Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 01:15 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times

Advertisements

It's an unsubstantiated number from an anonymous source in a state gov't - and it is not clear from the quote if this is a cost to the US gov't, the Indian gov't, or both. The quote does not say "per day".

“The huge amount of around $200 million would be spent on security, stay and other aspects of the Presidential visit,” a top official of the Maharashtra Government privy to the arrangements for the high-profile visit said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 01:48 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,972 times
Gawd, I hope this isn't as expensive as reported. We don't need that kind of financial hit. The world will be laughing at us yet again over his extravagance.

Why can't he just hitch a ride with Nancy Pelosi for at least part of the trip?

Old 11-02-2010, 01:50 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC1 View Post

Doesn't even have the courage to stay home and face the music. Yet you still blindly follow this fool. for you.
I suppose there is nothing of importance that would cause an American President to visit the 11th largest economic power, one of only 2 nuclear states in the region, and one that plays a key role in the geopolitics of the region which includes Pakistan. Yes, pretty silly of him.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:53 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
It's an unsubstantiated number from an anonymous source in a state gov't - and it is not clear from the quote if this is a cost to the US gov't, the Indian gov't, or both. The quote does not say "per day".

“The huge amount of around $200 million would be spent on security, stay and other aspects of the Presidential visit,” a top official of the Maharashtra Government privy to the arrangements for the high-profile visit said.
The link I read does say that it will cost the 'US Government' 'per day' the said amount of '$200 million' - I do not know what article you read? It also said that 3,000 people will accompany the Prez - hope we aren't paying for all of them.

Also, why is he even going over there? I love how the article talks about the cost but not the purpose of the trip - WTH.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:00 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,522,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I suppose there is nothing of importance that would cause an American President to visit the 11th largest economic power, one of only 2 nuclear states in the region, and one that plays a key role in the geopolitics of the region which includes Pakistan. Yes, pretty silly of him.

Well with the events going on in this region he should
have been there sooner

His Character and Policies have dictated his fate !

Old 11-02-2010, 02:09 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
The link I read does say that it will cost the 'US Government' 'per day' the said amount of '$200 million' - I do not know what article you read? It also said that 3,000 people will accompany the Prez - hope we aren't paying for all of them.

Also, why is he even going over there? I love how the article talks about the cost but not the purpose of the trip - WTH.
Yes, I saw that, but I haven't seen any confirmation of those figures from any other source, have you? Nor did I see how they arrived at that figure or what was counted?

I cannot believe so many people don't ask questions any more! Whatever happened to critical thinking?

Good grief! No wonder our nation is going off the deep end. We've become a nation of willing suckers who will believe anything they're told!

Old 11-02-2010, 02:12 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
It's an unsubstantiated number from an anonymous source in a state gov't - and it is not clear from the quote if this is a cost to the US gov't, the Indian gov't, or both.
Its never born by the receiving country..
Quote:
The quote does not say "per day".
Read title of story..
US to spend $200 mn a day on Obama's Mumbai visit
Quote:
its a 10 day trip, 4 days being spent in this country.. I'd like to see the bill and compare it to the cost of other trips.. It sounds wayy out of line...

Does he really need 5,000 individuals, and again, why are we paying for reporters costs? I can see it now, reporters travel, we pay for their trip, they return and report how wonderful it was.. No conflict there!!!

Old 11-02-2010, 02:20 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Does he really need 5,000 individuals, and again, why are we paying for reporters costs? I can see it now, reporters travel, we pay for their trip, they return and report how wonderful it was.. No conflict there!!!
Well... that number goes up every post.

BTW... Reporters who fly on government transport (to include AF1) actually pay the equivalent of 1st Class fair plus $1.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:22 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post

Yes, the link says that but it extrapolates from the quote that doesn't say that.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:23 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Read title of story..
US to spend $200 mn a day on Obama's Mumbai visit

Forget the title; read the story with some UNDERSTANDING!

An un-named, anonymous, Indian state "official" pulls a number out of thin air and that's all there is to this "story." There's nothing else! Heck, he may not even exist!

And y'all act like it's the end of the friggin' world!

Boy, this sure would be a good time to be a politician. People will believe ANYTHING, no matter how outrageous, no matter how unlikely, no matter how unsubstantiated. All ya gotta do is whisper, "Hey...didja hear? Somebody said...." and the mobs are off and running.

With voters like this, I doubt our country will survive another week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies