Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 02:27 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
In the Philadelphia/South Jersey area Taylor Pork Roll is a very common and popular lunch item.
Yeah, but so is scrapple.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:28 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Liberal diversity put Muslims in Dearborn? LOL...that's a first. BTW...they are eating American food...that is, unless you can prove it got shipped in from some other country.
I guess you never eat in Chinese or Mexican restaurants where they serve the listed food along with the advertised American food. I never eat American in one of them but some will eat nothing else.

What you say about American is nothing more than an attempt at deflection, as I see it.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:29 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
BTW, I failed to see two sets of food in that menu list. Where was the other one?
Lunch Menus

There are 5 menus listed, the first one is the regular menu.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:31 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Lunch Menus

There are 5 menus listed, the first one is the regular menu.
There you go, trying to confuse people with facts again.
I tell you from experience, it won't work.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:32 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And schools in the 60's that had large percentages of Catholics in the student body didn't serve meat on Fridays. It's a dietary restriction that a large percentage of the student body complies with. Why they comply with it isn't the issue as far as the school is concerned. Their concern is making sure they offer the students food they can eat. Your comment about communion wafers is a strawman argument. Communion wafers aren't FOOD. They are the body of Christ. They are a religious experience. Falafel is FOOD. It's not a religious experience. KOSHER hot dogs are FOOD, not a religious experience. If Hebrews in a school system started demanding KOSHER hot dogs, and the Hebrews were a sufficient percentage of the student body, I would think the school would comply.

You are very wrong. Kosher food is certified kosher by a rabbi. It involves religion. There are rituals/prayers/etc involved with the process of certification... And if someone is religious enough to keep kosher they are going to say a prayers before and after the meal. There's even a singing routing called "benching" after meals.. It isn't just food, it's an incredibly important part of the Jewish religion. It's like you saying that a bible is just a book, like Tom Sawyer.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Their dietary needs aren't any different than anyone elses. This is introducing religious doctrine into public schools which YOU are totally against, until now I suppose.
Both religious groups, Muslims and Jews, come from the same area of the world and both of them consider animals that eat from the ground to be non-edible and that surprised me when I saw those people eating chicken. They are every bit as dirty as pigs are.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:34 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I can't believe this troll thread has not been deleted.

Did anyone go to the website to verify that this was the menu?

Lunch Menus

Obviously not. The first menu in the list is the regular menu. The one the OP linked is the halaal menu.
I think they are playing with (omitting) words. The non-halal menu looks to be exactly the same as the non-halal menu. The only difference is the use of the word halal and the lack of use of it.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
I guess you never eat in Chinese or Mexican restaurants where they serve the listed food along with the advertised American food. I never eat American in one of them but some will eat nothing else.

What you say about American is nothing more than an attempt at deflection, as I see it.
They are eating food prepared in America in an American lunchroom by American cooks....being eaten by American schoolkids. The food is simply prepared in another dietary fashion. Halal is Halal no matter which country it's prepared in.

Again, no deflection. I just refuse to be hateful. Try it sometimes...it's good for your health.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And schools in the 60's that had large percentages of Catholics in the student body didn't serve meat on Fridays. It's a dietary restriction that a large percentage of the student body complies with. Why they comply with it isn't the issue as far as the school is concerned. Their concern is making sure they offer the students food they can eat. Your comment about communion wafers is a strawman argument. Communion wafers aren't FOOD. They are the body of Christ. They are a religious experience. Falafel is FOOD. It's not a religious experience. KOSHER hot dogs are FOOD, not a religious experience. If Hebrews in a school system started demanding KOSHER hot dogs, and the Hebrews were a sufficient percentage of the student body, I would think the school would comply.
I remember in the late 50s and all through the 60s eating fish on Friday when not more than 3 or 5 families in the town were Catholic. In one school one of the teachers was Catholic and none of the kids but we still got to eat fish. I was sure glad that I love about any kind of fish.

In one school that I taught in about 1/3 of the people in town were Lutherans, about 1/3 were Catholics and the rest were other Christian types. We still got to eat fish on Friday.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:36 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times
Quote:
Both religious groups, Muslims and Jews, come from the same area of the world and both of them consider animals that eat from the ground to be non-edible and that surprised me when I saw those people eating chicken. They are every bit as dirty as pigs are.
That's not the rule for what kosher is. Kashrut laws deals with thing like method of slaughter, the kind of animal you can eat (which seem random, like whether the animal is hoofed, no shellfish, fish are fine, though they are supposed to have scales, but I think even nonscaly fish can be eaten) no milk with meat, but you can eat fish/chicken with milk for some reason...

Remember, these rules for Halal/Kosher come from religious scriptures. So if the school's kitchen is preparing meals based upon scriptures, how is it not violating the first amendment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies