Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:39 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,137,160 times

Advertisements

I wonder if there is some way that the difference of 22% can be turned before tomorrow morning. How long before the politicians realize that the people just don't want this law and proceed to repeal it and make up one that will do what it is supposed to do? They will have two years to make a change in their thinking or many will be outside looking in after the 2012 election, I think.

Health Care Law - Rasmussen Reports™
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 10:59 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,026,369 times
How sad.

Tim Kaine points out, "[T]he GOP united against the Affordable Care Act that reduces the deficit, decreases health care premiums for all Americans, extends coverage to nearly 32 million people, and ends the worst insurance-company abuses -- including the practice of denying coverage to children with pre-existing conditions. Would all Americans be better off with higher health care costs and greater insurance company control if Republicans had successfully blocked health insurance reform?"

You seem to have been successfully taught to believe so, roy.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:01 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,751,044 times
I think 58% want repeal but really they want it fixed to be better... so far the bill doesn't seem to mean "better" care, it just means "cheaper" care... and cheaper is definitely NOT better care... the same can be said for the 36% who want to keep it... they want something and they rather have this than nothing... but if offered to "fix" it, it would be 100%...

Old 11-01-2010, 11:09 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,548,039 times
I would like to see the current bill changed to a Canadian or European style single payer government run system replacing the private sector health insurance completely.

What I want to see is a system where anyone can go to a Doctor, emergency facility or clinic or a hospital and be treated for a reasonable payment. I want to see drugs available at affordable prices even if it limits Pharma's profits and executive salaries. I want to see an end to a system that can bring families with modest incomes to bankruptcy to pay for care.

So, ROB, I do agree with you that this bill need to be changed but I do not agree with your direction. Health care is way too important to be left to businessmen and investors.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:14 AM

8,274 posts, read 12,810,962 times
Now tell the people that it will cost less than it brings in.. reducing the deficit. When all the facts are on the table I suspect people really will want the plan as it is so much better than what we have had previously

Old 11-01-2010, 11:14 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,587,726 times
Any repeals are just a futile exercise in ideaology to try to gain votes for tomorrow, because the GOP leaders behind this repeal scam know full well that President Obama would veto such attempts.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:32 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,026,369 times
"Forty-three percent (43%) of those with health insurance say it’s at least somewhat likely that the passage of the health care bill means they’ll have to change their coverage. Just as many (44%) say it’s not likely they’ll have to change their insurance. That includes 21% who say it’s Very Likely and 17% who say it’s Not At All Likely. These findings are more closely divided than they were earlier this month."

These people sound confused. It indicates to me they don't know what is in the health reform act, and whatever information they were able to find wasn't clear.

I really do blame the Obama Admin for not having been patiently, excruciatingly clear and thoroughly answering every single detail of the HCA over and over and over in every single venue it is possible to do it in. Putting it out in very simple, easy to click FAQs all over the place. A definition of every important word - of each word and concept. This wouldn't have been hard to do. It's unconscionable that at this late date every adult doesn't know exactly what's in there, or how to quickly find what they want to know.

Millions of RW agenda-driven people have read and reread the HCA inside out, looking for hidden bombs, anything scandalous. They haven't found a single thing. So they try to tell you it'll explode the deficit. But the CBO says that's not true. The CBO says it will reduce the deficit.

You will be able to keep your insurance. The health insurance exchange will keep the insurers competitive, which will keep prices down honestly, allow for different tiers of benefits, etc. With lower prices and higher competition you can better afford to purchase insurance independently.

If most people can't afford to pay out-of-control health insurance costs, their only choice is to drop their insurance. Then when they get sick or injured, what? That can't continue to be the threat held over our heads.

As a nation we're better off if everyone can afford to maintain their health. I shouldn't have to list all the benefits and strengths in every direction of a country full of healthy people.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
How sad.

Tim Kaine points out, "[T]he GOP united against the Affordable Care Act that reduces the deficit, decreases health care premiums for all Americans, extends coverage to nearly 32 million people, and ends the worst insurance-company abuses -- including the practice of denying coverage to children with pre-existing conditions. Would all Americans be better off with higher health care costs and greater insurance company control if Republicans had successfully blocked health insurance reform?"

You seem to have been successfully taught to believe so, roy.
Watch the workers who still have employer provided health insurance as they find what has been done to them. They think they have a perk in that insurance and they will learn that this much ballyhooed act has raised their income taxes, maybe too much for most of them. Ah yes, some lawyers that bothered to read that abortion found that those lucky people will get to pay income taxes on what their employers are providing.

You people call that thing anything you want but the only people it makes it affordable for are those 30 million that didn't have it before. Those who have it will be paying through the nose for them.

I guess you thought that all the raises in rates so far were caused the greed of the greedy insurance companies. The fact that parents can put their 25 year old children on with them had nothing to do with it, of course. Also, having to extend coverage to all no matter what their past medical history is may have had a lot to do with the raises.

I guess we weren't supposed to notice those things, huh.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:38 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,548,039 times
The Republicans seem to believe that as long as they can remain healthy because they can afford insurance or care, what happens to the rest of us is irrelevant.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think 58% want repeal but really they want it fixed to be better... so far the bill doesn't seem to mean "better" care, it just means "cheaper" care... and cheaper is definitely NOT better care... the same can be said for the 36% who want to keep it... they want something and they rather have this than nothing... but if offered to "fix" it, it would be 100%...
According to the article 45% of those people against the act just want it repealed. I didn't see anything about cheaper or better, but I agree with you that most people want something much better that has been debated in Congress and written by one house or the others, not a political leader and a group of labor leaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies