Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:55 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times

Advertisements

url=http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1110/44641.html]Eric Cantor lays out 22-page game plan - Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com[/url] Spending, a major priority of Republicans’, also gets top billing from Cantor. He says he will try to ensure that all new spending has “explicitly” listed how it will be paid for and how the legislation fits into the constitution.

Read more: Eric Cantor lays out 22-page game plan - Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com In a throwback to the past, Cantor is aiming to bring rescission bills to the floor under an open rule so members could cut federal spending they deem as wasteful. In addition, he plans to continue the YouCut program – a plan much maligned by Democrats which put spending cuts in the hands of online users. In the beginning of the last Republican majority in 1995, the GOP had internal clashes over spending cuts, especially when members sought to slash items in other Republicans’ districts.

Read more: Eric Cantor lays out 22-page game plan - Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 09:24 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
url=http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1110/44641.html]Eric Cantor lays out 22-page game plan - Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com[/url] Spending, a major priority of Republicans’, also gets top billing from Cantor. He says he will try to ensure that all new spending has “explicitly” listed how it will be paid for and how the legislation fits into the constitution.

Read more: Eric Cantor lays out 22-page game plan - Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com In a throwback to the past, Cantor is aiming to bring rescission bills to the floor under an open rule so members could cut federal spending they deem as wasteful. In addition, he plans to continue the YouCut program – a plan much maligned by Democrats which put spending cuts in the hands of online users. In the beginning of the last Republican majority in 1995, the GOP had internal clashes over spending cuts, especially when members sought to slash items in other Republicans’ districts.

Read more: Eric Cantor lays out 22-page game plan - Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com
also said they will end earmarks. real change!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:31 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,259,142 times
Here's the full text of Cantor's 22-page document, "Delivering on our Commitment." It should be fun watching the repubs attempting the elimination of earmarks. LOL. Cantor already backtracks on about Page 4 cautioning that all of his proposal can't be accomplished overnight.
I've bookmarked for future reference.
http://republicanwhip.house.gov/Majority/Cantor.pdf (broken link)

Old 11-04-2010, 10:38 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,772,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
also said they will end earmarks. real change!
From experience of hearing this before from both parties, I say "prove it" to the GOP. I am highly dubious this will happen.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:41 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Here's the full text of Cantor's 22-page document, "Delivering on our Commitment." It should be fun watching the repubs attempting the elimination of earmarks. LOL. Cantor already backtracks on about Page 4 cautioning that all of his proposal can't be accomplished overnight.
I've bookmarked for future reference.
http://republicanwhip.house.gov/Majority/Cantor.pdf (broken link)
You mock the elimination of earmarks but didn't several Dems just run on doing just that? I know the failed run by Robin Carnahan (D-MO) did just that.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:51 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,259,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
From experience of hearing this before from both parties, I say "prove it" to the GOP. I am highly dubious this will happen.
My point exactly. Never going to happen. The repubs may be able to eliminate the full house vote on naming Post Offices.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:53 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,620,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
+1

I hope the tea party holds them accountable. There was no one to hold pelosi and her "transparency" claims accountable, and look what we got.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:02 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You mock the elimination of earmarks but didn't several Dems just run on doing just that? I know the failed run by Robin Carnahan (D-MO) did just that.

One thing I respect the speaker elect for is he has never proposed a pork additon himself. One thing I dont like is he doesnt criticize anyone for them either. I'm all for earmark removal, but it would freeze washington. If you look at a bill you like or support, it probably has pork in it.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:08 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,620,504 times
freezing Washington is a bad thing? That's what was largely responsible for saving Clinton's presidency--when the GOP took over in 1994 he became largely ineffective and did nothing from then on due to partisanship. It's when we have the house, the senate and the prez from teh same party that we have issues.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:52 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
+1

I hope the tea party holds them accountable. There was no one to hold pelosi and her "transparency" claims accountable, and look what we got.
How do you propose that the Tea Party does that when they were just funded by the Republicans? This is a case of dependency by both parties. They are now officially cojoined with vital organs being shared.

I'd say that both parties are between a rock and a hard place. This is going to get very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies