Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 02:40 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How about the 9th Court of Appeals on the west coast? Somehow I don't think they will go along with what you say.
I imagine the 9th Circuit would rule along the line supported by case law - the same line held by civil liberty groups such as the ACLU.

Here's the ACLU statement on non-instructional religion in public schools:

"Children's religious education should be directed primarily by parents, families, and religious communities — not the public schools. The ACLU defends students' free speech rights in the public schools and defends students' rights to pray in the schools. Additionally, whenever a teacher allows children to choose their own topics for an assignment (such as which book to read or which topic to study for a presentation), students may choose religious themes — and the ACLU has protected their right to do so."

http://www.aclu.org/religion-belief/...on-and-schools

Last edited by hammertime33; 11-02-2010 at 02:51 PM..

Old 11-02-2010, 02:41 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,736 times
I see nothing wrong with it.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:42 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Again, what on the Halal menu are you objecting to? What is it that you won't eat, because you aren't Muslim? Enquiring minds want an answer.
You are going down the wrong path. That isn't even the issue.

The issue is WHY are Halal (religious meals for Muslims) being served in public school at all and going against separation of church and state? Why can Muslims not eat regular meals like all other school children?

Old 11-02-2010, 02:50 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post

The issue is WHY are Halal (religious meals for Muslims) being served in public school at all and going against separation of church and state? Why can Muslims not eat regular meals like all other school children?
Oh please. Providing a halal/kosher/vegetarian food option in a public school where large portions of the students are Muslim/Jewish/Hindu in NO WAY violates of the separation of church and state concept found in the 1st Amendment. If you feel it does, please explain to me how it violates either the Establishment or Lemon tests.

You guys are grasping at straws.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:57 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,025 times
UM-Dearborn awash in foot bath controversy - News

And I suppose if you urinate in the footbaths, you'd get charged with a hate crime, despite the school shouldn't have permitted the football in the first place given it violates the first amendment.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:00 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
So you have no problem with taxpayers paying for footbaths? Muslims don't just "pray" by bowing their heads. They have ceremonial things they do, one of which is bathing their feet prior to praying...

You gonna support purchasing items that christians need for prayer if for some reason they needed it?

oopsie! hate to reveal your double standard.
The footbaths are simply water sources. I've seen footbaths used to clean off soccer balls and sporting equipment. It would seem that they are not just for the exclusive use of Muslims.

What items do Christians need for prayer? Generally, I feel pretty prayerful when I'm out hiking in the woods by myself, breathing clean air, feeling the sun warming my back. Taxpayers often provide those hiking venues. Thanks to everyone for helping to support state parks and hiking trails and the roads to get to and from them. Thank you for the park rangers who maintain the trails, and thanks especially to the many volunteers, of whatever race, gender, religious persuasion, age and so on, who also make life better.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Oh please. Providing a halal/kosher/vegetarian food option in a public school where large portions of the students are Muslim/Jewish/Hindu in NO WAY violates of the separation of church and state concept found in the 1st Amendment. If you feel it does, please explain to me how it violates either the Establishment or Lemon tests.

You guys are grasping at straws.

How did the night ramadhan football practices not violate 1st amendment?

Fordson High School team in Dearborn, Mich., school practicing at night for Ramadan - ESPN

Old 11-02-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post

Chicken nuggets are religious meals? Until you tell me why you object to chicken nuggets on religious grounds, you don't even have a path.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Chicken nuggets are religious meals? Until you tell me why you object to chicken nuggets on religious grounds, you don't even have a path.

Dhabihah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

God is praised before the animal is slaughtered. If any god other than allah is praised b efore, it is n ot halal and cannot be consumed..

Old 11-02-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
How did the night ramadhan football practices not violate 1st amendment?

Fordson High School team in Dearborn, Mich., school practicing at night for Ramadan - ESPN
How did they?

Football is an extra-curricular activity. Extra-curricular meaning that it's not an educational program. The coach wants his players to attend practice. The players have lives, and that means they have constraints on their time to participate in extra-curricular activities. The coach scheduled practice for a time where he could maximize the number of his players attending practice. Sounds like it's the coach's business, and nothing to do with the First Amendment at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies