Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:52 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
Your arguments are lacking consistency. First, I thought it was fairly obvious, but maybe not to you, that you do not encompass the liberal world. I was talking a tone and events that exist in the world of liberalism, and I backed it up. Simply because you do not watch Letterman is irrelevant. I am sure you have heard of this media powerhouse known as David Letterman, yeah? He is a well known liberal, powerful in the media, so my example works. Because you mention you do not watch him does nothing but avoid the facts, as is ironic given your chosen name. You also have yet to answer the question: What about the fact that many liberals have made fun of Sarah Palin's appearance. YOu condemn it when it happens to Mrs Obama, so is it not morally and logically consistent to also condemn it when it happens to Mrs Palin? You didn't asnwer that, maybe now you will.

As to the issue of put downs of Mrs Obama's appearance, they are morally wrong. I never denied that, and that wasn't the question. Please try and pay attention and not put words in someone's mouth. YOu keep losing here for a reason.
Just because you say that I am losing doesn't make it so. I don't know who you think that you are but the last time I checked, you have no bearing on whether or not I win or lose anything. You started this BS argument in an attempt to deflect. Michelle Bachman was asked a question, she refused to answer and a comment was made about her being in a trance. Those are the facts.

The comment made by Chris Matthews had nothing to do with her or Sarah Pailin's physical appearace so perhaps if you had stayed on topic in the first place, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Deflection, denial and bullying is a "tone and events" that exist in the Conservative world. I can post links and give examples as well but it doesn't meant that you'll agree with me.

Stating an opinion and linking to a comment by a television commentator doesn't make your opinion of the liberal world a fact. I can do the same and say that all conservative bad, all black people are bad, all white people are bad etc. You are simply pointing a finger.

It is not my responsibilty to go around condeming every comment made by a liberal just as it isn't yours to do for Conservatives. If you're not willing to do something, don't expect it from others. I already stated what I thought was wrong and you can take your holier-than-thou attitude elsewhere. You seem to think that all of the rude behavior comes from people one one side of the politcal spectrum. That's BS.

I know who David Letterman is, I also know who Rush Limbaugh is and I know that Liberals aren't the only ones who make comments in poor taste. I never denied that it was morally wrong from either side, so what's your point? What I said was the Chris Matthews' comment had nothing do do with Bachman's appearance, your point is moot and if you want to keep attacking my name, start with yours because you are spouting off with a whole lot of BS and calling it factual or true information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 09:28 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
What TV commentator has made similar comments to or about FLOTUS or her children?

Not only have comments been made about her appearance but attacks have been made on the president's family. As I said earlier, those on the right who overlook and deny the rude behavior can go somewhere with that BS. Speakthetruth seems to think only people on the left can behave rudely. What is it called when it's done by people conservative television and radio personalities?

Quote:
More recently Glenn Beck seemed mesmerized by Michelle Obama's breasts, as he giggled like a stand-in for Beavis or Butthead, and mocked the First Lady's dress. "I don't think I've ever seen the first lady with her -He-he-he-he- excuse the expression -He-he-he-he- but with her breasts all smooshed up sort of, I mean, what is that?",
http://www.examiner.com/political-media-in-national/glenn-beck-hot-water-with-wife-gives-hypocritical-apology-on-obama-kids

Quote:
Beck, taking off on this, mockingly affected Malia’s voice, asking “Daddy” why he “hates black people so much.” Then Beck attacked Malia’s intelligence, saying: “That’s the level of their education, that they’re coming to – they’re coming to daddy and saying ‘Daddy, did you plug the hole yet?’ ”
http://www.rolandsmartin.com/blog/index.php/2010/05/28/glenn-beck-smears-obamas-11-year-old-daughter-audio/

Quote:
There has also been a steady stream of taunts about the speaker’s appearance, and whether it’s been surgically enhanced. On CNN’s “State of the Union,” Republican strategist Alex Castellanos said, “I think if Speaker Pelosi were still capable of human facial expression, we’d see she’d be embarrassed.”
RNC's below-the-belt shot at Nancy Pelosi - Andie Coller - POLITICO.com

As for Rush:

Quote:
Socks is the White House cat. But did you know there is also a White House dog?"
— while holding up a photograph of 13-year-old Chelsea Clinton on his 1993 television show, Rush Limbaugh
Read more: Conservative Radio Host Rush Limbaugh - TIME

Quote:
In 2003, he imitated Michael J. Fox's Parkinson's symptoms on air and wondered aloud if Fox had exaggerated them for political gain following Fox's endorsement of a Democratic candidate.
Quote:
Quote:
Referred to now-President Obama as "Barack the Magic Negro" and played a song by the same name to the tune of "Puff the Magic Dragon." As an explanation, Limbaugh said that that the term was historical

I supposed that making fun of people's children, attacking people with disablities and talking about the FLOTUS' breasts are acceptable, morally superior behavior. It doesn't take much to find more derogatory comments about Michelle Obama's appearance. Just search the forums.

Last edited by Factsplease; 11-03-2010 at 09:48 AM..

Old 11-03-2010, 10:09 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,724 times
She's tired. And the crowd was very loud. I am sure that she had trouble hearing him. Either way, Chris can just go home and suck his thumb, have a bottle and take a nap.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:11 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Talking You go Michelle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Check out the sign in the backround

"A combative Chris Matthews accuses Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) of being "hypnotized" and under a "trance."

Bachmann says we're out of this "nightmare" and "we're thrilled."

"I think people are thrilling tonight, I imagine that thrill is maybe not quite so tingly on your leg anymore, I'm not sure anymore," Rep. Bachmann told Matthews."

RealClearPolitics - Video - Bachmann To MSNBC's Matthews: That Thrill Isn't Tingly Anymore

Bachman - Palin 2012!

Joe the plumber for Secy of State!

Christine O'Donnell for Secy of Defense!

This guy for attorney general!

Old 11-03-2010, 10:11 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,809,014 times
Misleading title, Matthews owned batsh*t bachmann.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:10 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockridge View Post
She didnt answer any questions in true clueless tea party fashion. She played the role of a clueless ditz. Oh wait, that wasnt an act. Furthermore, I hope Sarah Palin runs for President in 2012 so Obama can bury her dumb *** in the debates. I can't wait to see her finally exposed for what she is, a brainless bumpkin with a sharp tongue and very few solutions, nothing more.

The only thing worse than people like Bachmann and Palin are the ridiculous fools who actually listen to them with any degree of seriousness, and the fact that there numbers appears to be growing is nothing more than a reflection of the low inventory of intellectual capital in far too many states out there.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:40 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Check out the sign in the backround

"A combative Chris Matthews accuses Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) of being "hypnotized" and under a "trance."

Bachmann says we're out of this "nightmare" and "we're thrilled."

"I think people are thrilling tonight, I imagine that thrill is maybe not quite so tingly on your leg anymore, I'm not sure anymore," Rep. Bachmann told Matthews."

RealClearPolitics - Video - Bachmann To MSNBC's Matthews: That Thrill Isn't Tingly Anymore
Poor Chris. Really just hasn't been a good week for him and his gang.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:24 PM

785 posts, read 619,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Just because you say that I am losing doesn't make it so. I don't know who you think that you are but the last time I checked, you have no bearing on whether or not I win or lose anything. You started this BS argument in an attempt to deflect. Michelle Bachman was asked a question, she refused to answer and a comment was made about her being in a trance. Those are the facts.

The comment made by Chris Matthews had nothing to do with her or Sarah Pailin's physical appearace so perhaps if you had stayed on topic in the first place, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Deflection, denial and bullying is a "tone and events" that exist in the Conservative world. I can post links and give examples as well but it doesn't meant that you'll agree with me.

Stating an opinion and linking to a comment by a television commentator doesn't make your opinion of the liberal world a fact. I can do the same and say that all conservative bad, all black people are bad, all white people are bad etc. You are simply pointing a finger.

It is not my responsibilty to go around condeming every comment made by a liberal just as it isn't yours to do for Conservatives. If you're not willing to do something, don't expect it from others. I already stated what I thought was wrong and you can take your holier-than-thou attitude elsewhere. You seem to think that all of the rude behavior comes from people one one side of the politcal spectrum. That's BS.

I know who David Letterman is, I also know who Rush Limbaugh is and I know that Liberals aren't the only ones who make comments in poor taste. I never denied that it was morally wrong from either side, so what's your point? What I said was the Chris Matthews' comment had nothing do do with Bachman's appearance, your point is moot and if you want to keep attacking my name, start with yours because you are spouting off with a whole lot of BS and calling it factual or true information.
YOU:
ME:
Actually, when I ask questions you avoid, and you try and change the subject, it reveals that you dont want anymore. If you can't answer fact with fact, sorry, but you're losing the debate. As for the Michelle Bachman debate, I NEVER EVEN WEIGHED IN ON IT. Please show me where I did. I was talking about Sarah Palin. Those are the facts. Trying to assign an argument about Mrs Bachman to me is a straw man.

YOU:
ME:
Bullying? or simply winning the debate. Please stop whining. You and I are debating in the marketplace of ideas, and it seems your side is losing. As for Chris Matthews, see above.

YOU:
ME:
Actually, I backed up my words with an article that also backed up a theory that Liberals seem to veer into sexism when it comes to Sarah Palin. It was more than one example in that the silence of SO MANY on the left in the face of sexist attacks on Sarah Palin reveals a widespread sexism on the left. Those are the facts. I am no more pointing a finger than your rants against conservatives. Whats wrong, you dont want to back up your words now?

YOU:
ME:
Actually, I DID back up my words, you did not. Oh, please show me where I said all rude behavior comes from one side. Actually, there you go again, forgetting that I addressed this. Remember this line below? You tried to put words in my mouth eralier, and I stopped you. Wanna try again? Here:
(POSTED EARLIER):
YOU:
It wasn't that serious so I am not sure why you are comparing it to the Sarah Pailin thing and why you only appear to defend Republican women

ME:
Hey, did you miss this part of my post?

Its sad and uncalled for. Liberals have some explaining to do for any and all attacks on her family, just like any and all attacks on a Democrats family.

Before you make accusations, please read my posts first.

YOU:
I know who David Letterman is, I also know who Rush Limbaugh is and I know that Liberals aren't the only ones who make comments in poor taste. I never denied that it was morally wrong from either side, so what's your point? What I said was the Chris Matthews' comment had nothing do do with Bachman's appearance, your point is moot and if you want to keep attacking my name, start with yours because you are spouting off with a whole lot of BS and calling it factual or true information.[/
ME:
Again, I wasn't even talking about Chris Matthews. The conversation evolved. I backed up my info, and your post is really reading like..."please stop pickin on meeee".

Have a good night, and thank you for the debate!

Old 11-03-2010, 05:29 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
YOU:
ME:
Actually, when I ask questions you avoid, and you try and change the subject, it reveals that you dont want anymore. If you can't answer fact with fact, sorry, but you're losing the debate. As for the Michelle Bachman debate, I NEVER EVEN WEIGHED IN ON IT. Please show me where I did. I was talking about Sarah Palin. Those are the facts. Trying to assign an argument about Mrs Bachman to me is a straw man.

YOU:
ME:
Bullying? or simply winning the debate. Please stop whining. You and I are debating in the marketplace of ideas, and it seems your side is losing. As for Chris Matthews, see above.

YOU:
ME:
Actually, I backed up my words with an article that also backed up a theory that Liberals seem to veer into sexism when it comes to Sarah Palin. It was more than one example in that the silence of SO MANY on the left in the face of sexist attacks on Sarah Palin reveals a widespread sexism on the left. Those are the facts. I am no more pointing a finger than your rants against conservatives. Whats wrong, you dont want to back up your words now?

YOU:
ME:
Actually, I DID back up my words, you did not. Oh, please show me where I said all rude behavior comes from one side. Actually, there you go again, forgetting that I addressed this. Remember this line below? You tried to put words in my mouth eralier, and I stopped you. Wanna try again? Here:
(POSTED EARLIER):
YOU:
It wasn't that serious so I am not sure why you are comparing it to the Sarah Pailin thing and why you only appear to defend Republican women

ME:
Hey, did you miss this part of my post?

Its sad and uncalled for. Liberals have some explaining to do for any and all attacks on her family, just like any and all attacks on a Democrats family.

Before you make accusations, please read my posts first.

YOU:
I know who David Letterman is, I also know who Rush Limbaugh is and I know that Liberals aren't the only ones who make comments in poor taste. I never denied that it was morally wrong from either side, so what's your point? What I said was the Chris Matthews' comment had nothing do do with Bachman's appearance, your point is moot and if you want to keep attacking my name, start with yours because you are spouting off with a whole lot of BS and calling it factual or true information.[/
ME:
Again, I wasn't even talking about Chris Matthews. The conversation evolved. I backed up my info, and your post is really reading like..."please stop pickin on meeee".

Have a good night, and thank you for the debate!
Now girls...you are both beautiful.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:51 PM

785 posts, read 619,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Now girls...you are both beautiful.

ha! I did laugh at that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies