Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 11:05 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You mean the fact that I consider Fact Check.org to be a tool of the Democrat party because it is Annenberg in origin means that I don't read the good stuff from Neal Boortz. Why I just can't believe that anyone would think like that.
So you only read information from "approved" sources?

I'll say it again: if you're not going to read anything except those things that you assume to support your presumptions, then why would anyone consider you informed on the subject?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I can't remember the last time I was linked to RawNews here and read it because of that. Nope, I don't take my facts from that place, either.
Oh, my mistake...it wasn't RawNews.com, it was RawStory.com.

Seriously Roy, why didn't you catch that mistake of mine?

I mean, if you're just going to constantly sit back, re-post ideas from "approved" sources, and not bother to consider any viewpoints that might slightly deviate from your preconceptions, then isn't your knowledge more ... faith-based.

Because it's simply not possible to have a discussion with a person about his faith.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:11 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
When I first heard about this tax, I was outraged, but it is beginning to grow on me when I consider that we will not be the only ones paying it. Illegals will have to pay this tax too, as well as those visiting our country from other countries. We should have a lot of visitors with the devaluation of the dollar. It will be really cheap for people from other countries to come visiting. Let them pay their way.

It will do away with all the tax loopholes that the rich get all the time and they will have to pay at least that amount for what they consume. My tax bill should go down with this tax rate.

I have a finance program on my computer that tells me how much we pay on different items and some months our taxes and our charitable donations equals more than half of our money spent, so it is not necessarily a bad thing. As our income goes down with retirement, this may change a little, but if we are all paying the same percentage, can we really complain. That sounds fair to me. I don't really buy all that much and now I am paying for money that is not being used, just because I have an increase.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
When I first heard about this tax, I was outraged, but it is beginning to grow on me when I consider that we will not be the only ones paying it. Illegals will have to pay this tax too, as well as those visiting our country from other countries. We should have a lot of visitors with the devaluation of the dollar. It will be really cheap for people from other countries to come visiting. Let them pay their way.

It will do away with all the tax loopholes that the rich get all the time and they will have to pay at least that amount for what they consume. My tax bill will go down with this tax rate.

I have a finance program on my computer that tells me how much we pay on different items and some months our taxes and our charitable donations equals more than half of our money spent, so it is not necessarily a bad thing.
Your tax rate will go down? Really? The current figures show that under the "Fair" Tax plan, those who make under $15,000 per year and those who make over $200,000 per year will see a tax cut, everyone else sees a tax increase.

Care to post some actual numbers to support your claim?

Old 10-31-2010, 11:19 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
I pay 19% tax in Germany. When a price is quoted, it is inclusive of the tax. I prefer that.

It bothers me that prices quoted in the States are without tax. I find that to be dishonest.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:29 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conc1 View Post
It might, but it will kill also the entire food industry. If a big mac will cost $7.20 than pasta at the olive garden will cost $18-$25 so people will have to by row food & cook at home.
I see a new business at the horizon, cook for your neighbor and don't report it.....

Underground catering?

I think I just lost my appetite...FOR LIBERALS!!!!

I think the new business opportunities would be Korean cookbooks and pet detective agencies. That's fine too. I really don't like my neighbor very much or his noisy German Shepard.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:30 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I pay 19% tax in Germany. When a price is quoted, it is inclusive of the tax. I prefer that.

It bothers me that prices quoted in the States are without tax. I find that to be dishonest.
Hey, I am with you. That is much more honest. We just traveled about 2600 miles and every time we were quoted a price on a hotel, it was always higher when it appeared on the bill. So a lower hotel bill could end up higher than one in another state if their taxes were higher.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:38 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Your tax rate will go down? Really? The current figures show that under the "Fair" Tax plan, those who make under $15,000 per year and those who make over $200,000 per year will see a tax cut, everyone else sees a tax increase.

Not on a public forum. I'm a very private person and my actual figures are my business only. I don't expect you to agree with me, but wouldn't the amount of savings depend on how materialistic a person is. The more material things a person would buy, the more taxes they would pay. So we would have a tax that taxed those that actually benefit from the money spent. Those who save instead of spend would pay less tax.

I mostly like the idea that people who come here illegally and freeload off the rest of us would finally be paying their share. I think this is where the idea for this tax came from. The first time I heard about it was when Huckabee was campaigning.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:51 PM

NCN, I respect your right to privacy about your income and expenses, but then you can't expect to use them to substantiate your claim either.

As the Fair Tax is structured, it is applied only to items purchased new and not to items that are used. Therefore, resale shops would boom...for a while...and shops that sold new products would all go out of business...for a while. Then there wouldn't be enough old stuff to resell and new shops would have to re-open...and cater to only those who could afford the 30% national sales tax.

Illegal immigrants, unless they're hanging around Home Depot looking for day work, usually pay income and payroll taxes when they find regular employment. So shifting from our current tax structure to one national sales tax will probably cause the illegal immigrants to pay LESS taxes. They will shop in second hand shops, just like you...they'll bring most of their clothes and other personal items with them from their home towns (Detroit's illegal immigrants tend to be from Mexico and tend to go back home in the winter). And you know that if they are illegals then they're not purchasing new homes or automobiles or trucks or big screen tv's or any other large ticket item.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:54 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

who are you kidding

most people making under 40k pay zero in federal income tax...heck I make 60k and pay zero in federal income tax...in fact my refund is more than what was deducted during the year

our tax system right now is the most unfairest in the world

WE NEED THE FAIR-TAX

it will help the middleclass and the poor...and its fair becuase EVERYONE pays

do you think uncle sam gets any money that the drug dealers make....well with a fair tax the government will, becuase even those drug dealers still buy things

the government currently gets NOTHING from the illegals and leagals who are working off the books...well with the fair tax, the ggovernment will get because even those working off the books, still buy things

you rant against the fairtax, (by the liberal leaning 'factcheck' no less) is unfounded

did you EVEN LOOK at the ACTUAL fair tax site...or do you only take you marching orders from your handlers?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies