Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 11:36 AM

5,003 posts, read 12,326,666 times

Advertisements

Please do give examples.

For example: You want smaller government, and point to the desire to cut taxes and benefits to people, thinking that free market economy takes care of people better, and can point to examples where that's true.

I'm attempting to understand the mindset of the conservative mindset in the USA, as all I've seen in the ads and literature is hate and vitriol, which to be honest, is getting tiresome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 11:43 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,827,818 times
Well, as a conservative I can tell you from the bottom of my heart that I don't care what you're tired of because if all you "see" is hate then that's all you're looking for and chances are you'll never change your mind about anything.

I'm for limiting the control of government, giving more power back to the states and bringing personal responsibility back to this country. I'm for the constitution, not just a couple parts of it that suit me at any given time. I believe the people can fix things faster, cheaper and better than the government ever could if given the chance.

I'm for helping give people a hand up when they're down so that they can get back on their feet quicker, not live on government assistance for generations.

I'm for legalizing pot, I've never smoked it and will never start but if we can tax things like alcohol I'm all for taxing weed.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:48 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,124,650 times
I'd like to understand it too. Conservatives claim that capitalism is practically God-given and is supposed to be America's lone economic basis, but I have no idea where that comes from. I never read that anywhere. They want smaller government while simultaneously wanting to "take it back". If it isn't yours now, why would you want less of it unless you have no desire to be held accountable for what happens on the national level? This seems contradictory. What is it you're trying to conserve? A proven failed system? The past, which can never be recreated? If the country has been on the wrong track, how is going backwards helpful? How did you arrive at this convoluted ideology?

Before I even get a response, I will point out that the stated conservative goals are hardly any different from those of liberals. The goals are so similar it's laughable that we are in such disagreement. The methods are different--that seems to be the problem. If we can go back, take a deep breath, forego the assumptions and ingrained misconceptions about each side, we can solve the problems. But I still don't understand how conservative thinking could have had such a large participation rate.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:50 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,672,025 times
One step toward understanding the "conservative mindset" is to understand that we, fiscal conservatives, believe that people take care of people better than any distant entity, be it a federal government or even a private enterprise. We believe in the ability of the individual to make decisions that affect themselves instead of decisions being mandated by immoral, power-hungry bureaucrats. This is just a start.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:51 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,827,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I'd like to understand it too. Conservatives claim that capitalism is practically God-given and is supposed to be America's lone economic basis, but I have no idea where that comes from. I never read that anywhere. They want smaller government while simultaneously wanting to "take it back". If it isn't yours now, why would you want less of it unless you have no desire to be held accountable for what happens on the national level? This seems contradictory. What is it you're trying to conserve? A proven failed system? The past, which can never be recreated? If the country has been on the wrong track, how is going backwards helpful? How did you arrive at this convoluted ideology?
You don't want to understand anything, let's be honest for at least 15 minutes.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:53 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,672,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Its better to go back and possibly take a better path than to continue on to the train wreck that is Keynesian economics.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
You don't want to understand anything, let's be honest for at least 15 minutes.
Thanks for adding nothing to the conversation.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:57 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,352,969 times
If you're going to load the questions with your own answers, what's the point in even attempting to explain it to you?

Old 10-30-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Its better to go back and possibly take a better path than to continue on to the train wreck that is Keynesian economics.
I would agree that our fictitious economy was a wrong turn, but it's too late to go backward. It needs to crash and burn while we devise the next phase. How does this suggested strategy fit into the conservative/liberal spectrum?

Old 10-30-2010, 11:58 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,734,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
From FDR to the 1970's Keynesian economics built this country into a super power. It was when trickle down Reaganonmics starting taking hold that the U.S.A. really started sliding backwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies