Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 09:00 PM

21 posts, read 24,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Here's the cold reality (and this post is going to have some splinters in it, because I'm copy/pasting it from another thread, as I don't want to re-type the whole thing to clean it up. The gist remains clear)

At some point the cord needs to be cut, and those who are perpetually unemployed need to be left to either sink or swim. I would rather the money be spent on welfare programs for these people which will hopefully shame them into being more amenable to finding work under less than ideal conditions (lower pay, forced relocation, etc.) than I am to simply extending their benefits until their dream job comes along. The issue with the W tax cuts is that the majority of this country (the middle class) wants to extend them....but only for them. It's real easy to sit in the catbird seat and claim that you should keep your tax cuts (not you, per se, since you aren't working), but that those who worked the hardest and became the most successful should now be forced to wholly subsidize those at the bottom. Again, it's not unreasonable to take a stance of "if you're going to eliminate the cuts for some, eliminate the cuts for all".

You state for every job, there are 5 applicants. If you're unemployed for 99 weeks, and you do the minimum 3 resume submissions a week, that means over the span of that 99 weeks you have sent out 297 resumes, and have not been able to beat out 4 other applicants for a job even *one* time. And really, that's all you need to do - convince ONE employer that you are better than the other 4 people. At what point do you look in the mirror and decide that the problem is what's staring back at you? It's not like you need to hit 10 in a row. You need 1 out of 300. I get that for every person at the top, there has to be another person equally close to the bottom, but after 99 weeks, you should have done enough to pull yourself up out of the bottom to become one of those at the top.

Lastly, you can claim that the system favors "the rich", but as a member of "the rich", I've got a couple of little facts for you:

1) 35% of my paycheck goes to my dear old Uncle Sammy right off the top. Most of that tax money goes to services I don't utilize. Then you add in my max-level contributions to Medicaid and Social Security (of which I'll never see a dime back on), etc.
2) The top 5% of earners in this country account for almost 65% of all tax revenue that's brought in. The middle 45% account for 35%, and the bottom 50% not only contribute nothing, but get paid to be there. That's not structured "in my favor". Just because "I can afford it" (a tax increase reducing the money I earn for working to pay for you to not work) doesn't mean I should "have to pay it". I can afford to buy a boat and sail to Antarctica while wearing a diamond-studded speedo. Doesn't mean I should.

Like I said, it's real easy to sit in your recliner playing Halo telling me I should be on board with giving you another 6 months of unemployment benefits. But the reality is while I would rather be at home playing a game, I'm sitting in an office right now to keep my own lifestyle going, and a decent chunk of what I'm earning is being funneled away for those not contributing to the system to be able to play Halo and enjoy the other services provided. It's always easier to reach into someone else's pocket than to go into one's own. It's also real easy to claim that the system should be restructured so that you get what you want, at the expense of poking someone like me in the eye with a stick because there are less people like me than there are people like you.
LOL you have to be kidding me! Do you know that the majority of unemployed workers make businesses that you work for successful? Do you know that the majority of unemployed workers today have worked their entire adult lives. Do you know that the unemployed workers receiving unemployment checks were all laid off and not fired. That these aren't deadbeats as you say sitting at home playing games. Like this is all just a big game! Why dont you take another 35% of your money for a year and start a business and hire people! lots of tax credits for new companies right now. Sorry if Uncle Sam takes 100k of your 300k salary a year! What about all your other perks? You sound like such a baby that I wonder how you got to be where you are with a cry baby attitude like that. Did mommy and daddy set you up? Give you every advantage? Yea I feel sorry for the rich alright! lol Thanks for the laugh at one of the lowest points in my life! I just hope that the 6 mos of school I've gone to so far, during my unemployed time, will give me somewhat of an advantage to get a job delivering pizzas, so I can continue to go, to better myself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 09:01 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,398 times
Well,I've been paying into this 'unemployment insurance' thing all my life. I can only expect to be able to collect at least a portion of what I paid in if I get laid off.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:01 PM

180 posts, read 391,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
I HOPE THEY DO NOT CONTINUE THE UNEMPLOYEMENT BENEFITS.NOT AGAINST ANYONE RECIEVING BENEFITS. JUST THINK WHEN THE LAW SAYS 26 WEEKS IT SHOULD BE 26 WEEKS. WHY CHANGE THE LAW IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GAME, I feel cheated had i known the government was going to pay for so long i would have become unemployed a long time ago!
So you are saying that you would you have known, you would have chosen to fall in the 1% minority that would want to take advantage of the system? ...wtg ......

It is exactly this kind of comment that gives the unfortunate this misconception.

This just confirms, these people have absolutely no clue ! Let me help you take your foot out of your mouth lol.

Last edited by Gabriel.S; 12-01-2010 at 09:09 PM..

Old 12-01-2010, 09:21 PM

41 posts, read 76,488 times
OK I'LL PLAY....PLEASE PLEASE GIVE ME MORE MONEY ....PLEASE PLEASE I DONT REALLY WANT TO WORK, PLEASE PLEASE MR AND MRS CONGRESS...I'M A FAT UGLY OLD PIG AND I HATE ALL POLITICIANS AND I JUST WANT FREE MONEY.............now reality is, i worked all my life very hard, and lost my job due to no fault of my own...in fact maybe protecting your parents or loved ones...i lost my job because i reported another nurse who decieded not to give the patients their medications for pain or tube feeding or whatever...after that i was called a rat and everyother name so i dont care what you people call me........but yeah i want my unemployment and yeah i'm entitled to it until i find a job comperable to what i had....again..protecting someone other then myself...hmmm maybe when i do find a job i'll look the other way and see nothing while you parents or loved ones are being abused.......SO ALL YOU IDIOTS OUT THERE THAT THINK YOU KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT UNEMPLOYMENT....GIVE ME YOUR CHECK BOOK AND I'LL GIVE YOU MINE...ANY TAKERS................

Old 12-01-2010, 09:22 PM

21 posts, read 24,164 times
Quote:
I HOPE THEY DO NOT CONTINUE THE UNEMPLOYEMENT BENEFITS.NOT AGAINST ANYONE RECIEVING BENEFITS. JUST THINK WHEN THE LAW SAYS 26 WEEKS IT SHOULD BE 26 WEEKS. WHY CHANGE THE LAW IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GAME, I feel cheated had i known the government was going to pay for so long i would have become unemployed a long time ago!
That is one of the worst things I have ever heard. The reason EUC was enacted was because the unemployment rate was so high. There has been a long history of EUC in past recessions. This isn't just something to change the game of in the middle of it. This is something to do to save a country, communities and small businesses. Sorry you feel cheated that your company was successful enough to survive the worst recession since the 30's. I feel cheated too. By the blatant disrespect of money hungry mortgage brokers, banks, and their conglomerates.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:28 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,398 times
Quote:
We employed folks pay a portion of our paycheck into unemployment insurance for an eventuality. I've used UI during down time, and I've still paid in more than I collected.

Got a problem with it?

Old 12-01-2010, 09:32 PM

180 posts, read 391,629 times
Ok, time to get back to my finals. Thanks for all the smiles everybody (nice to get away from the doom and gloom finally), it was all in good fun and in no way personal. I'm hoping everyone feels the same way

Gabriel

Last edited by Gabriel.S; 12-01-2010 at 10:12 PM..

Old 12-01-2010, 10:13 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the jobs left because of liberal globalist policies
No, the jobs left because the greedy corporation officials figured they would make more money if they paid the workers less and they could only get away with paying the workers less by taking the jobs overseas.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:16 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt V. View Post
Perfect example of how my original post was taken out of context! Thank you for making me laugh when I have the worst case scenario. Read on for details, maybe you will learn something rather than just blindly agree with another who blindly sees. There is a bigger picture and I did say there are people worse off. You just need to educate yourself with original posts before blindly agreeing with people that take things out of context and spread it.
Just ftr - I'm IN Wa state also - any UE benefits are "week to week" as you put it...........

Learn to deal with uncertainty a little better - there are no guarantees in this life except that no-one gets out alive.

Please DO name any state that has had "no EUC" btw.

You're angry because you don't get to move to the next Tier, sorry about that, there's plenty of people in the same position as you (or worse can't even move onto Tier ONE) and THEY don't happen to be in states that HAVE EB without 100% federal funding.

Oh and WA isn't even in the top ten worst UE states either (as you stated)- for your edification - check the list on the right of the linked page - http://www.bls.gov/lau/

Perhaps it's you who needs to put your anger aside so you can read clearly?

Last edited by Opyelie; 12-01-2010 at 10:26 PM..

Old 12-01-2010, 10:17 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Faux News is doing a wonderful job, clearly.

Totally delusional to think this way.

Bush had 52 consecutive months of job growth.

Jobs and the economy did not start going down hill until after 2007, after libs took control of congress.

Liberals have had total control of congress for 4 years yet you still blame Bush.

We HANDED Obama billions to create jobs and he has not only wasted away the money but has cost us 5 million jobs to boot.

This is the dems mess on their watch which they created over the last 4 years with reckless spending.

2 years of Obama has produced ZERO results.

The GOP is not the party of No, the REAL party of NO is the dems.
They said HELL NO to the majority of Americans who said no to the HC bill.
They ran it anyway and paid dear for it last month for telling us NO.

2 recessions under the dems watch in 4 years.

Billions of our dollars has been handed to Obama and nothing to show for it.

How much longer are you going to blame Bush? Willing to bet if the economy changes you would be giving the idiot in the WH credit for it.

The MAJORITY of Americans are against Obama and the dems, cant you see that?

I demand my rep stop all dems last minute spending sprees and demand they work on how to create jobs and extend the tax cuts for everyone.

Sorry but the MSNBC crowd has filled your brain with BS.

Corps create jobs as well as millions of small businesses.

Those small businesses do not trust Obama and will not spend cash to hire people under these economic conditions.

I owned a small business and know full well that when you have a big spender like Obama in the WH with Pelosi and Reid teamed together you will get taxed to death and money stolen from you by the liberals.

The Bush tax cuts were NOT just for the rich people at all.

They allowed me and my business to grow, prosper and make great money.

Thanks to Bush many people picked up their nice paychecks every week for many years working for me.

Lets see how Obama can copy what Bush did and get the economy going, have 52 consecutive months of JOB GROWTH and put money in peoples hands.

My bet he is he cannot do it.

This is the dems watch, the dems mess.

Obamas watch, Obamas mess.

You guys own it and just got your butts kicked because of your massive failures.

Turn of the freak Maddox, RedDog, Keith and Matthews and learn to understand how things work. The anti American channel is last for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies