U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-04-2010, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,610 posts, read 4,658,890 times
Reputation: 1473

Advertisements

Do many / most of you believe that there is about to be congressional gridlock with a Republican-controlled house and a Democrat-controlled senate? I tend to think that some of those dems in the senate may be thinking that they want to distance themselves from Obama in the eyes of their constituants and will be much more amenable to siding with the Republicans. Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2010, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Tampa Florida
22,232 posts, read 16,970,787 times
Reputation: 4584
Very little doubt. There is no political advantage to the Repubs to actually work with the Dems. Their objective is the WH and majorities in both houses, no other objective.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2010, 08:41 AM
 
10,092 posts, read 7,765,768 times
Reputation: 3409
The blue dog dems who might have worked with the R's are gone, and the R's have zero interest in compromise of any kind. Sounds like gridlock to me...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2010, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Looking over your shoulder
31,304 posts, read 31,019,788 times
Reputation: 84435
The past two years has been congressional gridlock, nothing will change.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2010, 08:43 AM
 
Location: In the desert
4,049 posts, read 2,557,056 times
Reputation: 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Very little doubt. There is no political advantage to the Repubs to actually work with the Dems. Their objective is the WH and majorities in both houses, no other objective.
Agreed! It will be politics as usual with both sides playing their tired childish games. Not much will be accomplished & if anything does get done, if it is not positive for the country as a whole, both parties will just blame one another.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2010, 08:43 AM
 
10,876 posts, read 13,132,101 times
Reputation: 4896
It will be tough to say. Mitch Mcconnell has made it clear his #1 objective is to take Obama out which is very childish. It's looking like the republicans are going to try and do everything they possibly can to cause havoc in the white house, and continue to do so for years to come until they get full control of the senate and presidency. The dems though are still calling the shots and i hope they put the right in their place with filibusters and vetos like this country has never seen, though from the president's speech yesterday it looks like Obama hasn't learned his lesson from reaching across the isle and will roll over again to the republicans.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2010, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Tampa Florida
22,232 posts, read 16,970,787 times
Reputation: 4584
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The blue dog dems who might have worked with the R's are gone, and the R's have zero interest in compromise of any kind. Sounds like gridlock to me...
That's what we voted for, now we got it, enjoy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2010, 08:44 AM
 
9,733 posts, read 9,135,396 times
Reputation: 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
The past two years has been congressional gridlock, nothing will change.
Gridlock is good. You can't reverse a runaway train until you finally get it stopped.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2010, 08:46 AM
 
9,733 posts, read 9,135,396 times
Reputation: 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
It will be tough to say. Mitch Mcconnell has made it clear his #1 objective is to take Obama out which is very childish. It's looking like the republicans are going to try and do everything they possibly can to cause havoc in the white house, and continue to do so for years to come until they get full control of the senate and presidency. The dems though are still calling the shots and i hope they put the right in their place with filibusters and vetos like this country has never seen, though from the president's speech yesterday it looks like Obama hasn't learned his lesson from reaching across the isle and will roll over again to the republicans.
So the Democrats will be obstructing the REAL "will of the people"?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2010, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Tampa Florida
22,232 posts, read 16,970,787 times
Reputation: 4584
Mitch McConnell is right now reiterating the Repub objective. No Bama, nothing, not you, not me, nothing else matters to them. They do not care about jobs, debt, nothing else. Get that thru your heads.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:28 AM.

¬© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top