Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:55 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Because there is an awful lot a stake. It's Big Business or the American people. We have to choose which we want to support.
This is what really irks me ... Yes, the Republican party has its special interest groups that they put ahead of the American people but guess what? So does the Democrats and too many of you guys are blind to see it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 12:01 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
Politicians love uniformed voters because they know full well ignorant citizens will vote for ignorant leaders.

And this election is going to be proof positive of that...
Yep ... Both parties are guilty of exploiting the ignorance of the masses.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:14 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,482,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Is it possible to have a conversation about issues without pitting one group against another?

Dems against Repubs?

White against (insert color group here)

Conservative against Liberal

Gay against Straight

Cable news watchers against Internet and Newspaper readers

Christians against (fill in the blank)

---------------------------------------------------

I know people pick sides and argue them.

We never seem to meet at the middle and I'm wondering if it's possible?

Or are we always going to be bickering about issues?

Does anyone have anything to say that will sway one side to the other where we can learn from each other or are we set in our convictions to the degree we cannot hear each other?
Nah, ninety-nine percent of people here are disingenuous when it comes to rationally debating anything. There's only a handful of people here who you tend to want to seek out. Other than that, i don't know what else to tell you....

Old 10-30-2010, 02:39 AM

956 posts, read 1,114,412 times
It's entertaining, but there is no such thing as civil politics. People who have fundamental differences seldom ever find common ground on big issues.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:51 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
It's entertaining, but there is no such thing as civil politics. People who have fundamental differences seldom ever find common ground on big issues.
Exactly.

What common ground is there on abortion? One group believes it's a baby from conception while the other believes it's a parasite until the umbilical cord is cut. Some go even further...

Gay marriage. If you feel it's wrong there is no middle ground.

Islam. If you think it's an abhorring religion based on some strange little dude that felt everyone who was not like them is an infidel, there is no middle ground.

Stem Cell Research. See first point.

There are many more but I think I made my point.

About the only middle ground found is in economics. I know of no one that feels helping the helpless is a bad thing. But there is a point where one group thinks going too far is bad and the other sees it as compassionate. There must be a tipping point somewhere in there.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:08 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
Access to the internet has, basically, opened up the Asylum doors.
People who used to rant and rave at home incoherently.
Now rant and rave HERE incoherently.

Steve
Yes -- without the constraints that come with human interaction. Artificial communication is the way of the future... the present.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:02 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Exactly.

What common ground is there on abortion? One group believes it's a baby from conception while the other believes it's a parasite until the umbilical cord is cut. Some go even further...

Gay marriage. If you feel it's wrong there is no middle ground.

Islam. If you think it's an abhorring religion based on some strange little dude that felt everyone who was not like them is an infidel, there is no middle ground.

Stem Cell Research. See first point.

There are many more but I think I made my point.

About the only middle ground found is in economics. I know of no one that feels helping the helpless is a bad thing. But there is a point where one group thinks going too far is bad and the other sees it as compassionate. There must be a tipping point somewhere in there.
Well there is a middle ground, just not here.

Seriously, just scan through topic titles and make a note. 1) its usually the same posters 2) the examples given, often even by adults is beyond extreme in its comparisons 3) (and this is one of my favorites) its not only all or nothing, but its the one drop rule. If I voted for Jimmy Carter, then voted for every Republican since, then I would be listed as a commie pinko American hating, yadda yadda, and the opposite is true just as well. If I supported every conservative measure Congress put forth but said I wasn't going to vote for McCain then I'm a heretic.

Its the ultimate rejection of logic, reason, and common sense, it is absolutism to the extreme. It is where ignorance is born and thrives and a perfect example is a thread denouncing hyper partisanship that turns out hyper partisan. The humorous irony just drips from every edge.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:16 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
This is what really irks me ... Yes, the Republican party has its special interest groups that they put ahead of the American people but guess what? So does the Democrats and too many of you guys are blind to see it!
I certainly do not disagree with you on this. I was remiss in not including Dems and their Big and Small Business support, they indeed share some of that with the Repubs. But it is the Dems, that much more so, include the American people in their list of special interests.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:32 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Is it possible to have a conversation about issues without pitting one group against another?

Dems against Repubs?

White against (insert color group here)

Conservative against Liberal

Gay against Straight

Cable news watchers against Internet and Newspaper readers

Christians against (fill in the blank)

---------------------------------------------------

I know people pick sides and argue them.

We never seem to meet at the middle and I'm wondering if it's possible?

Or are we always going to be bickering about issues?

Does anyone have anything to say that will sway one side to the other where we can learn from each other or are we set in our convictions to the degree we cannot hear each other?
Several reasons:

1) The topics that are discussed often arose strong emotions in those debating. Obviously it is going to get a bit heated from time to time.

2) Given that you are relatively anonymous online, people can voice their most extreme opinions with little fear of backlash. This is both a good and bad thing.

3) A lot of people love hyperbole and voicing their beliefs in the most flamboyant way possible. That is why you hear so many absolutes to the point of absurdity on this forum.

4) The internet naturally draws more extremists than most other formats. A political moderate with no party affiliation isn't going to be as vocal or active as the Neo-Nazi or Communist or Anarchist or conspiracy theorist.

5) Some people on this board are really stupid. They are incapable of recognizing some of the finer points out logic, like how using condoms is not morally equal to taking a flamethrower to a baby or how making fun of gay sex is not the same thing as beheading homosexuals a la Saudi Arabia. Sadly they make up a large minority on this forum.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:39 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well there is a middle ground, just not here.

Seriously, just scan through topic titles and make a note. 1) its usually the same posters 2) the examples given, often even by adults is beyond extreme in its comparisons 3) (and this is one of my favorites) its not only all or nothing, but its the one drop rule. If I voted for Jimmy Carter, then voted for every Republican since, then I would be listed as a commie pinko American hating, yadda yadda, and the opposite is true just as well. If I supported every conservative measure Congress put forth but said I wasn't going to vote for McCain then I'm a heretic.

Its the ultimate rejection of logic, reason, and common sense, it is absolutism to the extreme. It is where ignorance is born and thrives and a perfect example is a thread denouncing hyper partisanship that turns out hyper partisan. The humorous irony just drips from every edge.
And I've been here for 3 years!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies