Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 07:33 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,830,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
He was poor at this time and there was no recession on either.
No he wasn't poor. He owned a house. He also had a brother that helped him. He also had a middle income job prior. Please read the posts before commenting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 08:01 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,492,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
No he wasn't poor. He owned a house. He also had a brother that helped him. He also had a middle income job prior. Please read the posts before commenting.
He didn't own the house. The bank did. And you said the word prior. That means in the past. He was poor at the time he was speaking of. And it was 2004-2006. You said that was time of recession. Maybe you should read the post before commenting.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:08 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,492,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Your post does assume. Increased min. wage helps combat against the rise in wage stagnation/decrease for the very poor. Economically, there is no incentive for employers to pay a living wage. Employers want to make more money. That's why you have wage decreases for the poorest segments of society. CEO pay versus employee pay has increased. All this is due to the fact that employers want to make more money. Having a government mandate allows for a more livable wage. Prior to a min. wage, we had a huge gulf between rich and poor. Though we have a widening gulf, this gulf is not as bad as in the turn of the century. In fact, the current gulf is due to the fact that min. wage increases have not kept up with cost of living.

Let's also bear in mind that the poor spend more as a percentage of their earnings. Having more consumers is good for the economy. Hence why we have unemployment benefits.

If Berkeley professors, Harvard professors, and other top professors who have more data than you all conclude that a min. wage is not a job killer then I would go with that.

So what is YOUR argument in illustrating that a min. wage is "bad"?
If employers want to make more money by keeping wages low then why is the unemployment rate so high for the low-skilled? Why do they bother to hire people that they have to pay more?

And the poor spending money helps the economy? LOLs. All that does is keep them poor. For example, if I spend money I have less of it. The only way to create wealth is through producing and saving. Spending keeps one poor.

If a job is only worth $5 an hour and someone is willing to do that job why should the government stop them? Is that not a violation of that person's rights? And why is it only for certain jobs that a certain wage must be paid and not for others?

And I can show you plenty of studies by professors that show min wage laws kill jobs. They all have more data than you so I would go with that.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:16 AM

20,948 posts, read 18,982,000 times
Minimum wage is just another "feel good about themselves" lib/progressive policy.

Nobody can live on $8.00 an hour, nor are they expected to.

Why not make minimum wage $30 or $40 bucks an hour?

Since it doesn't cause higher unemployment, what's the difference?

Yet again, the government sticks its nose where it shouldn't.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:18 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,354,604 times
min.wage is for high school students and people to break into the work force not for a father of 6 to raise a family on

Old 01-01-2011, 08:20 AM

20,948 posts, read 18,982,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
min.wage is for high school students and people to break into the work force not for a father of 6 to raise a family on
Amen.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:28 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,863,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Minimum wage is just another "feel good about themselves" lib/progressive policy.No it is the government (the People) telling businesses that they cannot get away with people slave wages, do you know what it was like before the government got involved. You maty trust businesses to do the right thing, but history has proven the opposite occurs.

Nobody can live on $8.00 an hour, nor are they expected to.That is correct, it is called a minimum wage not a living wage.

Why not make minimum wage $30 or $40 bucks an hour? Rediculous statement.

Since it doesn't cause higher unemployment, what's the difference?See above.

Yet again, the government sticks its nose where it shouldn't.
I always laugh at those that are willing to defend big business at every turn, especially since they do not give a hoot about you. I also saw the same when the oil companies were making their excuses for high prices a few years back and I am sure they will defend them again and blame Obama for them when prices shoot through the roof again. Sheep.
Casper

Old 01-01-2011, 08:34 AM

Made my mortgage payments, (mortgage from 1993)

That means he owned a house. You don't pay a mortgage if you don't own a house. Not to mention that the fact it wasn't during the recession actually kind of makes my point stronger...one less thing for a middle class person to worry about.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
If employers want to make more money by keeping wages low then why is the unemployment rate so high for the low-skilled? Why do they bother to hire people that they have to pay more?

And the poor spending money helps the economy? LOLs. All that does is keep them poor. For example, if I spend money I have less of it. The only way to create wealth is through producing and saving. Spending keeps one poor.

If a job is only worth $5 an hour and someone is willing to do that job why should the government stop them? Is that not a violation of that person's rights? And why is it only for certain jobs that a certain wage must be paid and not for others?

And I can show you plenty of studies by professors that show min wage laws kill jobs. They all have more data than you so I would go with that.
Because you run into the fact that we have globalization (blue collar jobs are sent to nations where they can pay less). You do know that, right?

Are you serious? You didn't know that poor people spend a higher percentage of income on consumer products? Okay, let me break it slowly. Rich people will use extra income for financial services. They won't spend on consumer goods. However, we know that the poor will spend more on consumer goods. During the Bush tax refund, the poor contributed to more to the rise of consumer spending that the extremely rich. This is the main reason why the CBO states that unemployment benefits are the most efficient means to help stimulate the economy. Help consumer spending. There are more poor people than extremely wealthy people. Such a large market helps bolster consumer confidence. I take it that you don't know demography too well or read journals like The Economist or any peer reviewed articles.

Not to mention a wage gap is not a good thing. We have the biggest disparity between rich and poor in the entire western world. That's not good for our future. We can't have an economic apartheid state.

Most professors disagree with you.

Not to mention you've not addressed the flaws in your message. So once again, how exactly is a min. wage bad?

Old 01-01-2011, 08:45 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,354,604 times
if there was no gap why would anyone strive to suceed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies