Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 12:06 PM

126 posts, read 467,604 times

Advertisements

What did you expect? It wasn't paid for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 01:08 PM

41 posts, read 76,499 times
i'm fortunate enough to have a computer at home but i wonder what many people do without one...every place i have applied to has been online....well i think i got a per diem job...maybe a couple days a week but at least its a foot in the door again...i just did my physical, drug screening, and physical therapy tests and i passed so now i wait for the employer to call with a day to start orientation...i already passed the background check....i'm a nurse out of work for almost 2 yrs and finally got a break in a long term care facility....i'll still be following the unemployment situation and praying for everyone out there...........and just a note to anyone going into the health care profession...its over loaded with people and its that easy to find work, i have 28 yrs experience and took forever to find work...people arent leaving jobs and employers are using the ones there so they dont have to pay benefits for anyone new...maybe they will vote on the bill again before they leave AGAIN for recess...........

Old 11-18-2010, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
It is very troubling to read the posts in this thread from the older unemployed. I am now retired, but if I was in your situation, I would go to a company known to hire illegal aliens and demand they give me a job or I and others similarly situated will start picketing them and giving them as much bad publicity as we can muster.

I know a warehouse company in Reno and Austin, Texas that hires illegals at $8 per hour. I have already reported them to ICE, but nothing will probably happen.
If you think that illegal aliens are the reason we have high unemployment....You have a lot to learn! Last time I checked, most of those jobs are considered 'hard labor', which most Americans don't want to do anyway!

Old 11-18-2010, 01:47 PM

621 posts, read 2,326,231 times
um it's no surprise since, this was a 2/3rds majority vote to suspend debate on the bill and try to push it through. Everyone knew this was going to be the outcome

Old 11-18-2010, 01:55 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
This is a tactic that the Democrats have used routinely. Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.) did the same thing when -- just before the mid-term election recess -- she introduced her bill in the Senate to provide a Tier V (S.3706). She and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) agreed to "fast track" S.3706 by bringing it to the floor of the Senate for a vote with no preliminary debate -- knowing that, under the chamber's rules, a simple majority is not sufficient to pass a bill presented that way in the Senate.

The bill went nowhere, but Stabenow got credit with her constituents for "trying" to get a Tier V passed. Now McDermott is using the failed House bill -- which the Democrats knew well in advance would fail (no cost offset, no lining up votes in advance, etc.) -- to put the blame back on the Republicans.
So nothing more than crass political gamesmanship. Surprise, surprise...

Old 11-18-2010, 02:41 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Sounds to me like they know sooner or later something will get done, so the pols took advantage of this to play politics once again to (1) portray GOP as party of NO and (2) tell the unemployed they are not forgotten. Without offsets, everyone knows this is probably going nowhere.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:05 PM

118 posts, read 534,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exotiq View Post
If you think that illegal aliens are the reason we have high unemployment....You have a lot to learn! Last time I checked, most of those jobs are considered 'hard labor', which most Americans don't want to do anyway!
Very few of the jobs held by illegal immigrants would actually be considered hard labor. Contruction might be one but it's also "skilled labor," so that's more complicated anyway. Even farm work is not really as difficult as most people think, though I'm sure it depends on the crop (I've only done winegrapes, pears and apples).

The majority of jobs held by illegal immigrants are factory, hotel and restaurant type jobs, which most American workers would not find too hard.

The low wages illegal immigrants in those industries earn is usually pointed out as thing that prevents Americans from taking them. However, I think there's even more clearly also a class issue. These are jobs that we have come to associate with an underclass in our society. Native-born Americans don't want them because of the social implications. In fact, these sorts of jobs don't even exist on most people's radar when they're looking for work even if they're already willing to accept very low-paying jobs. Class-consciousness runs so deep.

...word is bondage...

Old 11-18-2010, 03:07 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,768 times
Sure seems like the states are preparing for nothing to happen here. Just got an email from Michigan UI about the phase out of EUC and EB. Seems they know something the rest of us dont. Just hard for me to believe that our government is pulling this on its people. It seems they are going to do this as a test session to see how things turn out and test the waters.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:12 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,767,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweater Fish View Post
Very few of the jobs held by illegal immigrants would actually be considered hard labor. Contruction might be one but it's also "skilled labor," so that's more complicated anyway. Even farm work is not really as difficult as most people think, though I'm sure it depends on the crop (I've only done winegrapes, pears and apples).

The majority of jobs held by illegal immigrants are factory, hotel and restaurant type jobs, which most American workers would not find too hard.

The low wages illegal immigrants in those industries earn is usually pointed out as thing that prevents Americans from taking them. However, I think there's even more clearly also a class issue. These are jobs that we have come to associate with an underclass in our society. Native-born Americans don't want them because of the social implications. In fact, these sorts of jobs don't even exist on most people's radar when they're looking for work even if they're already willing to accept very low-paying jobs. Class-consciousness runs so deep.

...word is bondage...
yup... If you're white and looking for unskilled work and you don't speak Spanish, you can just forget it. Mexicans get top priority because they're cheap and all the employees speak a common language.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:38 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,975,111 times
Default UI Extension Not a Priority on Democrats' Agenda for Lame-Duck Session?

CBS News is reporting that in a meeting today, President Obama and Democratic leaders discussed the agenda for the lame-duck session. According to White House press secretary Robert Gibbs, first and foremost on the agenda for the President is extending the tax cuts for middle class Americans.

Other top items included: eliminating the Alternative Minimum Tax for middle-class taxpayers; getting the Senate to confirm Jack Lew as Budget director; ratifying the START treaty; repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"; and enacting the Dream Act for undocumented immigrants in the United States. No mention of what priority -- if any -- is being given to extending unemployment benefits.

House Democrats: We'll Vote on Tax Cut Extensions For All But High Earners - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies