Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2010, 06:41 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times

Advertisements

Just from looking at the pics so far posted, the Rally for Sanity/Fear seems like a huge turnout... comparable to Beck's rally... I would like to see the top pic shot of the rally but it did seem huge! Is it larger than Beck's? Don't know have to wait for the overhead picture to be able to tell... regardless, it had a great turnout... I doubt it will change the elections though... The Nevada race looks very close with high Democrat absentee voting... also very high Republican turnout in Nevada...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 06:43 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,732 times
Good grief, enough with the pissing contest. Why not just enjoy both rallies for what they were... well attended, peaceful, largely apolitical rallies.

Was today's larger? Maybe. So that means what? That two prime-time cable comedians pulled in more people than a sole prime-time commentator. Ok. Was it twice the size then..and does it really matter?

Both raised money for good causes. Beck's was more 'spiritual' in nature; today's was more fun. End result was good in both.

Were there smatterings of inappropriate signs in both? Yup. If you're going to paint one very large group by a few outliers, then at least be honest and do it for both.

Looked like a fun rally today. Beck's looked like a positive rally. Seriously, what's the issue??

Old 10-30-2010, 06:46 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
I didn't realize just how big it was until I left my spot to take a walk around, and it was just wall to wall people outside of the mall for blocks. I've got a lot of crowd pictures to post later. traffic was a nightmare getting out of DC! we also saw so many cars on the drive down with rally signs on theIr windows. no hateful screaming or anything, it was just a great, fun, peaceful event!

Old 10-30-2010, 06:46 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
Good grief, enough with the pissing contest. Why not just enjoy both rallies for what they were... well attended, peaceful, largely apolitical rallies.

Was today's larger? Maybe. So that means what? That two prime-time cable comedians pulled in more people than a sole prime-time commentator. Ok. Was it twice the size then..and does it really matter?

Both raised money for good causes. Beck's was more 'spiritual' in nature; today's was more fun. End result was good in both.

Were there smatterings of inappropriate signs in both? Yup. If you're going to paint one very large group by a few outliers, then at least be honest and do it for both.

Looked like a fun rally today. Beck's looked like a positive rally. Seriously, what's the issue??
What message did you pick up from today's rally?

Old 10-30-2010, 06:48 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
still waiting to get home and read about the satellite rallies too.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:52 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
They used to but no longer do. That is a nicer way of explaining this.

Come on Sanrene, why do you seem so angry?
I'm not angry, just presenting evidence to debunk the most outlandish conspiracy theory based on a picture from a MSM website.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:53 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I didn't realize just how big it was until I left my spot to take a walk around, and it was just wall to wall people outside of the mall for blocks. I've got a lot of crowd pictures to post later. traffic was a nightmare getting out of DC! we also saw so many cars on the drive down with rally signs on theIr windows. no hateful screaming or anything, it was just a great, fun, peaceful event!
there was absolutely no 'hateful screaming or anything' at the 8/28 rally either, and it was also wall-to-wall people, horrendous traffic, ad nauseum

for some strange reason, heaps of libs keep chirping how much more 'fun' today's rally was. well, i should hope so. i don't think the hundreds of thousands of people who went to a rally named 'restoring honor' were there for giggles. i certainly wasn't.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:54 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I'm not angry, just presenting evidence to debunk the most outlandish conspiracy theory based on a picture from a MSM website.
Those signs are touched up, sorry. The light is wrong on the center poster and there is no hand or stick holding it up. Of course we'd think it's a right wing job!

Old 10-30-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
More information
Please, just stop. It IS clearly a legitimate picture, on MSNBC's website, which I linked to and I also linked to the infor in the properties of the pic.

Quote:
You might also be interested
No, I'm not. It's a moot point and I try not to dwell on such things. See above.

Quote:
You still haven't replied to my question however, although I doubt you will unless you can cut and paste it.
Missed all this?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So you have surmised that because a handful of people carried satirical signs that the organizers of this rally endorsed extreme rhetoric?
Oh, I see! When the Left carries signs depicting their "enemies" as Hitler, it's rhetorical and funny, but when the right does it....it's what?

Quote:
Quote:
So using your logic that a few people at an event of thousands constitutes the sum of that gathering
Let's apply the same to what the Left says of the TP.

Quote:
Quote:
Is that how life is Sanrene? If one or a handful of people at an event, an institution, or gathering are of a certain mindset that everyone at that event, institution or gathering is of that mindset as well? Do you realize how illogical and irrational that sounds?
Oh, absolutely. Somehow, you've totally missed the Left's characterization of the TP, based on a few crazies with their offensive signs....wouldn't you agree. I don't recall your consternation at that time, scolding the Left for painting the TP with such a broad brush.
I guess when you start being concerned about generalization and painting groups of people with broad brushes, as in what the Left has attempted with the Tea Party movement, I might give you more than the answers above.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Those signs are touched up, sorry. The light is wrong on the center poster and there is no hand or stick holding it up. Of course we'd think it's a right wing job!
Yeah! It even has a copyright on MSNBC's website - Getty Images.

Stewart-Colbert rally draws tens of thousands - Politics - More politics - msnbc.com

Just look at those doctored signs!

Quote:
Chip Somodevilla / Getty Images
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies