Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 10:00 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times

Advertisements

Oh well! People talk trash all the time. There goes the first on your list. ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
And the only reason those verses say that is because of the way they were translated from the original languages. To this Christian, the only verses that matter are the words of my Lord, Christ Jesus - who, BTW, says nothing at all about homosexuals or homosexuality. He does have an awful lot to say about how we should treat others, though. And about leaving judgment up to God. The following was posted on facebook by a cousin of mine in response to an anti-gay tirade posted by another:

Leviticus 19:16
..."Do not go about spreading slander among your people. Do not do anything that endangers your neighbors life. I am the Lord.

Leviticus 19:18
"Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF. I am the Lord."

Colossians 3:12
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Ephesians 5:2
and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Romans 12:10
Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.

Romans 13:8
Let no debt remain outstanding, except for the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law.

Romans 15:7
Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 10:03 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm2010 View Post
The Bible is older than government itself, my dear.

Just sayin'....
The point you seem to have missed in your education is that this country is NOT governed by the Bible. To see that, go back up 10 or 12 posts to the link I posted for the Constitution and read that document.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_ice_cream_cone View Post
there are many non-Christians who dont want gay marraige. Why would anyone that is not gay want gays to get married?
It's not so much that we "want gays to get married" as it is that we see no reason to deny them marriage. In the 12 years I've been involved in this debate, no one has ever been able to give a logical explanation as to why they should not be allowed to marry. Perhaps you could come up with one?

Old 11-04-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Your post directly supports SLCPUNK's assessment! If you don't agree with it, then it ain't democracy.

The judges saw that disallowing gay marriage went against the state's constitution as written. That is their job, to make such designations. They didn't legislate from the bench. No one gets a say in the rights of others, that's why they are rights, guaranteed by a Constitution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
And would other judges interpret the law differently?
I think that's what the voters in Iowa are hoping, but if the judges in question all had good education in exactly what the state Constitution means, they likely would come to the same interpretation. It is the voters whose education in their state's constitution seems to be lacking.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Since marriage is a religious ceremony, it would reason that it is heterosexual. (removed the rude and extremely obnoxious description of same sex marriage.)
Are you saying my parents weren't 'really' married? Their wedding was officiated by a judge, not a minister or pastor.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:26 AM

My parents i.e., two heterosexuals were also married/officiated by a judge. They don't believe in religion. It's dumb. Obviously.

Quote:
Are you saying my parents weren't 'really' married? Their wedding was officiated by a judge, not a minister or pastor.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
You are right we don't need terrorists to destroy our country when we have gays doing it.
I don't usually bother with your ridiculous posts any more, but I just have to ask - how do you see gays destroying this country?

Old 11-04-2010, 10:29 AM

Our country has had worse times way before gays were parading out of the closet like at a Cher concert. An example of that? Oh, okay. Who remembers the civil war? There weren't any gays at that time. They were in the closet. Yet our country had major social problems. Or remember the depression of 1920 or 1930s? Gays were in the closet back then, too.

Quote:
I don't usually bother with your ridiculous posts any more, but I just have to ask - how do you see gays destroying this country?

Old 11-04-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm2010 View Post
Christian + Gay = Non Christian ? Hypocrite? Bigot?
If more people would bother to look at other's profiles, they might not make mistakes like this. The person you are replying to is not gay! Plus it is not up to you to make the determination of another's Christianity. That is God's job, not yours.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:43 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Our country has had worse times way before gays were parading out of the closet like at a Cher concert. An example of that? Oh, okay. Who remembers the civil war? There weren't any gays at that time. They were in the closet. Yet our country had major social problems. Or remember the depression of 1920 or 1930s? Gays were in the closet back then, too.
Ever hear of Walt Whitman?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies