Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:21 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I had a date with a Dem who thought it was his certain duty to lead me to the light of the Democratic party.
[snip]
The liberal minded friends I do have - we never discuss politics.
There's a world of difference between discussing and proselytizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 01:24 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I am a conservative who studies and reads about politics for several hours each day. I have been following Sharron Angle for a long time and I am very sad that she lost the election. She was my ideal candidate...everything that I dreamed of.

I have a friend who never pays any attention to politics. His main hobbies are gambling, watching TV wrestling and soap opears. There can be major news events happening and he will have no idea they are taking place in his own little world. Anyway as a heavy TV watcher, he was heavily influenced by Harry Reid's anti-Angle commercials. He would recite them word for word (no wonder millions of dollars are spent on these ads). He decided he must vote for Harry Reid because he is "good" and Sharron Angle is "bad". I couldn't even discuss any issues with him because he had no idea what I was talking about (he's not dumb btw he has an advanced math degree).

I am probably still too emotional over Angle's defeat but I am actually considering dropping my decades long friendship with this individual. It will cause him pain (especially considering it wouldn't shock me if he doesn't even know that Reid won the election)..but it's uninformed voters like himself that are causing me great pain and sadness. I have liberal friends who voted for Reid and I can understand why they did. So I dont think this has to do with ideology,,,I just can't stand people who form their political beliefs based on negative TV ads.
First off, there's nothing wrong with gambling and tv wrestling. Personally, I prefer to watch mixed martial arts, but those things are personal choices.

I based two of my votes on negative TV ads. One ad proclaimed some state office candidate a "criminal and a thief". I voted for the criminal and thief hoping he would steal on behalf of the voters rather than from the voters. Government dept being what it is, I figured I'd take a chance. The other negative ad that swayed me showed a county government candidate in what looked like a very unflattering drivers license photo. Since my drivers license photo is also unflattering, I felt bad for the guy and voted for him.

Anyway, if you don't like your friend's criteria for his voting choices, don't discuss them. Make it an off-limits topic. I have a long-time friend and I won't discuss with him why he's fascinated by dominatrices. I'm better off not knowing.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Basically I never really discusss politcxs with my firends and when we do we mostly see pretty much eye to eye which is why we are firends. I do have firneds who are opposite but politcs is not why we have the firendship really;its ohtert things i life we share. I wouold never end a freindship on politics and can't see it has anyone but a radical on any view or a person that just hates as part of his views on anyhthing in life. i have seen some of these and they are some of the omost unhappy people I have seen.Thinking it over I don't have one firend that the friendship is based at all on politcal views and I avoid radicals of nay view as they bore me.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:08 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I was all about reading your post, but I couldn't get past the first paragraph.

I'm a conservative, and people like Sharon Angle scare the holy hell out of me. What a freaking nutjob. She honestly wants a "second amendment solution" to congress, thats threatening open rebellion, and THIS is your ideal candidate?

She wants people to bring truck loads of chickens to the doctor office. Last I checked, a good chicken will bring in about 20 dollars per chicken. My grandfathers last hospital bill was over 30,000 dollars before medicare, thats a hell of a lot of chickens my friend.

Politics shouldn't end friendship, but stupidity does and should.

I despise a lot of what Democrats did, I find their solutions lacking and far from what was actually needed.

You may be a Republican, which means you are the party of Bush and Reagan, but you aren't a conservative.

I urge you to read this if you think you're a real conservative.

Conservatives, Take Back Your Party! « Government is Not Your Daddy

Being conservative doesn't mean you want oppressive military spending, endless wars for no reason on foreign soil without being attacked first, legislating morality and crack pot ideas.

Google "goldwater" my friend, learn what real conservatives looked like. The last real conservative President we had in this country was Eisenhower.

No it's the exact opposite. I am a conservative not a Republican (although I am a registered Republican). Sharron Angle herself is critical of the Republican party for their runaway spending and supporting bailouts like TARP. Goldwater would have approved of Angle not big spending establishment Republicans. BTW the "chicken lady" was not Sharron Angle it was her establishment primary competitor Sue Lowden...the Reid machine would have destroyed her as well.

Here's an update on my friend. Just as I expected I got a voicemail from him today that said "hey, do you happen to know who won the election?". I know this sounds strange but it's hard for me to be that angry at someone this over the top ignorant, I guess I'll stay his friend and talk about non-political subjects.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
No it's the exact opposite. I am a conservative not a Republican (although I am a registered Republican). Sharron Angle herself is critical of the Republican party for their runaway spending and supporting bailouts like TARP. Goldwater would have approved of Angle not big spending establishment Republicans. BTW the "chicken lady" was not Sharron Angle it was her establishment primary competitor Sue Lowden...the Reid machine would have destroyed her as well.

Here's an update on my friend. Just as I expected I got a voicemail from him today that said "hey, do you happen to know who won the election?". I know this sounds strange but it's hard for me to be that angry at someone this over the top ignorant, I guess I'll stay his friend and talk about non-political subjects.
Goldwater would never have supported her "second amendment solutions". Never.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:20 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
I have friends and family from all walks of political life. Over the years, some statements made by both right and left have left me stunned. But unless they really move to the extreme- and I mean extreme- I do not let it influence me.

Examples of the extreme might be: 1) Hitler was a misunderstood man who was enlightened and good or 2) North Korea has mastered the art of providing happiness to the populace. I could not deal with anyone who believes such malarky.

Anyway, the OP's friend sounds like Chauncey from 'Being There.'

Old 11-04-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Goldwater would never have supported her "second amendment solutions". Never.
On more subjects than not, Goldwater has more in common with Angle than establishment Republicans. Most of todays Rep politicians are FAR to the left of where Goldwater was, Look how Reps keep all the welfare state programs going strong for example.

They also have another thing in common...they were both destroyed by negative TV ads. The same people today who were brainwashed by Reid's TV ads calling Angle 'too extreme" would have voted for LBJ after seeing the mushroom cloud ads in 1964 if they were around. They would have been scared Goldwater was "too extreme". In reality it was LBJs social programs that were radical...the worst thing that ever happened to this country.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
First off, there's nothing wrong with gambling and tv wrestling. Personally, I prefer to watch mixed martial arts, but those things are personal choices.

I based two of my votes on negative TV ads. One ad proclaimed some state office candidate a "criminal and a thief". I voted for the criminal and thief hoping he would steal on behalf of the voters rather than from the voters. Government dept being what it is, I figured I'd take a chance. The other negative ad that swayed me showed a county government candidate in what looked like a very unflattering drivers license photo. Since my drivers license photo is also unflattering, I felt bad for the guy and voted for him.

Anyway, if you don't like your friend's criteria for his voting choices, don't discuss them. Make it an off-limits topic. I have a long-time friend and I won't discuss with him why he's fascinated by dominatrices. I'm better off not knowing.

I never said that there was anything wrong with those other subjects. In fact we both share an interest in sports betting. There is more to life than politics. It's just the way his political mind of mush was so easily influenced by TV ads that was offensive to me. There was no critical thinking used at all.

It sounds like me and your long time friend would get along, I share the same fascination and would love to discuss it with him.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
I am a conservative who studies and reads about politics for several hours each day. I have been following Sharron Angle for a long time and I am very sad that she lost the election. She was my ideal candidate...everything that I dreamed of.

I have a friend who never pays any attention to politics. His main hobbies are gambling, watching TV wrestling and soap opears. There can be major news events happening and he will have no idea they are taking place in his own little world. Anyway as a heavy TV watcher, he was heavily influenced by Harry Reid's anti-Angle commercials. He would recite them word for word (no wonder millions of dollars are spent on these ads). He decided he must vote for Harry Reid because he is "good" and Sharron Angle is "bad". I couldn't even discuss any issues with him because he had no idea what I was talking about (he's not dumb btw he has an advanced math degree).

I am probably still too emotional over Angle's defeat but I am actually considering dropping my decades long friendship with this individual. It will cause him pain (especially considering it wouldn't shock me if he doesn't even know that Reid won the election)..but it's uninformed voters like himself that are causing me great pain and sadness. I have liberal friends who voted for Reid and I can understand why they did. So I dont think this has to do with ideology,,,I just can't stand people who form their political beliefs based on negative TV ads.
Geez. End a friendship over politics! SMH...get some help..for real.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:23 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
I have always believed that true friendship endures in spite of differences. It’s easy to maintain a relationship with a like-minded person; but, in my opinion, it would be rather boring to only associate with those who share my political point of view. It’s just different strokes.

I think it’s rather arrogant to discount the opinions of others. Likewise, it’s annoying to have my opinion trivialized or ridiculed simply because I hold an opposing view. Unless factual data is being discussed, one opinion is just as relevant as another.

I’m a staunch anti-illegal, yet I have a close associate who totally disagrees with my stance. Granted, we have had a few heated discussions, but in the end, we simply agree to disagree, and move on. Mutual respect is the key. Like it or not, unlike facts, we are all entitled to our opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies