Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 02:33 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
So, you're saying that almost half the country is stupid? Well, I think you're stupid for calling someone who believes in Creationism 'stupid.' If you don't believe in Creationism, fine, but I'm not going to call you stupid because you don't believe in Creationism.
So... why do you believe in creationism? Exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 02:39 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Quote:
So, you're saying that almost half the country is stupid? Well, I think you're stupid for calling someone who believes in Creationism 'stupid.' If you don't believe in Creationism, fine, but I'm not going to call you stupid because you don't believe in Creationism.
If someone honestly believes Creationism has more scientific merit than Evolution, then I will gladly and without any hesitation at all consider them lacking in the mental fortitude department.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:39 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Let me explain this simply: God created everything, including time and space. The universe is His creation. Absent space = infinity. Absent time = eternity. God exists outside of time and space. Time and space are creations and will come to an end. What will then be left are Eternity and Infinity.

I don't expect you to believe this, but you've just been given the explanation. I hope you will see the truth some day.
Where did God come from?

How does he/she/it exist outside of time and space?

Why will time and space come to an end? What is eternity and infinity then, if they are not a measure of time and space?

Old 11-02-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
That's mighty nice of you.

And I don't call people who believe in creationism stupid, either. Because I don't think that having faith is stupid. But I think that people who believe in creationism should recognize that they are making a choice. And they should respect others who choose differently.

Being able to choose faith is a gift. Because faith is believing in something without evidence. Making the choice to have faith is not just believing in something without evidence, it's also acknowledging that other things are possible, that there is evidence for other things. It's knowing why others choose differently not just in a passing manner, but with thoughtfulness and consideration of the other possibilities. If you never consider other possibilities, that's blind faith. If you never consider other possibilities and don't even allow for other possibilities that's foolishness.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:58 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
So... why do you believe in creationism? Exactly?
because he/she read it in a book.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:20 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
Why WOULDN'T you believe the universe was created? You don't believe the computer you're typing on evolved from nothing...or anything else in life, really. Everything that exists was caused to exist. It's common logic.

It just makes sense. It's simple cause/effect. We all learned that in 1st grade.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Why WOULDN'T you believe the universe was created? You don't believe the computer you're typing on evolved from nothing...or anything else in life, really. Everything that exists was caused to exist. It's common logic.
Then why wouldn't you believe the creator was created? You don't believe the computer you're typing on evolved from nothing, or anything else in life, really. Everything that exists was caused to exist. If a creator exists, then he was caused to exist. It's common logic, right?

Old 11-02-2010, 03:29 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Why WOULDN'T you believe the universe was created?
Because that would be illogical and contradict all the existing empirical evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist
You don't believe the computer you're typing on evolved from nothing...or anything else in life, really.
There you go with your phony straw man again. Nobody claims that anything came from nothing... except of course creationists who believe that God created the universe ex nihilo.

Quote:
Everything that exists was caused to exist. It's common logic.
I thought you believed that God was not caused to exist? Unless you have changed your mind on that issue, you really do not believe that "everything that exists was caused to exist" after all.

If you did believe that, then you would have to believe in an eternal, uncreated universe. Because only in an eternal, uncreated universe can it be true that "everything that exists was caused to exist."

Quote:
It just makes sense. It's simple cause/effect. We all learned that in 1st grade.
You are contradicting yourself here. Unless you believe that God has a cause, you do not believe this at all.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:30 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
Right. Religion concepts are not generated in the brain by the thought process, but are placed there by those who push religion.
This is evident because those who rely on religion to explain things do not explain adequately.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:30 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Then why wouldn't you believe the creator was created? You don't believe the computer you're typing on evolved from nothing, or anything else in life, really. Everything that exists was caused to exist. If a creator exists, then he was caused to exist. It's common logic, right?
Unless you're willing to believe in an infinite regression of creators creating new creators, that doesn't pass the test of logic. We know that would be impossible-as it's impossible to have an infinite past---we'd have to have crossed an infinite amount of time to get to now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies