Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:21 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD360 View Post
Are you a wealthy CEO or the owner of a big oil company? Is that why you advocate in the interest of the rich and big corporations?

I'm wondering why those Bush tax cuts for those "who actually create jobs" hasn't done much in the way of motivating those folks to "actually create jobs" up to this point. Ah, but silly me. Let's get out there and make sure that the wealthy corporatists get even wealthier and that we pay taxes for them.
Cap and Tax doesn't impact only oil companies, or the wealthy. It impacts each and every business owner, large and small, struggling or not, oil company or otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 07:44 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,785,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Cap and Tax doesn't impact only oil companies, or the wealthy. It impacts each and every business owner, large and small, struggling or not, oil company or otherwise.
"Cap and trade", don't forget that market concept. People are so fixated on the cap, amazing! Cap and trade is a much better idea than a taxation or fining regulatory system for emissions. But it has to be done right for it to be cost effective. The Waxman bill did it all wrong. Maybe the Republicans can clean it up and start promoting cap and trade.

No way! Republicans won't touch this even though it is something that they would propose because of how it works. They have said too much against cap and trade for them to adapt it as policy.

The first thing Republicans address is taxation. That's my guess.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:15 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,472,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It is a basic question of a basic requirement from the constitution that is required of the person occupying the White House. That there has been case after case thrown out of court rather than man up and answer the question, is not something that I see any humor about.
I don't see any humor either, since there is no question.

But if it will help you sleep tonight:

Old 11-03-2010, 08:27 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,447,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Who cares? It'll die in the Senate.

The House GOP can spin its wheels and make a lot of noise, but that's about all it can do.
I think they can propose legislation that is in direct contravention to Obama and the democratic agenda which will make a clear picture of what the democrats in office at the time will have to vote down and, in Obama's case, veto if it makes it through.

In other words they can make the democrats, and the president, the party of no. This time the party of no will, again, be in direct contravention to the will of the majority of Americans. They can use the same tactics that got them elected to gain even more power. If this is a good thing or not will depend on your political leanings.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:29 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,765,477 times
Boehner will try to repeal the tax on tanning beds.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:33 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
All Americans must now pledge allegiance to our all mighty Gawd and swear to report neighbors to Bachman to investigate who don't seem "American enough."

For what? Putting forth legislation you don't agree with? Democracy can be such a tough concept for some I suppose.
No .. just the legislation nobody reads before it's crammed down our throats ..

Forcing a vote for legislation that contains "hundreds of blank pages" is not Democracy by any stretch of the imagination .. it's Tyranny

Last edited by bigskydude; 11-03-2010 at 08:41 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 08:41 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I don't know what they will do first, but somewhere in their doings, I hope they address the issue of the Obama natural born question that has been thrown out of so many courts because only the congress can address it. I think this question needs to be answered.
The birthers always sort of glossed over the well known fact that John McCain was born in Panama. Neither McCain or Bush were "natural born" either...one was a C-section, the other surely must have been still born.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
The birthers always sort of glossed over the well known fact that John McCain was born in Panama.
Actually, he was born in the U.S. Canal Zone, which was not the same as "Panama" in 1936.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:46 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,765,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Actually, he was born in the U.S. Canal Zone, which was not the same as "Panama" in 1936.
He's white, so we don't even need to see his birth certificate.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
He's white, so we don't even need to see his birth certificate.
Yeah, that too, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies