Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 01:35 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
I really like those pesky labor laws that say you can't work me into an early grave
...except if you are an "exempt" (salaried) employee. The new slave class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 01:37 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It goes to show you how much then unions are a rip off.
AAhhhh, the smell of jealousy!!

Old 10-29-2010, 01:38 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,414,676 times
Quote:
That's the falacy conservatives and those ignorant of the good unions have done for the working man would like everyone to believe.

No company or corporation pays it's employees the salary and benefits it's does without the influence that the unions has had on employers both union and non-union shops.

He made pennies because his employer was able to low ball ,intimidate, and make sure that the employee believed he had no real work rights and had better be damn well happy with whatever peanuts he was getting.

Tell you what let's see how long it is before this guy gives up his new pay and benefits to go back to peanuts.

Let's see how much more he contributes to the business and retailers in his community and how much more he will contribute to the tax base of his community, seems like more than just this one indivisual benefits when we pay people more than peanuts.
what determines when we pay people more than peanuts?

i mean, we have a 23 yr old, with no journeyman license, and 2 years of electrician classes from high school, and has been on the job for under 3 years.

so, if you're telling me that there's nothing wrong with paying this guy $49/hr, then what are you going to pay the guy that's been working as an electrician for 20 years, and has all the credentials an electrician would ever want?

my buddy hasn't complained once to me about making $13/hr in the past...and actually bragged last year when he brought home a little under $40k. i'm just wondering how he's gonna feel a few weeks from now when he goes back to $13/hr...

Old 10-29-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Not necesarily, say I work on my own car (which I do) and need new front brake rotors. I know one set was made by American workers making a middle class wage in a factory where certain materials were mandated to be used, certain production and quality controls were in place which resulted in a long lastinf quality part or I had the choice of buying a part for half the price manufactured in Saigon using inferior materials, little or know quality control and prone to breaking and collapsing after 100,000 miles of use...which one do you think I would purchase??

Why did the American company have such a superior product?...in large part due to the Unions.

sorry, but your comparing apples to oranges...

we're talking about two products, both identical, made in the good old USA, except due to union pay, one product is 5 times expensive as the other product. the same people made that product, except on product was federally funded, the other was privately funded.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:48 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
wait, how is his company ripping off the tax payers? are bids not put in to do the work?? if there's a job like this that's federally funded, how do they determine who gets the work??
The job always goes to the highest bidder when the feds are concerned.

Actually any time the federal government is involved people get paid more money. They want to keep as many voters, as possible, happy.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:52 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,313 times
Quote:
sorry, but your comparing apples to oranges...

we're talking about two products, both identical, made in the good old USA, except due to union pay, one product is 5 times expensive as the other product. the same people made that product, except on product was federally funded, the other was privately funded.
I don't consider it comparing apples to oranges not at all!!!

But if the point was missed by you and you want to change the parameters of the question so be it.

If I had two identical items side by side and equal in quality but one cost approx 50% more (I seriously doubt a union product costs five times more due to union involemnt) and know that I was supporting a working person to maitain their middle class statndard of living, that I was helping to feed his family, pay for his house and we they purchased a product made by me that they would have the same consideration, then yes I would buy the union product!!

Old 10-29-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I don't consider it comparing apples to oranges not at all!!!

But if the point was missed by you and you want to change the parameters of the question so be it.

If I had two identical items side by side and equal in quality but one cost approx 50% more (I seriously doubt a union product costs five times more due to union involemnt) and know that I was supporting a working person to maitain their middle class statndard of living, that I was helping to feed his family, pay for his house and we they purchased a product made by me that they would have the same consideration, then yes I would buy the union product!!

riiiight...

Old 10-29-2010, 01:57 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,535,211 times
Quote:
what determines when we pay people more than peanuts?

i mean, we have a 23 yr old, with no journeyman license, and 2 years of electrician classes from high school, and has been on the job for under 3 years.

so, if you're telling me that there's nothing wrong with paying this guy $49/hr, then what are you going to pay the guy that's been working as an electrician for 20 years, and has all the credentials an electrician would ever want?

my buddy hasn't complained once to me about making $13/hr in the past...and actually bragged last year when he brought home a little under $40k. i'm just wondering how he's gonna feel a few weeks from now when he goes back to $13/hr...

Wait somethings not right here. Your saying that this young man does not have a license and thereby is NOT in a union nor insured. It appears that the owners of this company is taking a huge risk employing this person to work on a Government contract.
The owner of this company is not only taking a huge safety risk, but also a risk to his freedom if he lied during the bid process. When bidding on a Government construction contract, all of the workers have to be license and certified. What i'm reading, your friend is NOT.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Wait somethings not right here. Your saying that this young man does not have a license and thereby is NOT in a union nor insured. It appears that the owners of this company is taking a huge risk employing this person to work on a Government contract.
The owner of this company is not only taking a huge safety risk, but also a risk to his freedom if he lied during the bid process. When bidding on a Government construction contract, all of the workers have to be license and certified. What i'm reading, your friend is NOT.

would you be surprised if this kind of thing happens alot?

Old 10-29-2010, 02:01 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,535,211 times
Quote:
would you be surprised if this kind of thing happens alot?

look folks are going to do shady things when you waive money in their face no matter what. Your friend was a fool to tell anyone no matter how much of a friend he believes you to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies