Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 06:09 PM

888 posts, read 1,186,748 times

Advertisements

I really do NOT know what a real Conservative is?
I doubt there are many real Conservatives on C-D either?
LOTS of windbags, who CALL themselves Conservatives though?
Just like calling all Liberals, Communists isn't it?

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 09:27 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Someone like Jack Kemp.
Sorry, but Jack Kemp wasn't a real Conservative. He was from a bygone era when the Republican Party still had moderates. He wouldn't fit the current Conservative ideology. For one, he simply wasn't a racist. Two, he actually favored helping poor and disadvantaged people. The current Conservative ideology is "If you're not rich then **** you"

Old 10-31-2010, 08:55 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Sorry, but Jack Kemp wasn't a real Conservative. He was from a bygone era when the Republican Party still had moderates. He wouldn't fit the current Conservative ideology. For one, he simply wasn't a racist. Two, he actually favored helping poor and disadvantaged people. The current Conservative ideology is "If you're not rich then **** you"
My point exactly. Once upon a time, conservatism meant caring about the greater good. Not anymore.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
2008 ran on emotions.
2010 is running on emotions as well.

I voted to put a Dem back in office in my local elections. Why not..he did a good job and his running mate was a no name with no experience.
and I voted for a couple of Democrats as well. One is our governor. He hasn't done a bad job, in fact on most things he has been pretty successful. As conservative as I am, I am also open minded and I rarely vote a straight ticket.

NIta

Old 10-31-2010, 12:11 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
A liberal knows who a real conservative is? Oh give me a break. That's like saying a civil engineer knows how to perform surgery on patients. Obviously a "real conservative" to a liberal is someone who's gonna say some of the same things liberals say like "big government is good! I want more government. Give me more government! Because the people are too helpless to help themselves!"

Old 10-31-2010, 12:38 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
A liberal knows who a real conservative is? Oh give me a break. That's like saying a civil engineer knows how to perform surgery on patients. Obviously a "real conservative" to a liberal is someone who's gonna say some of the same things liberals say like "big government is good! I want more government. Give me more government! Because the people are too helpless to help themselves!"
Actually, no, a real conservative is someone who stands his or her ground with regard to fiscal responsibility and doesn't engage in financial parlor tricks to keep the base happy. And do you know how I know this? I know this because as was noted yesterday, no one is 100% liberal or conservative, Democrat or Republican 100% of the time. There are a lot of things that I am quite conservative about and one of the biggest is hypocrisy. Another is small-mindedness of the type illustrated above. How has it happened that people are so unwilling to hear any 'side' that they perceive different from their own? How does one make educated choices when one has no idea what the alternatives really represent?

A perfect example of real conservatism:

British government outlines big spending cuts - USATODAY.com

Notice that virtually nothing was spared - not defense, not subsidies to the wealthiest of citizens. Nothing. And taxes will be raised.
Also notice, that this is a conservative-liberal coalition government.
Will any of these so-called conservatives hoping to be elected on Tuesday have the guts to make these sorts of big decisions, or will they continue to appease the likes of the Chamber of Commerce and all of their other lobbyists?
Frank Rich says "no" and I have to agree:

"The main dining room remains reserved for Koch’s fellow oil barons, Lott’s clients, the corporate contributors (known and anonymous) to groups like Rove’s American Crossroads, and, of course, the large coterie of special interests underwriting John Boehner, the presumptive next speaker of the House. Boehner is the largest House recipient of Wall Street money this year — much of it from financial institutions bailed out by TARP."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/31/op...31rich.html?hp

Old 10-31-2010, 01:02 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Notice that virtually nothing was spared - not defense, not subsidies to the wealthiest of citizens. Nothing. And taxes will be raised.
Also notice, that this is a conservative-liberal coalition government.
Will any of these so-called conservatives hoping to be elected on Tuesday have the guts to make these sorts of big decisions, or will they continue to appease the likes of the Chamber of Commerce and all of their other lobbyists?
Frank Rich says "no" and I have to agree:

"The main dining room remains reserved for Koch’s fellow oil barons, Lott’s clients, the corporate contributors (known and anonymous) to groups like Rove’s American Crossroads, and, of course, the large coterie of special interests underwriting John Boehner, the presumptive next speaker of the House. Boehner is the largest House recipient of Wall Street money this year — much of it from financial institutions bailed out by TARP."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/31/op...31rich.html?hp
You're pretty much preaching to the choir here. I know that the Republicans are just a bunch of liberal cowards who don't back up what they say. I've also been predicting that the GOP is only gonna slow down the march of globalism on the U.S., not stop it. The Dems want it full speed ahead while the GOP wants it as well just not as fast. That's the only difference between the 2 parties.

For the red text I highlighted, yes that is real conservatism I agree. I want 95% of the federal government spending to be cut. I'm a believer in that the federal government's sole purpose is to protect the U.S. from foreign invasion and to regulate business transactions from across state lines. Not to get in the powers that are reserved to the states which they are doing. And you mistake me. I'm not a petty fake conservative like Sarah Palin, Gingrich, Boner, McConnell, and the rest of them. I want the U.S. to withdraw from ALL foreign organizations, including the U.N., NATO, NAFTA, etc. No free trade for anybody, English as the official language of the U.S. government, withdraw all of our overseas troops and close down the bases that we operate, get rid of the Department of Education, Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, pretty much all the federal departments except those related to Defense, except the CIA that one would get canned if I ran the government. That's real conservativism for you. And who else is saying that? Nobody except Ron Paul and Rand Paul. And by the way, Cameron's Tories are not real conservatives at all. Just because you actually cut spending doesn't mean you are conservative. They are for carbon taxes and the whole kitkaboodle when it comes to the fake global warming scam. The Tories are just soft liberals

Old 10-31-2010, 01:11 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,365,472 times
Only a duped fool would believe the {R}s are going to repent and put the Bush years behind them and really be conservatives. The writer makes key points about the {R} leadership that shows otherwise. You have the Boner getting the biggest share of bribes from the banksters. You know he is promising them to roll back some of the already limp wristed legislation in the financial reform bill.
Read the words from his puke counterpart in the Senate McConnell :
Quote:
That’s not happening either. McConnell has explained his only real priority for the new Congress with admirable candor. “The single most important thing we want to achieve,” he said, “is for President Obama to be a one-term president.” Any assault on Social Security would defeat that goal, and a serious shake-up of the Pentagon budget would alienate the neoconservative ideologues and military contractors who are far more important to the G.O.P. establishment than the “don’t tread on me” crowd.
Their mission is all about power and keeping the war mongering neo cons happy with bloated military spending to be the policemen of the world.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:11 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You're pretty much preaching to the choir here. I know that the Republicans are just a bunch of liberal cowards who don't back up what they say. I've also been predicting that the GOP is only gonna slow down the march of globalism on the U.S., not stop it. The Dems want it full speed ahead while the GOP wants it as well just not as fast. That's the only difference between the 2 parties.

For the red text I highlighted, yes that is real conservatism I agree. I want 95% of the federal government spending to be cut. I'm a believer in that the federal government's sole purpose is to protect the U.S. from foreign invasion and to regulate business transactions from across state lines. Not to get in the powers that are reserved to the states which they are doing. And you mistake me. I'm not a petty fake conservative like Sarah Palin, Gingrich, Boner, McConnell, and the rest of them. I want the U.S. to withdraw from ALL foreign organizations, including the U.N., NATO, NAFTA, etc. No free trade for anybody, English as the official language of the U.S. government, withdraw all of our overseas troops and close down the bases that we operate, get rid of the Department of Education, Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, pretty much all the federal departments except those related to Defense, except the CIA that one would get canned if I ran the government. That's real conservativism for you. And who else is saying that? Nobody except Ron Paul and Rand Paul. And by the way, Cameron's Tories are not real conservatives at all. Just because you actually cut spending doesn't mean you are conservative. They are for carbon taxes and the whole kitkaboodle when it comes to the fake global warming scam. The Tories are just soft liberals
Geez...finally some honesty from a Conservative around here!!

I still think your views are nuts, but at least you're not saying the same 'ol trite nonsense that these other righties are saying. You're obviously not delusional.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:38 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,824 times
Where I'm from there are large groups of Rs that are witholding contributions until Rs start acting like Rs. Those collecting contributions are quite suprised at the response of the constituants. While I realize most contributions come from corporations...we are MAKING them know how we feel. If elected, we intend to hold their feet to the fire. We have a growing problem with illegal immigrants here that is dragging down wages. If nothing is done...heads will roll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies