Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 09:19 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
So why waste your time in medical school to be an anesthesiologist?

Get a CRNA! Less time, less money, less knowledge, less malpractice insurance...
Good question. Except you are wrong about less knowledge. CRNAs are very experienced and knowledgeable. You may be surprised to learn that more than 65% of anesthetics are administered by CRNAs in this country!

Nurse anesthetists or certified registered nurse anesthetists (CRNA) are licensed professional nurses (RNs) who undergo extensive training, become nationally certified by exam after graduation, and then provide services similar to an anesthesiologist. CRNAs can be licensed and practice in all fifty states.

Quote:
CRNAs are the sole anesthesia providers in approximately two-thirds of all rural hospitals in the country. Wendell Spencer, CRNA, MHS, is a partner in a group of nurse anesthetists that contracts with 12 small hospitals in Nebraska and South Dakota. Spencer spends $600 a month on gasoline traveling between the hospitals, which are located up to 70 miles in all directions from his home. Some days he works 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. On days when he's on call and doesn't get any cases, Spencer doesn't get paid.

"It takes a uniquely dedicated professional to be out here providing services for these patients," says Spencer, who is the Region 4 director for the AANA. "I love the fact that the patients get to know me on a first-name basis. They count on me and trust me with something pretty sacred, which is the loss of control for them. They trust me to put them to sleep and wake them up."
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist Careers | Monster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 09:19 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
It will be soon if doctors continue to ***** and moan about taking care of Medicare patients!
Can you come up with some really good examples of how medical people get paid for Medicare treatment? I can from my own experience of nearly 13 years of Medicare care. It is not funny, at all, how the bureaucrats in the stae capital treat doctors and remember that to treat Medicare people they have to agree to take what they can get from those bureaucrats.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I thought you were for less government spending. Medicare is on track to become totally insolvent by 2017. What is your solution? If doctors don't want to take responsibility for healthcare of our senior citizens, I can guarantee you that nurses are willing!
I know that those who drew up this law expect me to be dead by 2017 but just in case they are wrong I don't want any of the nurses who have worked with my internalist of years doing my endoscopys after he is gone and he is about to retire because of his age. I think I will stick to surgeons of some kind for that kind of invasive checking.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Yes, and social security. Over time of course, people are not prepared yet. If Medicare didn't exist more employers would continue medical benefits into retirement. Additionally, those who couldn't afford to buy insurance could be given a tax credit to purchase insurance in the private market. Increased competition would ultimately lower costs without an unfair impact on providers. As you accurately pointed out Medicare is on the brink of bankruptcy, something has to change. Squeezing providers will not save it.

Your fantasy of nurses taking over for physicians simply will not happen. Eliminating Medicare would happen first.
Ah.........excuse me. Do you remember why Medicare was enacted in the first place? After people retired, they could not get health insurance!

As far as your opinion of Medicare being eliminated before nurses take care of seniors, that is your feeble opinion only!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I know that those who drew up this law expect me to be dead by 2017 but just in case they are wrong I don't want any of the nurses who have worked with my internalist of years doing my endoscopys after he is gone and he is about to retire because of his age. I think I will stick to surgeons of some kind for that kind of invasive checking.

You may not have a choice unless you can pay the difference yourself. Which is what many conservatives want...........government out of their healthcare!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
You want to get rid of Medicare?

LOL, nurses are ready, willing, and able to take care of this countries healthcare needs at a fraction of the cost of physicians! Again, if doctors are unwilling to take care of our country's senior citizens, nurses are willing and will! Like it or not!
When will Dirty Harry and his group of union leaders who wrote Obamacare be writing the new laws that allow nurses to take the places of doctors? Surely you know that the states are in charge of that kind of thing but soon after this pile of progressive aimed crap takes place the states will be secondary since the national government will be well on its way to making all the rules.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Can you come up with some really good examples of how medical people get paid for Medicare treatment? I can from my own experience of nearly 13 years of Medicare care. It is not funny, at all, how the bureaucrats in the stae capital treat doctors and remember that to treat Medicare people they have to agree to take what they can get from those bureaucrats.
No problem! Nurses are willing to provide cost-effective medical care to Medicare patients if doctors are not willing to!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:27 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Ah.........excuse me. Do you remember why Medicare was enacted in the first place? After people retired, they could not get health insurance!

As far as your opinion of Medicare being eliminated before nurses take care of seniors, that is your feeble opinion only!

Medicare was enacted 50 years ago, times have changed. Also don't forget life expectancy was much lower and there were far more workers supporting each retiree than there are today.

Ah, it may be my opinion but it is much more realistic than your fantasy. Ask people if they would rather be treated by a physician or a nurse for a serious disease and I believe the vast majority would choose a physician.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:29 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
No problem! Nurses are willing to provide cost-effective medical care to Medicare patients if doctors are not willing to!
Yes, I am sure there are Dentists who are willing to provide medical care, it doesn't make them qualified either!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
When will Dirty Harry and his group of union leaders who wrote Obamacare be writing the new laws that allow nurses to take the places of doctors? Surely you know that the states are in charge of that kind of thing but soon after this pile of progressive aimed crap takes place the states will be secondary since the national government will be well on its way to making all the rules.
Roy. It is the doctors who are refusing to take care of Medicare patients. Nurses are willing to. The government cannot pay for what it can no longer afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies