Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 08:29 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Democrats. They had majority at that time
So Bush held a press conference where he jumped up and down and screamed about those Congressional Dems approving TARP and Auto Bailouts....and Hank Paulson was standing behind him, redfaced with a tear coming down his cheek because of his personal indignation at Dems saving Wall St. and the automakers?

Give me the keywords for Youtube so i can see that footage.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:44 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Yes, you are right about rap music coming from various areas. My point was that the whole gangsta rap movement was primarily coming from a few key places. When they were under attack for their lyrics, their defense was that the lyrics represented the reality of their lives. That reality flies in the face of the claims that life is qualitatively better for minorities in liberal states. As I said in my first post, I don't pretend that there are not problems in other areas.

As for my knowledge of the black experience across the country, you assume too much. My career choice has brought me in very close contact with the black, latino, asian, and white etc. communities, primarily of low socioeconomic status, in 37 states.
Yea, Two of those places being Houston and New Orleans. Ever heard of SUC (Screwed Up Click)? UGK? Master P? No Limit Records? Cash Money Records? Gangsta Rap was coming from everywhere. G Funk was primarily coming from LA... G Funk is not the only form of Gangsta Rap. Even then there's still G Funk coming out of the midwest. These rappers are from Detroit:

The vast majority of the stuff coming from the lower midwest (KC, SL, etc.) is Gangsta Rap. You didn't hear about the KC rapper Fat Tone who was accused of murdering Mac Dre back in 05?

Old 11-05-2010, 09:57 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
The Republicn Party's main problem with attracting minorities into the fold will always be the fact that minorities have more often than not been used as the scapegoat (affirmative action, illegal immigration, welfare, etc) in the quest to obtain the votes of poor/lower class/middle class Whites.

The Republican Party has spent a lot of time, money and energy creating a platform that vilifies minorities as taking what rightfully belongs to "them" (ie jobs and education via affirmative action) or draining resources (ie welfare, crime and illegal immigration).

It is difficult to cast a vote for candidates who represent a Party (or a majority of the members within the Party) that believes that people who "look like you" are the "problem".

Old 11-05-2010, 10:57 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Yea, Two of those places being Houston and New Orleans. Ever heard of SUC (Screwed Up Click)? UGK? Master P? No Limit Records? Cash Money Records? Gangsta Rap was coming from everywhere. G Funk was primarily coming from LA... G Funk is not the only form of Gangsta Rap. Even then there's still G Funk coming out of the midwest. These rappers are from Detroit:

The vast majority of the stuff coming from the lower midwest (KC, SL, etc.) is Gangsta Rap. You didn't hear about the KC rapper Fat Tone who was accused of murdering Mac Dre back in 05?
Stick with the point, which was not gangsta rap itself.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:52 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
All that hatred for California, just because it has its own mind, ts.
It is one or two decades ahead of most of the rest of the country, the future US will become more like California rather than the other way round.
It might even benefit from the Democratic trend there as most foreign investors and bright minority immigrants despise overly Christian and conservative settings, thus they are more likely to head for California and maybe New York.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:13 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,667,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The Republicn Party's main problem with attracting minorities into the fold will always be the fact that minorities have more often than not been used as the scapegoat (affirmative action, illegal immigration, welfare, etc) in the quest to obtain the votes of poor/lower class/middle class Whites.

The Republican Party has spent a lot of time, money and energy creating a platform that vilifies minorities as taking what rightfully belongs to "them" (ie jobs and education via affirmative action) or draining resources (ie welfare, crime and illegal immigration).

It is difficult to cast a vote for candidates who represent a Party (or a majority of the members within the Party) that believes that people who "look like you" are the "problem".
Let's look at what Harry Reid said. He was speaking of white Democrats because Dems would be the folks nominating a Dem candidate. He said they would accept Obama because he looks/acts more like them - light skin, no Negro dialect unless he wanted one. Further, I think you and I both know that those things, plus the fact he was raised mostly in a white household made whites, in this case White Dems, more trusting of him.

It is not only a Republican thing. It's a human thing, possibly inherent, to be more comfortable with those who look like you.

It's why groups like this exist National Black Republican Association | National Black Republican Association

Old 11-05-2010, 12:21 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,667,852 times
Quote:
I didn't say they weren't both attempting to, but McCain took it one step further and made his VP Sarah Palin. IDK who exactly I'm talking to here, but Sarah Palin wasn't exactly the most qualified person to be VP... she was mainly chosen because she was popular with the Republican party and she represented the Republican party's embracing of white women.
I don't remember Palin being popular, or even known to most before McCain selected her. He was targeting Hillary backers, IMO. Everyone has a target market.

The choice of Joe Biden represented the Democrat party's embracing of white males.

I see both parties doing the same things.

Initially Blacks were largely rejecting Obama because he wasn't black enough until they saw whites supporting him. That started a buzz, esp. after the Iowa primaries, because it meant he really had a chance with white support.

Quote:
I work to try to steer young black men and women towards business because that's where the strong and robust black middle class of the future lays.
Wait, isn't capitalism evil?

This is what Tim Scott, [black] Republican, successful businessman and newly-elected member of Congress from South Carolina said

"I think we have a responsibility to sell capitalism and entrepreneurship to folks in desperate straits"

Link

Old 11-11-2010, 01:38 AM

140 posts, read 231,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Don't tell that to Mr. Rubio you'll bust his bubble. He's a White Cuban. Like most Caribbean and Latin American countries the people are Latin America in culture but they can be White, Mestizo, Black or any combination of those put together. Most upper class people in these countries of European ancestry try very hard to maintain their “Whiteness” in their families.
I really don't think that Marco Rubio, an extremely successful, articulate, good-looking 39 year old, who just became the youngest U.S. senator will care very much if someone else considers him not to be white.

The fact is that Marco is clearly of pure European ancestry. One does not have to be a physiognomy expert to figure that one out. In other words, Marco like many Cubans is probably the grand child or great grandchild of immigrants from Europe, probably Asturias or Galicia. That makes him white.

Europeans born in Cuba don't automatically become non-white. In fact, a European can even be born in Africa or China and he will still be white.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:25 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayarena View Post
I really don't think that Marco Rubio, an extremely successful, articulate, good-looking 39 year old, who just became the youngest U.S. senator will care very much if someone else considers him not to be white.
From a political standpoint he'll care and hell care a lot. Every Republican presidential campaign since 1964 as been run on the Southern Strategy. The Southern Strategy is predicated on appealing to White Conservative Christian Americans and the values they espouse. Some of these people WILL NOT vote for a non-White American. A conservative presidential can't count on much support from the West Coast or Northeast. Conservative presidential candidates build there base in the South and Mountain West and then have to be able to appeal to voters in the Midwest to have a shot at the presidency.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:43 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
California went its own way - latimes.com

Maybe Marco Rubio can pull more Latinos into the Republican Party, but overall, it's going to be an uphill battle to make the Republican Party less white.
The problem with Republicans is that they make their appeal to Americans, regardless of gender, race or national origin. Dems, on the other hand, are intent on balkanizing the country by appealing to specific groups. To the extent that the Dems succeed we fracture as a nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies