Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 06:52 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
What is horrifying these sage Republican voters is that Tea Party candidates ARE IN FACT Republican candidates. These candidates are not stable people for starters. I know Neocons horrified some Republican voters too, and many switched at that time. GOP needs to find its roots or go bankrupt. The corporatists and loons have taken over.
I agree. The Republicans will never find their roots because their roots were based in liberalism such as ending slavery and helping the black people and immigrants. You certainly would have never heard "state's rights" from Lincoln.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 06:53 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,744,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Why do you think the federal government has had to be so to the fore in these unprecedented ways since about October 2008? Do you honestly believe that the $2T is on the sidelines because this admin created the present instability and uncertainty?!

Btw, GM IPO: GM to kick-start a road-show to encourage stock sale - Business News - Stock Market Digital (http://www.stockmarketdigital.com/sectors/nasdaq-usa/gm-ipo-gm-kick-start-road-show-encourage-stock-sale - broken link)
Absolutely, Obamacare and tax policy are the two biggest unknowns that are holding business back.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:29 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Absolutely, Obamacare and tax policy are the two biggest unknowns that are holding business back.
Since Obamacare doesn't kick in til 2013 and the Health Care Act has been completed for quite awhile, lawyers and CFOs surely have been having fun extrapolating the game plans to about 2023, and since businesses already have, or SHOULD have, their worst case tax scenarios already planned for, I really think those are just excuses for holding onto the money. It's good that they're keeping that money growing for the time being until the week or so arrives when they and investors finally act on strong signals that global recovery is solidly happening. (That's a bad description but if you invest you'll know that kind of mass movement when you see it.) Don't know when or how that'll happen but a lot more things around the world have to be strong and in place first; I don't think the US won't be the first to drop the flag to signal a recovery.

But I think those two reasons are just an easy excuse.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:42 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,595,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Too funny! The Republicans are on the verge of taking over the government and to the loony left thinks they are in trouble. The left is a hoot!
Not funny if it happens Not funny at all, as proven already that 8 years of GOP was way too much. It has been completely taken over by two extremes of corporatism and religiousity (I am not talking about morality here, but overzealous religious fervor for one's religion imposed upon the state), neither of which belongs in good governance.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:04 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
Quote:
Not funny if it happens Not funny at all, as proven already that 8 years of GOP was way too much. It has been completely taken over by two extremes of corporatism and religiousity (I am not talking about morality here, but overzealous religious fervor for one's religion imposed upon the state), neither of which belongs in good governance.
I can't wait and hope all the TP'ers get in. Then their supporters can watch the big fail for themselves.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:24 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I absolutely think the R's will take the house at midterms--the question is, how long will they have a majority? If they start trying to follow through on their rhetoric with policy, and if we continue to see the kind of behavior coming from them that we've seen during the campaign, 2012 may be an entirely different story. As I said, reasonable people won't tolerate this kind of nonsense for long. It may be for the best that they win the house--let the American people see their true colors, and how they handle governing.
Thing is, each election cycle one side ends up outraged. Then they often resort to extreme hyperbole and absurd measures to make their voices heard, the other side condemns it as being unreasonable and then the next voting cycle begins. Often the pendulum will shift to the other side and many of the same points one side made or argued against are the same things they then adopt and the cycle continues.

I very much understand what you are saying and I think there are still large segments of more apolitical voters who don't engage so rabidly that will be offended by such displays, but during midterms these folks are usually the ones who vote the least. The one sure votes a person can count on during a midterm is from those of the party in minority and those screaming the loudest.

This particular midterm cycle is notable in that the economy really bit the big one and a lot of folks are feeling the pinch. Many don't have time to wait on Obama's plans as they are making choices between eating meat one more time this week or keeping the lights on. Personally I don't think it mattered a great deal which party held the reigns this administration, they would have faced the same thing.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:28 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
Quote:
What is horrifying these sage Republican voters is that Tea Party candidates ARE IN FACT Republican candidates. These candidates are not stable people for starters. I know Neocons horrified some Republican voters too, and many switched at that time. GOP needs to find its roots or go bankrupt. The corporatists and loons have taken over.
I suppose you fail to recognize that far left Progressives and radicals extremists have taken over the Democrat Party haven't you?

But, we do agree, that the GOP must return to its roots and that is exactly what the Tea Party movement is trying to do.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:30 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,843,220 times
Liberals trying to make something more than it really is is what this thread is about... People vote for opposition candidates all the time, especially if they particularly "hate" the candidate that holds their party's nomination.... liberals make you think this is something new? News to liberals, this has happened since the founding of this country... in other words, get a CLUE...

Old 10-29-2010, 03:32 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You mean the rhetoric about small government, lower taxes, stay out of our personal business and stop spending us into the poorhouse? That tea party nonsense? Yeah, right. Maybe you should move to a better neighborhood.

"By the end of 2009, 40 percent of Americans self-identified as conservative, up from 37 percent in 2008. Moderates clocked in at 36 percent, down from 37 a year earlier. And 21 percent of Americans self-identified as liberal, down a point from 2008."

Gallup: America the 'conservative'? - CSMonitor.com
Yeah, that same rhetoric that they always roll out and then forget about immediately after the election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies