Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:48 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times

Advertisements

The government does not own your body. They have no right to tell you what you can or cannot put into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 10:51 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
organized crime got its legs from prohibition. On the contrary make all drugs legal. and then treat their use as the social problem it is, not a criminal offense. End the power and money of the drug cartels. stop the killing. force them to find other means to make a living.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:09 PM

799 posts, read 1,094,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
People should be able to turn their brains to cheese however they want, it's not up to the nanny government to tell anyone what substance they can use to get stupid on.

Some jerk o.d.'d on caffeine powder the other day should that be illegal too?

It should be illegal to operate a vehicle on those substances and endanger someone else's life when using them. But if someone wants to destroy their health on their own it's o.k. with me.

P.S. the majority of people do not abuse drugs or alcohol so why punish the majority for something a minority of people do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
I wish we could do away with alcohol but its just not possible legally and perhaps not right. I dont know if its more addictive, but Ive had my own bout with alcoholism and ill say that its the person not the drug that leads to tragedy in most cases. I wish it didnt exists, but since it does, it would help if people would learn some personal responsibility. That and itd be helpful if it wasnt promoted in such a way that it is in society.

I get sick of seeing all the deaths it causes, the drunk drivers/innocent victims, etc. But it really goes to the person to be responsible. Unfortunately, everything is out the window once you get drunk. Ive fortunately never killed anyone or hurt anyone badly (except for a fight or two) but I couldve easily completely ruined my life or someone elses. Alcohols affects are very, very powerful. Ive wasted several years of what shouldve been the best years of my life, because is was an alcoholic. Luckily, I managed to quit it all together and turn my life around.

Now if I could just finally get rid of this horrible smoking habit. Sooner or later im gonna beat it, hopefully sooner. Quiting smoking has been the most difficult thing to do in my life so far. Its amazing what power of you, mentally, a paper filled with tobacco can have on you.
The crazy thing is, is that its not organic tobacco, well soil grown yea, but over 1000+ chemicals added to it routinely, that's why its so brown and not the lush green tobacco most native american and shamans smoked and ingested. So you're really taking in more chemicals than desired

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
organized crime got its legs from prohibition. On the contrary make all drugs legal. and then treat their use as the social problem it is, not a criminal offense. End the power and money of the drug cartels. stop the killing. force them to find other means to make a living.
The sad part is our government funds drug cartels, but other than that you dead on

Old 11-01-2010, 11:11 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Alcohol worst drug on the planet. Should it be illegal?
tried that once..all it got us was bootleggers like the kennedy's

Old 11-02-2010, 01:19 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
People should be able to turn their brains to cheese however they want, it's not up to the nanny government to tell anyone what substance they can use to get stupid on.

Some jerk o.d.'d on caffeine powder the other day should that be illegal too?

It should be illegal to operate a vehicle on those substances and endanger someone else's life when using them. But if someone wants to destroy their health on their own it's o.k. with me.

P.S. the majority of people do not abuse drugs or alcohol so why punish the majority for something a minority of people do?
I would agree with you, except and WHEN it dips into my pocket book, to pay for some alcoholic and/or drug addicts health care. Do you realize how much tax payer dollar is used to pay for the effects of alcohol? The law enforcement costs for persons under the influence of alcohol? Let us not even venture into the realm of illegal drugs.

In fact, why do you think the UK came out with this study? Because of the insane amounts of money used by the NHS, in the treatment of alcohol and drug related illnesses and other problems.

Now, if you want to say let people turn their brains into mush and let them suffer and die, in their own homes, and scrape the body up off the ground, ok. But you don't want too do that; therefore, it does become a governmental problem. And, unfortunately, a societal problem.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:25 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
I was watching a show about drugs, and it put forth the hypothesis that alcohol is more accepted in Western culture because it makes people more aggressive, and that's an more culturally acceptable response, whereas drugs that make one more calm and meditative are more in tune with Eastern culture, and so are opposed by Western cultures.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:30 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I was watching a show about drugs, and it put forth the hypothesis that alcohol is more accepted in Western culture because it makes people more aggressive, and that's an more culturally acceptable response, whereas drugs that make one more calm and meditative are more in tune with Eastern culture, and so are opposed by Western cultures.
That actually make a whole lot of sense. Nice post.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:49 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,532,849 times
Here you can see what the federal government and MADD are up to concerning alcohol. They feel we need a nanny!

Interlock Facts

Old 11-02-2010, 02:52 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Drug experts say alcohol worse than crack or heroin - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101101/ts_nm/us_drugs_alcohol - broken link)

LONDON (Reuters) – Alcohol is a more dangerous drug than both crack and heroin when the combined harms to the user and to others are assessed, British scientists said Monday.

We outlaw other drugs because they are "dangerous" and "addictive", yet alcohol is legal. We tried prohibition once, it didn't work.

Alcohol is widely accepted, yet its now shown to be one of, if not the worst drug on the planet.

Should we outlaw it? Should we legalize other drugs that are less harmful to people?

alcohol should not be illegal, and I think that booze is not the worst drug either.

if you want the worst drug ever, then you need to look no further than the goverment itself.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:23 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post
Here you can see what the federal government and MADD are up to concerning alcohol. They feel we need a nanny!

Interlock Facts
At times I think we do in certain areas. When things like this is happening, its pretty clear we don't know how to take care of ourselves when it comes to consuming alcohol for the most part. If we as Americans could be responsible to this potentially dangerous substance this wouldn't be an issue but it is now. Wake up and realize everything isn't peaches and cream when it comes to the mind altering substance. Moderation is fine, but its become clear over the years people constantly abuse that "freedom."

Alcohol linked to 75,000 U.S. deaths a year - Health - Addictions - msnbc.com

This does not mean I think alcohol should be illegal. I believe all drugs should be legal, but to think, we don't have a problem with this drug is to be blind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies