Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 03:06 PM

516 posts, read 375,771 times

Advertisements

OK. You can believe whatever you wish but the facts speak for themselves no matter how you'd like to massage them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 03:07 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
With Goofy back in the state house it's only a matter of time before we ARE annexed by Mexico.

Maybe I'll move to Oregon.
Sorry, we don't want any more Californians in Oregon...We're full. Try Idaho

Old 11-03-2010, 03:07 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
I have mixed feelings. On one hand I feel it would give the typical California liberals a wakeup call once they are annexed by Mexico, but on the other hand they are American citizens living on American soil. If we absolutely had to do it, then I say we evacuate all Americans except for the illegal immigrants (obviously), and the Hollywood types (Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan, etc). Mexifornia can keep Paris and Lindsey and all the other weirdos.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:09 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC1 View Post
OK. You can believe whatever you wish but the facts speak for themselves no matter how you'd like to massage them.
Yes.... facts like a GSP of $2 trillion.

They do speak for themselves.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:09 PM

472 posts, read 854,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
LOL... we have the 8th largest economy in the world. We are 13% of the entire US GDP.

Among the many things we might be, we are not out of money.

But thanks for your concern.
Dude,

Google is your friend.

Try searching "California economy bankrupt" and you will see just how big of denial you are in...

Old 11-03-2010, 03:12 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm2010 View Post
Dude,

Google is your friend.

Try searching "California economy bankrupt" and you will see just how big of denial you are in...
I guess you really don't know much about bankruptcy. That's okay.

Like I said... independence would completely close our budget gap.

So please... let us go.

Edited to add: I did two Google searches. "California economy bankrupt" returned 4.9 million results. "Republican party bankrupt" returned 5.4 million.

How funny is that?

Old 11-03-2010, 03:18 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,531 times
Quote:
Among the many things we might be, we are not out of money.
Okay, you can stay then but don't ask for any bail outs.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:18 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times
Quote:
Since we send more to Washington than we get back, separation from the Union would close our budget gap and give us a surplus.

That is no joke.
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

Federal taxes from and federal funding sent to California have no bearing whatsoever on the state budget. The deficit would remain, perhaps being worse since the state would have to pick up the tab for a plethora of federal programs.

Quote:
We get back only 78 cents for every dollar we send. Independence would return tens of billions of dollars to Californian taxpayers.
Wrong again, California took $1.31 for every $1.00 paid in taxes to the amount of $80 billion last year. That was the second largest numerical amount behind Virginia, which took nearly $100 billion. Overall, California took in $350 billion in federal funds.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:21 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,157 times
I was born, raised, educated (terrific education in my time) and have lived in California all my life...well, with the exception of a couple years spent in New York and Maryland.

I have to say that I am still in shock that the "unfortunate" majority of California voters put Brown and Boxer in office. Boxer has been an embarrassment since she was first elected and Brown destroyed California's economy during his '70's term, wasting the great surplus that Ronald Reagan left.

My area has always voted Republican and done a good job. Kevin McCarthy (one of the 3 "top guns") is our representative in Congress. But the San Francisco/Oakland and Los Angeles areas are horrors. There are others, but these are big ones. Since Jerry Brown (as governor) and Willie Brown (as leader of our Assembly in Sacramento for 20+ years) ruined this State by constantly passing regulations and taxes that drove business out of the state and the government employee unions are destroying our financial solvency plus illegal immigrants and very bad representatives elected to our Sacramento houses this State has been slowly imploding.

I only hope I live long enough to see the "mess" dumped and this wonderful State cleaned up and back where it used to be. Maybe the next election....I hope, I hope and pray!

Old 11-03-2010, 03:22 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0CprVYsG0k

Such an embarrassment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies