Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-04-2010, 03:32 PM
 
56,989 posts, read 35,133,295 times
Reputation: 18824

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
The extention of the Bush tax cuts for ALL Americans, not just the top earners, will help because people will have more money to invest into the economy.

If you are talking about old manufacturing jobs I believe they will never come back, nor should they in a free market world economy.
The first sentence is laughable. If the Bush Tax cuts worked, why did the economy take a dump in his last few months in office?

The second sentence might be the most un-American thing i've ever heard. People actually cheerleading the fact that manufacturing jobs are leaving the country....and having more allegiance to the "world economy" than the economy of their own country. Economic Traitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2010, 04:24 PM
 
10,854 posts, read 9,288,119 times
Reputation: 3122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Boy View Post
I'm not one of the 'wealthiest Americans' but I'd sorta like to keep as much of MY money as possible also.


Regards,
TB
Then I'm sure you won't mind as Corporate America outsources more jobs, and gives even smaller wage increases. After all they want to keep as much as their money as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2010, 04:35 PM
 
10,854 posts, read 9,288,119 times
Reputation: 3122
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
In other words, good ol' trickle down economics.
Trickle Down Economics is the Republican Party pissing on you and telling you it's raining.

Unless you've been under a rock for the last 30 years the income bracket experiencing the most growth is high wage income earners and investors. Middle class incomes have stagnated especially in the last ten years. In the last several years the "Trickle" has gone to places like India, Russia, China, Viet Nam. Malaysia, and Singapore, the United States, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2010, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,052 posts, read 84,349,532 times
Reputation: 27720
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Since Bush tax cuts didn't spear head the return of jobs back to the U.S, how do the newly installed House Majority plan to get the jobs back with their new version of tax cuts?
Spending cuts..not tax cuts and don't hold your breath about jobs "coming back" because they are gone for good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 05:39 AM
 
10,854 posts, read 9,288,119 times
Reputation: 3122
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Spending cuts..not tax cuts and don't hold your breath about jobs "coming back" because they are gone for good.
We FINALLY agree on something.

The key is NEW job creation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 06:05 AM
 
10,854 posts, read 9,288,119 times
Reputation: 3122
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The first sentence is laughable. If the Bush Tax cuts worked, why did the economy take a dump in his last few months in office?

The second sentence might be the most un-American thing i've ever heard. People actually cheerleading the fact that manufacturing jobs are leaving the country....and having more allegiance to the "world economy" than the economy of their own country. Economic Traitors.
The key to the American economy is new jobs through INNOVATION. The problem is we are NOT innovating either technically or scientifically right now.

The American workforce also needs to be re-educated. During the late 1970's to mid 1980's million of people got left behind when steel mills, machine tool shops, and other manufacturing related jobs left the Midwest. If this country is smart (Which I am beginning to have my doubts about) it will put forth the effort to re-train people with new skills that will allow them to be employable in other fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 06:28 AM
 
Location: 77441
3,160 posts, read 4,359,623 times
Reputation: 2314
As someone who is affected by this, Im estatic.
Im thinking a couple of weeks in Europe to celebrate...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 06:41 AM
 
35,016 posts, read 39,104,333 times
Reputation: 6195
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The key to the American economy is new jobs through INNOVATION. The problem is we are NOT innovating either technically or scientifically right now.

The American workforce also needs to be re-educated. During the late 1970's to mid 1980's million of people got left behind when steel mills, machine tool shops, and other manufacturing related jobs left the Midwest. If this country is smart (Which I am beginning to have my doubts about) it will put forth the effort to re-train people with new skills that will allow them to be employable in other fields.
"The programs that are supposed to pay for retraining of unemployed workers are crowded even though the Obama administration has raised the annual federal training budget by $200 million to $3.8 billion in 2010 and added a $4.5 billion infusion in extra training funds in the 2009 stimulus bill. President Obama has said he wants 'to fundamentally change our approach to unemployment in this country, so that it's no longer just a time to look for a new job, but is also a time to prepare yourself for a better job.'

"Unfortunately, those big dollar numbers have been no match for the dramatic increases in jobless who want retraining. The number of unemployed Americans has more than doubled in the past two years to 14.4 million. Under the normal budget, that leaves only about $250 per year in training funds per unemployed American. The one-time infusion of extra stimulus money added the equivalent of $312 or so per unemployed person, which is tiny when considering that one semester at a typical community college costs about $1,700 in tuition and books."

Jobless Overwhelm Retraining Programs - US News and World Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 06:45 AM
 
Location: Hoboken
19,890 posts, read 18,728,303 times
Reputation: 3146
Pretty much right away. Have you seen the latest jobs numbers? It looks like employers were anticipating a big Republican win!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 07:09 AM
 
3,562 posts, read 5,216,794 times
Reputation: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Since Bush tax cuts didn't spear head the return of jobs back to the U.S, how do the newly installed House Majority plan to get the jobs back with their new version of tax cuts?
Frankly, I think that not much will be done. Intentionally. I do believe that they will use that, more of the do nothing program, against Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top