Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:44 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
What other "prescription drugs" has the public ever voted upon to make "legal"? That alone makes it fishy. Were it re-categorized by the FDA and dispensed only through regular pharmacies there would be no real issue. What is going on in California and Colorado right now with legalization for medical marijuana is a joke.
Cocaine is legal with prescription. I know, I used to ship a 10% cocaine 90% water solution out of a medical warehouse in Nashville back in the late 90's. LSD and Opium was shipped out as well, for doctors prescription needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 12:51 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,002 times
Default Not quite the right question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
What other "prescription drugs" has the public ever voted upon to make "legal"? That alone makes it fishy. Were it re-categorized by the FDA and dispensed only through regular pharmacies there would be no real issue. What is going on in California and Colorado right now with legalization for medical marijuana is a joke.
What other prescription drug has the federal government ever banned by using the Commerce Clause with an explanation and basis that defys real logic?

Why has the government refused to follow the recommendations of presidential study panels and independant researchers on marijuana?

Why is synthetic marinol (THC) considered a medical treatment (at $8,000 per year for the typical patient) but the natural plant (which you can grow at a very low cost) that contains THC, considered so dangerous?

The AMA would like the FDA and the DEA to reschedule marijuana so that legitimate study can be done in the US, but so far the DEA and FDA refuse to do so.

You are not going to get pharmacies dispensing marijuana because the DEA has said it will yank the license of any Dr who writes a perscription for it, although the same DEA allows perscriptions for marinol. That is why the medical marijuana law in AZ, that was passed TWICE by the voters failed - because it conflicted with federal law. The new law says (as do the other 14 states with medical marijuana laws) that a Dr RECOMMENDATION is what is needed.

There is nothing fishy about the 14 states who have enacted medical marijuana laws having the right and the will to do so. They know that there are legitimate patients that get real relief from using marijuana and that the bogus patients are at least not subsidizing the local gangs and cartel activity and the taxes they already pay contribute to suppoting local government. Harm reduction is an understandable goal for any society, which is why CA's Governor recently signed into law the decriminalization of marijuana for personal use, citing the need to re-direct police resources to serious crime.

What is going on right now in CA and CO and other states is once again a reaction to the federal government's failure to act (immigration anyone?).

Old 11-01-2010, 12:58 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,828,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
My idea of legalized prostitution would be something like:

Each prostitute would have a business license - which can only be acquired and maintained by mandatory STD testing (at a fee to cover state expenses - say $20) each month. After that, the prostitute would be either self-employed or he/she could be an employee of a business that hosts a number of prostitutes "for nightly sale".

When a person buys a prostitute (let's say $100 to make it even), a 10% state tax is levied upon the purchase. Therefore, his transaction would be $110. After that, tax rules apply just as they would any other trade.

So yeah. Legalize prostitution. Legalize marijuana. Tax it nicely.
Need a prescription to buy marijuana legally. I wonder who would write the prescription for sex? Who else?

DR. LOVE

Old 11-01-2010, 01:20 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
I do favor the legalization of marijuana so that it can be taxed

Not me. I favor the legalization of marijuana because I enjoy it, am aware of the health risks, and feel its nobody's damn business if I toke up.

Now, were it to be a legal substance, I have no problem with Uncle Sam taxing it. Fine. But I do not view the government's fiscal recklessness as a legitimate reason.

Besides, do you think that will solve any fiscal problems? Like pro athletes, they will just spend more.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:00 AM

131 posts, read 113,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
if it's legalized, there will still be so many black-market sources growing it that won't pay a penny in taxes.
Not if its illegal possession, packaging, distribution, or sales will land you in prison for a lengthy sentence on a felony!

Old 11-23-2010, 10:09 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
and finally the left will have something they like get taxed to death. perhaps it might open their eyes on taxation?
If they legalize it for age 21+, I really don't care, except that the number of people driving who are high, bothers me. How would you test a person who was driving while high? The levels of THC remain in your system for a long time, so how could you determine how long ago a person last smoked up, and whether they were DUI at the time of the accident?

Old 11-23-2010, 10:10 AM

131 posts, read 113,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i don't get your point. vegetables and fruit aren't taxed.

my point is, if marijuana taxes were to amount to much at all, it would quickly drive the majority of production to the personal level, which is impossible to tax.
You make a good point. Which is what I've been saying all along. At first, the government is going to have to take complete control over its cultivation, packaging, distribution, and sales.

Growing it at home for anyone has to remain an unlawful felony, otherwise a blackmarket will be sustained. In order to completely eliminate the blackmarket, the growth of marijuana has to exclusive done under the guise of the federal government.

I don't want my hippie grandma gettin' arrested for growing one plant but the law is the law, and it is what it is!

Old 11-23-2010, 10:36 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrowlane View Post
You make a good point. Which is what I've been saying all along. At first, the government is going to have to take complete control over its cultivation, packaging, distribution, and sales.

Growing it at home for anyone has to remain an unlawful felony, otherwise a blackmarket will be sustained. In order to completely eliminate the blackmarket, the growth of marijuana has to exclusive done under the guise of the federal government.

I don't want my hippie grandma gettin' arrested for growing one plant but the law is the law, and it is what it is!

Let's do what we can to reduce Government Surveillance and Government Gotchas, shall we?

Tax corporations - not people!

Old 11-23-2010, 11:16 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,581,431 times
The income on the sale of marijuana is already taxed, but the greedy drug dealers don't pay their taxes.

Publication 17 (2009), Your Federal Income Tax

"Illegal activities. Income from illegal activities, such as money from dealing illegal drugs, must be included in your income on Form 1040, line 21, or on Schedule C or Schedule C-EZ (Form 1040) if from your self-employment activity. "

Old 11-23-2010, 11:45 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
If they legalize it for age 21+, I really don't care, except that the number of people driving who are high, bothers me. How would you test a person who was driving while high? The levels of THC remain in your system for a long time, so how could you determine how long ago a person last smoked up, and whether they were DUI at the time of the accident?
I wondered this too but I finally found the answer, The officer will offer you a bag of Doritos and a yo-yo, if you can't resist your stoned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies