Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 01:44 PM

75 posts, read 60,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
God always was and always will be. I know that is too much to wrap your mind around. You want to believe nothing made everything happen. That is harder to believe. You think nothing made something. Nothing does nothing. Nothing will always do nothing, that is what makes nothing, nothing.
You're assuming I'm atheistic.
Bad start.
I see no point in arguing anything with you if you're going to decide what I believe without me ever saying what I do or don't believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 01:47 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
wow...that makes absolutely no sense. What you have said makes no sense...was totally incoherent, and at no time did you actually come close to making a point there....I award you no points.....
Then it is a very good thing that your ability to understand something is not the standard by which we conclude it is true or not. Just think of all the modern conveniences we would be denied.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:48 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
Makes more sense than your hokey idea that we're all just accidents that poofed out of nothing.
You're the only one that keeps making that assertion, Cal.

Your straw man is not our argument.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
wow...that makes absolutely no sense. What you have said makes no sense...was totally incoherent, and at no time did you actually come close to making a point there....I award you no points.....
If you're going to reference Billy Madison, you could at least get the quote correct.
It's not like you've got a time limit in which you NEED to post, making you unable to look it up.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:50 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Nobody created God. Logically, there has to be a cause to the universe that was not caused---that exists outside of the universe, outside of space and time. Otherwise, we get an "infinite regression"--which is impossible. It had to start at some point.

I know it's hard to understand--you've been taught your whole life that there is no God, but haven't really been taught how to think critically about it.

proof?
Why is an infinite regression impossible?

Old 11-01-2010, 01:52 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
And saying "Goddunit" isn't a logical response. It's a logical cop-out.

It's no more a cop-out than saying "evolutiondidit".
Quote:
It's science....if you have 2 alternatives and one is not possible, then logically the other is the answer. Unless, of course, you're an evolutionist, right? Then, you'll jump through whatever hoops necessary to believe anything but creation.

Gladly. Here's another one.
They're still butterflies, right? It's still bacteria, right?

Old 11-01-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Why is an infinite regression impossible?
Because if it's possible, then that makes his beliefs potentially incorrect, and would make him wrong.

The above answer is more correct than anything he will tell you.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:55 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Brilliant View Post
Because if it's possible, then that makes his beliefs potentially incorrect, and would make him wrong.

The above answer is more correct than anything he will tell you.
Or it could be that to have an infinite regression, it would require an infinite amount of time....which is impossible. But as I pointed out above...to an evolutionist...that's just a challenge...right? Nevermind what is right....just believe it!!!!!!

Old 11-01-2010, 01:56 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Quote:
It's no more a cop-out than saying "evolutiondidit".
"Cop-out" means jumping to a intellecutally dishonest conclusion with no evidence and calling it fact.

Saying "evolution is how we came to be" is not a cop-out, it's proven fact.

Quote:
They're still butterflies, right?
You missed the link about observed instances of speciation, didn't you?

Old 11-01-2010, 01:56 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
God always was and always will be. I know that is too much to wrap your mind around. You want to believe nothing made everything happen. That is harder to believe. You think nothing made something. Nothing does nothing. Nothing will always do nothing, that is what makes nothing, nothing.
The idea of infinity is not too much to wrap our minds around. Humans have been doing it for millenia. The problem is that some people have chosen to believe in an infinite God, and accept nothing else, while others choose to open their minds to infinite possibilities. God is one possibility. An eternal universe is another. No one believes that nothing made something. But there is plenty of reason to believe that energy is eternal, that it cannot be destroyed, that it can be transformed, and that it is transformed. If the universe is made up of energy (energy equals matter, matter equals energy), then the universe is made up of something that cannot be destroyed, and is therefore eternal, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies