Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's that simple, because it really depends on the parents level of preparedness to provide the schooling. If they have the time, the education, and the teaching skills they probably will understand that bringing up an educated child includes teaching social skills, physical agility, and cultural awareness.

Sadly, I don't see those skills in most parents, and the school's budgets are unlikely to support well-rounded education, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 07:44 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau&Cloe View Post
Does anybody know if any tax money goes to homeschooling no matter what state they live in?
In Alaska, there is a program called IDEA that gives money to homeschooling parents. Homeschool in Alaska with Interior Distance Education of Alaska (http://www.ideafamilies.org/how.htm - broken link) I remember hearing about the program, but I didn't read the site, so I don't know where the money comes from.

I'm not sure if you are asking because you think that masses of people are signing up to homeschool because they get government assistance, but I assure you that no one is making any money on this. We pay taxes to our local school district while deciding to not send our kids there, just like every other homeschooler (and people who have no children, and people whose children have flown the coop, and people who send their kids to private school).

Old 11-30-2010, 07:58 AM

113 posts, read 193,230 times
If I'm being a pain in the butt here, I apologize. I really am looking for some clear cut answers. When you are home schooled or homeschooled or home-schooled and you receive a diploma, is it a GED or from some obscure church or is it from some online entity or from anywhere that anyone would recognize? What does as one person wrote: My child had a "real graduation". Or the child went to college on their SAT scores alone. How do you get into college with your SAT scores alone and what constitutes a "real graduation"? Did you stand in your living room and say "I graduate"?

I don't think anyone here is making their case other than to say they "knew somebody".

Would somebody who has actually done this whole gambit respond instead of people that say well I know a million homeschooled kids and they are all geniouses. Hell, I can say, I'm a genious. Tell me, what is printed on your high school diploma, where did you go to college, and what do you do for a living.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:04 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
Quote:
If I'm being a pain in the butt here, I apologize. I really am looking for some clear cut answers. When you are home schooled or homeschooled or home-schooled and you receive a diploma, is it a GED or from some obscure church or is it from some online entity or from anywhere that anyone would recognize? What does as one person wrote: My child had a "real graduation". Or the child went to college on their SAT scores alone. How do you get into college with your SAT scores alone and what constitutes a "real graduation"? Did you stand in your living room and say "I graduate"?

I don't think anyone here is making their case other than to say they "knew somebody".

Would somebody who has actually done this whole gambit respond instead of people that say well I know a million homeschooled kids and they are all geniouses. Hell, I can say, I'm a genious. Tell me, what is printed on your high school diploma, where did you go to college, and what do you do for a living.
This question has already been answered but here's information form an outside source if that works better for you.
HSLDA | Homeschooled Students Excel in College
Quote:
In 1996 the National Center for Home Education, a division of HSLDA, conducted a nationwide college survey: a sampling of the homeschool admission policies in all 50 states. National Center’s liberal definition of “policy” includes colleges that take into account homeschoolers’ unique capabilities and circumstances. Only 44% of the responding colleges had verbal or written policies for homeschool applicants. Course descriptions or portfolios are accepted in lieu of an accredited diploma or GED by 93% of the schools polled. Nevertheless, 96% of the colleges polled had at least one and sometimes over 200 home-educated students enrolled at their college. Several colleges had homeschoolers excelling in their honors programs.

The Wall Street Journal confirms that many colleges are adjusting their admissions policies to homeschoolers:

Many colleges now routinely accept homeschooled students, who typically present “portfolios” of their work instead of transcripts. Each year Harvard University takes up to 10 applicants who have had some homeschooling. “In general, those kids do just fine,” says David Illingsworth, senior admissions officer. He adds that the number of applications and inquiries from homeschoolers is “definitely increasing.”2
In addition many people homeschool through virtual schools and academies and their diploma is just as real as the students attending school in person.

So you have kids presenting diplomas, GED's, community college transcripts and portfolios as a way to get into college and universities.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:

Colleges have certain criteria for accepting homeschooled students. Most colleges accept homeschooled students, and many actively recruit them. The statistics are out there; it's not a matter of someone saying they "know someone."

Old 11-30-2010, 08:10 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Ya know, I suppose it depends on the person who is doing the "home-schooling". There's always going to be good points and bad points to doing certain things but alot does seem to ride on the type of person that does the actual home schooling. How many kids are involved? Does the child get ample opportunity to interact with other children around their age? Learning materials and subject testing. I'm sure there's other points to ponder but that's all I can come up with at this moment in time.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:39 AM

113 posts, read 193,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Colleges have certain criteria for accepting homeschooled students. Most colleges accept homeschooled students, and many actively recruit them. The statistics are out there; it's not a matter of someone saying they "know someone."
I don't believe you. I can tell by the way you wrote your response that you don't know what you are talking about. How does a university "actively recruit them". If I had homeschooled my child, how did the university know to contact me to actively recruit my child?

Old 11-30-2010, 08:42 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
Quote:

I'm sorry but I really think you're being obtuse. Someone very close to me is homschooled (I choose not to reveal the relationship). His diploma reads ___ Christian Academy. His graduation was held in a church where he received his diploma. It was not a GED; he did not skip into college. He has a HS diploma from an accredited school, which happens to be a homeschooling organization that operates under the protection of a church. This was done because in the 1980's in the state of Alabama homeschooling families were harassed and persecuted by the state. Families were charged with abuse and neglect and children were taken out of homes. To protect these families, churches sponsored homeschooling families.

Today this guy is an engineer, a successful one with a house and a family. He graduated from from a 4-four year public university. His sisters graduated from private colleges (full rides) and are counselors and one's in business.

His "classmates" went on to go to college, get married, etc. One is a nurse, one is a professional musician in Seattle, and two others are engineers. Many of the girls married and became housewives.

This is also the story for a guy I dated in MS. He received his diploma from ___ Christian Academy and walked down the aisle. Again in a church. He went on to get a degree is business admin and got a second degree this year in architecture from Auburn. He is married. No kids yet.

An acquaintance of mine from HS who was homeschooled received her diploma, went to a four-year public university, and is working at Summit (a Christian organization in CO). It's her dream job. Not married yet.

Two students that I taught years ago left the small school to be homeschooled. It was through an online accredited program. They received diplomas. I'm not sure if they were mailed or if there was a ceremony. They, all three, went on to college. One is a radio host, one is getting a degree in business from a private liberal arts college, and the other is at a 2-year community college until she decides what she wants to do. The eldest is married. The youngest are still in school.

Does this, in anyway, help to illuminate the situation? I'm not a fan of homeschooling except under exceptional circumstances, but I know that homeschooling does not ruin a kid unless the parents are unmotivated, absent or strung out.

Dorthy has provided a link. Try that since you don't like what the rest of us have to say.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:53 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
Quote:
I don't believe you. I can tell by the way you wrote your response that you don't know what you are talking about. How does a university "actively recruit them". If I had homeschooled my child, how did the university know to contact me to actively recruit my child?

Here's an article about how Stanford views homeschoolers. They track every application from homeschooled students.
Stanford Magazine: November/December 2000: In a Class by Themselves
Quote:
For the past two years, for instance, the University has tracked every application from a homeschooled student. These forms get flagged with a special code that lets reviewers find them among stacks of applications and helps admission officials chart emerging trends. Many top schools do not do this, including Harvard and Yale.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Why would you not believe me? Because it's something that you, with no experience or knowledge about homeschooling, have never heard of? Why would you think that I don't know what I'm talking about? I am going to assume that you are not being intentionally obtuse, but really, you're making it hard.

University recruiters go to homeschool conventions and talk to homeschoolers. Some have homeschool liasons on staff. They send mail to homeschoolers who have taken the SATs (there is a code that homeschoolers use in lieu of the school code).

This is not special information that only homeschoolers know, by the way. If you don't believe random posters on city-data, then go use google to find the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies