Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 06:34 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Oh, and deport all republicans to an island. That should free up some jobs.
Or Siberia like Stalin did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 06:38 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"We have seen private sector job growth for 9 straight months. It hasn't been at the level we need it to be, but we are seeing growth in the private sector."

Hmm, according to my source, unemployment was constant at 9.7% for the first three months of 2010, jumped 2 tenths in April, fell 2 tenths in May and June only to jump back up to 9.6% in August and September. In other words, it is one tenth of one percent lower now than in January.

The United States Unemployment Rate (http://www.miseryindex.us/urbymonth.asp - broken link)

Since by any objective standard that completely sucks, what do you suppose Democrats might try next?

"One thing I would like to see passed, is the closing of the tax loopholes for corporations who outsource jobs that was recently filibustered."

You might be on to something there as long as they don't bury made to order exemptions and loopholes for their corporate masters in the endless reams of unread legal gobbledygook. I would like to read it before giving my support. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. If you have a link to the actual bill, please post it. I couldn't find anything except the LSM sheep chow summation.

OK, I read it. The carrots and sticks are in place and that's a good thing, but I don't see where the funds to be transferred from the general fund to cover the payroll taxes not collected are made up for elsewhere either with tax increases or spending cuts per Pay-Go. Won't this bill add to the deficit with what is essentually well intentioned corporate welfare?

Read The Bill: S. 3816 - GovTrack.us

If I'm wrong about that, please explain how so.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Well, Obama has mentioned lately that he'd like to see tax breaks eliminated to companies who outsource our jobs. That might help.

"COORDINATION WITH PAYROLL TAX FORGIVENESS OF QUALIFIED REPLACEMENT INDIVIDUALS- The term ‘wages’ shall not include any amount paid or incurred to a qualified replacement individual (as defined in section 3111(e)(3)) during the 2-year period beginning on the hiring date of such individual by an employer unless such employer makes an election not to have section 3111(e) apply."

"There are hereby appropriated to the Federal Old-Age and Survivors Trust Fund and the Federal Disability Insurance Trust Fund established under section 201 of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 401) amounts equal to the reduction in revenues to the Treasury by reason of the amendments made by subsection (a). Amounts appropriated by the preceding sentence shall be transferred from the general fund at such times and in such manner as to replicate to the extent possible the transfers which would have occurred to such Trust Fund had such amendments not been enacted."

Read The Bill: S. 3816 - GovTrack.us

How is this not deficit growing unfunded corporate welfare?

The Bush tax cuts are a give away to the rich, but this is OK?

Aren't we effectively paying payroll taxes on behalf of internationals with more borrowed money?

What happened to Pay-Go?

Old 10-28-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:

So apart from the unfunded give away to international corporations that S.3816 would have been, you have nothing?

Old 10-28-2010, 06:59 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So apart from the unfunded give away to international corporations that S.3816 would have been, you have nothing?
Sorry. I can't speak for anyone else, but threads with titles like yours almost always turn out to be a trap for anyone responding. After a while, people tend to shy away from such threads.

Besides, the thread is based on a premise that it's even possible for the Democrats to retain control of both chambers, and that just isn't going to happen.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Sorry. I can't speak for anyone else, but threads with titles like yours almost always turn out to be a trap for anyone responding. After a while, people tend to shy away from such threads.

Besides, the thread is based on a premise that it's even possible for the Democrats to retain control of both chambers, and that just isn't going to happen.

People shy away because they don't have an answer, just lots of mud to sling.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:34 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

Ponder this... Clinton was President in 1993 with a Democrat Congress he and Allan Greenspan deregulated Wall St. he signed NAFTA into law with the creation of Fannie-Freddie Maes.Clintons 2nd term he signed the permanent China trade deal in 1998 which is killing what is left of our manufacturing. His policies put the Repubs in power durning his 2nd term he changed his agenda and worked the ailse and created the biggest economic boom since Reagan with Republican help? Shouldn't they get some credit? No... just the blame of what was put into play nearly 18 years ago and remember Bush was not a member of Congress or a party to what your elected officials did do in Washington. I do not like either party and dislike the direction we are going now even more.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:54 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
After thinking about it, I think it is best for the Democrat to win this election. Give them two more years to destroy this country. More unemployment, more government spending, and more entitlements to the big corporations. Then people finally take their head out of their a$$ and a revolution will start and overthrow this corrupted government.

If Republican, they will continue playing the same games they have been pay for the last 30 years. They pretend they are doing, but really just a show and working on the agenda slowly. When changes happens slowly, people will not resist much.

Just ask, if not because of Bush and Republic controlled house and senate and then follow by Obama and Democrat house and senate, do you think tea party movement will get any momentum? Probably not.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Ponder this... Clinton was President in 1993 with a Democrat Congress he and Allan Greenspan deregulated Wall St. he signed NAFTA into law with the creation of Fannie-Freddie Maes.Clintons 2nd term he signed the permanent China trade deal in 1998 which is killing what is left of our manufacturing. His policies put the Repubs in power during his 2nd term he changed his agenda and worked the ailse and created the biggest economic boom since Reagan with Republican help? Shouldn't they get some credit? No... just the blame of what was put into play nearly 18 years ago and remember Bush was not a member of Congress or a party to what your elected officials did do in Washington. I do not like either party and dislike the direction we are going now even more.

I noticed no one said renegotiate or completely can NAFTA. I remember Democrats talking about revisiting NAFTA and other trade agreement during the primaries, so why has nothing been done to date?

Old 10-28-2010, 09:00 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
Quote:
It would free up a lot of the jobs, but unfortunately it would also remove most of the actual employers, leaving your side in basically the same position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies