U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 04:57 PM

57,048 posts, read 32,066,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Sure they do. They happily admit it and laugh. They will laugh at you and everyone else giving them their paychecks. I see it everyday. MANY people, not all of course, have grown up on welfare programs and know no other way. There is to stigma, no backlash, and the money keeps rolling in.
LOL...what kind of folks are you hanging around where you'd see it everyday? People happily admitting that they love welfare and then laugh about it?

Must be a tough neighborhood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 05:28 PM

29,724 posts, read 37,262,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Obviously, the overwhelming majority of people collecting SS were more than willing to work.

And no matter what you say, it's not a welfare program in the way that YOU mean welfare. If you want to categorize it under the principle of "general welfare" as meant in the Constitution..then fine. I can live with that.

Still though...if welfare by ANY definition exceeds spending on DOD and wars, GOOD!! When we aren't spending money to build societies in Iraq and Afghanistan not to mention the cost of maintaining military bases in Germany, Korea, Japan, etc (when they should be paying for our presence there), then i'll complain about welfare to my fellow Americans if i see fit to do so...but not one day before.
Well I know several definitions of welfare and none of them are "bad" per se. You would know not all of the people receiving welfare, in fact a good percentage, receive welfare and are able bodied people who could work. We're not talking grandma with a bad hip and sever diabetes here. We're also not talking abut a disabled grandfather who's supporting 8 kids that were left with him from his defunct drug-addict daughter.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Well I know several definitions of welfare and none of them are "bad" per se. You would know not all of the people receiving welfare, in fact a good percentage, receive welfare and are able bodied people who could work. We're not talking grandma with a bad hip and sever diabetes here. We're also not talking abut a disabled grandfather who's supporting 8 kids that were left with him from his defunct drug-addict daughter.
I'm well aware that there are people who receive welfare that are able bodied. I also know that there are able bodied people who receive welfare that DO work. There is the mother who works and doesn't make quite enough for groceries, so she gets food stamps. I have no beef with that. There is also the big farmer or rancher who rakes in thousands in welfare subsidies in the form of price supports etc. that he really doesn't need but takes anyway. He's also probably the same guy who ******* about big government and votes for Republicans.

In any case, i've already laid out for you what has to happen before i complain about welfare programs to my fellow Americans. When those things happen, then i'll be more than willing to review welfare cuts in this country. Until then...i'm disinterested.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:51 PM

29,724 posts, read 37,262,461 times
Quote:
Whatever. Again...you have 700 billion for defense and 3 trillion for useless wars. Nobody seems to have a complaint about that.

Well, Welfare is a pittance compared to that. So i really don't care.
This is what you laid out and it's been dispelled.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:52 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,867,394 times
Quote:
Whatever. Again...you have 700 billion for defense and 3 trillion for useless wars. Nobody seems to have a complaint about that.

Well, Welfare is a pittance compared to that. So i really don't care.

In other words, you believe two wrongs make a right.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:36 PM

3,811 posts, read 3,976,383 times
Quote:
LOL...what kind of folks are you hanging around where you'd see it everyday? People happily admitting that they love welfare and then laugh about it?

Must be a tough neighborhood.
I've explained many times. I'm a police officer and the city I work in is primarily a middle to low class area; with a VERY high percentage of welfare recipients. I see it every single day of my life (while at work, I don't live where I work, although I grew up in that city).

These people LAUGH at you. They really do. I posted on another thread about a 32 yr old female, 6 children, 6 different fathers, and pregnant with the 7th (7th father). She has been on welfare her whole life, has NEVER worked a day, and has a brand new 62" LCD Television in her home, new leather furniture, and a 2010 Honda Accord parked outside.

Her exact words to me were, "Why work? I get everything I want for free." Now is that the sentiment for ALL welfare recepients? Of course not, however, it IS for the majority of welfare recpients I come in contact with. They laugh at the liberal mentality and they love the free money they get. Not too mention, where/why do you think these people have time too: Break into your homes? Rob you? Et al? Because they don't work, get free healthcare, welfare benefits, etc. All on your (and my) dime.

I can show anyone who wants too: Apartments and houses, with grandmother, mother, child, and grandchild; all brought up on welfare. All since the early 60's. NONE of them have worked a day in their life. NONE of them have even a high school diploma. However, they have cost the taxpayer MILLIONS of dollars. They haven't provided one dime to the system at all.

Of course, show a liberal this. And the first words out of their mouths is: Corporate Welfare. Of course, that isn't the issue, but the will go and run, hide behind their trees, smoke their dope, and claim its all Rush Limbaugh's fault.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
In other words, you believe two wrongs make a right.
No. However, i don't want to pay for silly wars nor do i want to rebuild countries that i've help pay to invade. I don't want to build schools, roads, hospitals, grids, bridges and other infrastructure projects in those countries while bitching about building those things here. I don't want to build a 600 million dollar embassy in one of those countries either. And i most certainly don't want to pay for their elections.

Moreover, i don't want to pay to keep American troops in foreign countries when those countries can not only pay for their own defense, but can pay for our presence there if they deem our presence there to be so critical to their security.

So i'll complain about one wrong at a time...thank you very much. And i'm not going to whine about the one that benefits Americans until the other wrong that DOESN'T benefit Americans comes to an end.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:04 PM

10,854 posts, read 8,737,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
ADue to the way the wealth is distributed, the top 5% of Americans contribute over 80% of the government's total revenues. Have you ever wondered from a statistical point how it is possible for the percentage of Americans NOT paying federal income taxes to rise to close to 50%, and yet tax revenues remain constant?
Tax revenues DO NOT STAY CONSTANT!

Historical Tax Revenue
George W. Bush Jr.
All figures are trillions of dollars
2001 - $1.9911
2002 - $1.8531
2003 - $1.7823
2004 - $1.8801
2005 - $2.1536
2006 - $2.4069
2007 - $2.5680
2008 - $2.5240
Increase from beginning to end of term: 26.56%
Highest Marginal Tax Rate 2003 -39.6%
Lowest Marginal Tax Rate 2004 -35%
Harry Truman
Increases in tax revenue
Harry Truman
1945 - $45.2 billion
1952 - $66.2 billion
Increase - 46.46%
Highest Marginal Tax Rate 1945 - 94.0%
Lowest Marginal Tax Rate 1946 - 91%

Dwight D. Eisenhower
1953 - $69.6 billion
1960 - $92.5 billion
Increase - 32.90%
Higest Marginal Tax Rate 1953 - 92.0%
Lowest Marginal Tax Rate 1954 - 91%

John F. Kennedy - Lyndon B. Johnson
1961 - $94.4 billion
1968 - $153 bilion
Increase - 62.76%
Higest Marginal Tax Rate 1961 - 91.0%
Lowest Marginal Tax Rate 1965 - 70.0%

Richard M. Nixon - Gerald R. Ford
1969 - $186.9 billion
1976 - $298.1 billion
Increase - 59.50%
Highest Marginal Tax Rate - 70%

Ronald Reagan
1981 - $599.3 billion
1988 - $909.2 billion
Increase - 51.2%
Highest Marginal Tax Rate 1981 - 70.0%
Lowest Marginal Tax Rate 1988 - 28.0%

Bill Clinton
1993 - $1.1543
2000 - $2.0252
Increase - 75.43%
Highest Marginal Tax Rate - 39.6%

Old 11-14-2010, 11:21 PM

25,161 posts, read 51,181,914 times
I think you imagined that. Because our society at large is nothing like as how you described. Nobody I know wants to live on welfare or in poverty. Everybody wants to work for their living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank cartwright View Post
to artsyguy i will tell you how welfare has destroyed are nation.the largest prison population in the world,non producing,non tax paying,lazy worthless breeders living of the backs of the rest of the people who have to work till were 68 and scrimp and save every penny so these blood suckers can stay home and get drunk/high have more unwanted kids WAKE THE HELL UP!!! STOP BELIEVING A PIPE DREAM LIVE IN THESE NEIGHBORHOODS AND GET A FREAKIN CLUE!!!

Old 11-15-2010, 12:02 AM

14 posts, read 28,469 times
to artsyguy please read Phil306 above thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies