Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 08:01 PM

451 posts, read 835,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockx View Post
Yeah, I sit around and make up stories.

These are 100% true, your BS detector fails you.

Are you white? Do you hang out with people other than white people?
Actually I'm black and I have had friends from just about every race. White,black,asian.hispanic.
Oh and I just remembered a few of racist things that I encountered but they all took place before 1975.

From my experience your story is far from typical.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:44 PM

72 posts, read 434,227 times
There are so many interracial couples here in Orange County. I would think people would be used to different cultures.

I think a lot of racism is subtle and not obvious. Like when a company doesn't hire a qualified person due to his or her race.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:11 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
I live in Newport Beach, yes it is definitely the worst area, but I pointed out places outside of NB too. It is all around.
One can probably find racism almost everywhere in the United States -- it's an ingrained part of the national "fabric." In terms of dealing with it, one can either try to flee from it or stand firm and challenge it. If the parents of Sylvia Mendez had fled from Orange County because of racism in the 1940s, "separate but equal" would probably still be the law of the land in the United States when it comes to education.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:01 PM

581 posts, read 2,306,634 times
I have seen no racism in Irvine. Every ethnic background lives amongst
themselves. I think people are over-doing it on this topic. There is far
more racism in other parts of the US.. You want to see racism.. Go to
Atlanta, Detroit, or St. Louis as a whiteboy.. You'll be lucky not be beaten
and left for dead..

Old 07-10-2007, 01:26 AM

157 posts, read 675,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
Actually I'm black and I have had friends from just about every race. White,black,asian.hispanic.
Oh and I just remembered a few of racist things that I encountered but they all took place before 1975.

From my experience your story is far from typical.
Hey congrats on being part of the huge 1.9% African-American population in OC, I am honored to meet you.

Again most of my racial experiences have been towards my hispanic wife. Maybe OC is just racist towards hispanics? Which is insane to me because 35% of the population is Hispanic!

I have felt major stereotyping here in OC, I have heard it and seen it with my own eyes. My examples are facts, they happened believe it or not this county is worse than Phoenix when it comes to racism, further behind Orlando, Fl and way way behind NYC or San Francisco.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Hey congrats on being part of the huge 1.9% African-American population in OC, I am honored to meet you.

Again most of my racial experiences have been towards my hispanic wife. Maybe OC is just racist towards hispanics? Which is insane to me because 35% of the population is Hispanic!

I have felt major stereotyping here in OC, I have heard it and seen it with my own eyes. My examples are facts, they happened believe it or not this county is worse than Phoenix when it comes to racism, further behind Orlando, Fl and way way behind NYC or San Francisco.
I have a white mother and black father and just about everybody that I have ever met including Mexicans has assumed that I am Mexican. Infact I have gotten into arguments with people who start speaking spanish to me and will not accept the fact that don't understand them.

So not counting pre 1975 I have lived in Costa Mesa,Newport Beach and Fountain valley and worked in Santa Ana. The most racism that I saw was from hispanic males who refered to white males as "stupid white boys"

Maybe I've just been lucky or maybe I never really was looking for it so I just didn't notice, either way I have been very happy and never had those kinds of problems.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:43 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,780,761 times
I grew up in Orange County and have had friends and acquaintances of all races and various ethnicities. I have also worked with immigrants and natives of various ethnicities in OC. I live in a multiracial neighborhood now in Washington state. Look, Orange County has what, three million people? Among so many people you will always find racist chuckleheads. It's just the stupid being themselves.

When I was in high school, there were only three blacks in my school, two of them from the same family. They were all well liked (both the girls were hot and honor students, in fact) and one of them was even elected as a school officeholder. This was back in the mid 1970's.

As for the image of Mexicans in OC, well, I hate to say it, but you can thank the gang members and illegals for that. Most of the trouble at my brother's junior high was by Mexican kids (when it wasn't drugged up white kids) and it was those gang members who tend to be most vociferous about the whole La Raza thing. The Mecha chapters in my school district were all populated by gang bangers. Plus they have seen the overcrowding and cultural conflicts illegal immigration has caused. If you want to stop racism against Mexicans in Orange County, stand up strong for enforcing immigration laws and mass deportations.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:31 PM

I could understand what you are saying, but in this case my wife is gorgeous, dresses nice, drives a nice new car, has 2 B.S. degrees, makes 6 figures and speaks fluent english and happens to be mexican.

There is no way she could be thought of as an illegal or a gang banger.

Why should she be subjected to your SoCal historical grudge against mexican illegals?

It is generalizing and racism. It is like saying all white people in OC are blonde and surf, therefore I don't like them.

You know what, I am not from OC and I am not used to the accepted level of racism you have here, I am just in shock.

Last edited by rockx; 07-10-2007 at 07:25 PM..

Old 07-10-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I could understand what you are saying, but in this case my wife is gorgeous, dresses nice, drives a nice new car, has 2 B.S. degrees, makes 6 figures and speaks fluent english and happens to be mexican.

There is no way she could be thought of as an illegal or a gang banger.

Why should she be subjected to your SoCal historical grudge against mexican illegals?

It is generalizing and racism. It is like saying all white people in OC are blonde and surf, therefore I don't like them.

You know what, I am not from OC and I am not used to accepted level of racism you have here, I am just in shock.
Maybe the same reason you generalized Newport Beach as "Fake, Rich, Ugly Old, racist snobs that raise their children the same way."

Just a thought.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
Maybe the same reason you generalized Newport Beach as "Fake, Rich, Ugly Old, racist snobs that raise their children the same way."

Just a thought.
Hey at least I am not racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies