Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support government resources going toward the construction of high-speed trains?
Yes 51 66.23%
No 20 25.97%
Not sure 6 7.79%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 10:13 PM

914 posts, read 4,443,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Of course high speed rail is cheaper than air travel it takes many many times longer to travel...On what level do you mean high speed rail is more efficient? Fuel?
Actually, air travel does not take "many" times longer than air travel. A high speed train travels at 250mph, most jets travel about 500mph, so that is twice as fast (if conditions are ideal), not many times as fast. To get all the way across the country would still take some time, but the high speed rail would more likely replace "commuter" type flights, where the time difference (especially when you consider all the other things that take up your time, like waiting to take off, waiting for a gate, wind resistance, the fact that traveling X amount of miles in the air is actually more miles than traveling X amount of miles on the ground because you also have to move vertically) probably isn't going to be that great in the end. Also, it makes regional travel more affordable. (And would increase tourism dollars.)

As far as efficiency, well, clearly fuel (I think air travel only beat by travel by tank as far as fuel efficiency is concerned), but rail travel is also more efficient in general. All other things remaining equal, trains are a lot less "hassle" than planes. You don't have to deal with many trains leaving at the same time, for instance. It is easier to load at train than a place. There is less anxiety associated with trains. You can have your electronic devices on at all times. You can talk on your cell phone. You can go to the bathroom whenever. When you arrive, you can just get off instead of waiting for a gate. Train stations don't need as much land as airports. Etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 10:20 PM

943 posts, read 781,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Why High-Speed Trains Don't Make Sense - Newsweek

I'm generally supportive of liberal and Democratic positions, but this is one area where I'm skeptical. Our cities have already been built mostly for automobile transportation. I do believe that crowded cities such as Los Angeles need more public transportation such as dedicated busways, but spending billions on high-speed rail systems to connect major cities seems like a waste of money.

There is a difference between high speed rail and regular rail. This country desperately needs a national rail system. It doesn't need a high speed rail system outside of the northeast corridor.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:29 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,558,366 times
Being from a state that is going to have a true high speed rail soon I absolutely do support it. It's time for the US to catch up to the rest of the world. Some of you seem to forget how paralyzed we were as a nation after 9/11 when air travel came to a screeching halt for a week.
The US needs travel options and having AMTRAK go at a average of 79 MPH throughout the NE corridor is laughable at best when one can drive even faster than that.
I would rather jump on a high speed train than spend a hour in a airport just going through security and the additional time it takes just to board a plane.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:32 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Being from a state that is going to have a true high speed rail soon I absolutely do support it. It's time for the US to catch up to the rest of the world. Some of you seem to forget how paralyzed we were as a nation after 9/11 when air travel came to a screeching halt for a week.
The US needs travel options and having AMTRAK go at a average of 79 MPH throughout the NE corridor is laughable at best when one can drive even faster than that.
I would rather jump on a high speed train than spend a hour in a airport just going through security and the additional time it takes just to board a plane.
Actually its 90-120mph Average , but that varies day to day...

Old 10-30-2010, 10:35 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,580,420 times
I can support High speed freight but I hope we never have high speed rail. Planes are way more efficient than trains for passenger travel.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:38 PM

943 posts, read 781,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Part of the problem is that Amtrak and other passenger rail in this country must share the tracks with freight.

Having a national passenger rail system which doesn't have to share the rail would cut the hours and increase the speed.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:43 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I can support High speed freight but I hope we never have high speed rail. Planes are way more efficient than trains for passenger travel.
LOL , there will be no such thing as HS Freight in North America. Freight is limited to 79mph. As for planes being more Efficient , used to be but now aren't. They make you pay for a cramped seat and stack fees onto you. They don't do that too you on Amtrak which now rakes in profits on all short Distance trains.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:51 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,558,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
Part of the problem is that Amtrak and other passenger rail in this country must share the tracks with freight.

Having a national passenger rail system which doesn't have to share the rail would cut the hours and lack of speed.
Yes that is true but high speed rail is competing with airlines not regular rail. AMTRAK has too many stops to even compete with just driving. Even then a regular rail system would have to invest in a seperate rail infrastructure which would cost billions as well if they don't want to be at the mercy of freight railroaders and their schedules.
It would take about $500 billion over 25 years to build a high speed rail network in the US.
Meanwhile we have poured over double that in a wasteful war in IRAQ.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:52 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,237 times
Do you support building high-speed train systems?

Like most things, they have their place but probably aren't suitable everywhere, at least yet. All though America would certainly seem best suited for high speed rail systems considering the expanse of our country. If nothing else, at least a number of core lines with light rail feeders.

I would far more support light rail and local trolley types systems. From another article on rail around here I posted some excellent arguments from a writer at the American Conservative.
William Lind makes a conservative case for public transit (just not buses) | Grist

Case against continued total focus on interstates
The American Conservative -- (http://amconmag.com/article/2010/aug/01/00023/ - broken link)

Old 10-30-2010, 10:53 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,069,407 times
Name one transit system anywhere in the U.S. that is self sustaining, passengers pay their own way without non user taxpayer/ vehicle owner subsidies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies