Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 02:59 PM

487 posts, read 636,133 times

Advertisements

This guy is basically saying that any sort of Republican victory is only temporary because demographic trends show that minorities will become the majority within a few decades, making right wing victories all but impossible. That is, as long as the right wing exists in its current form.

Daily Kos: State of the Nation

I know, you think you’ve taken “your country back” with this election -- and of course you have always thought it was yours for the taking, cuz that’s what we white folks are bred to believe, that it’s ours, and how dare anyone else say otherwise -- but you are wrong. You have won a small battle in a larger war the meaning of which you do not remotely understand.
This isn’t hubris. It isn’t ideology. It is not wishful thinking.
It is math.
Not even advanced math. Just simple, basic, like
3rd grade math.
The kind of math that proves how your kind -- mostly older white folks beholden to an absurd, inaccurate, nostalgic fantasy of what America used to be like -- are dying.
You’re like the bad guy in every horror movie ever made, who gets shot five times, or stabbed ten, or blown up twice, and who will eventually pass -- even if it takes four sequels to make it happen -- but who in the meantime keeps coming back around, grabbing at our ankles as we walk by, we having been mistakenly convinced that you were finally dead this time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 03:21 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,134,548 times
I was just thinking that it probably couldn't be until at least 2020 (probably more like 2040), after all the old-fashioned folks born before about 1955 died off before we could ever see real change politically.

I didn't need to put a color (white) on it, but if the shoe fits.

Manhattan could be underwater, the Rocky Mtns could be green to the summit, gasoline could be $15 a gallon, unemployment could be 40% while CEO salaries could still be $20M, the last mountain lion could die off, oil spills could line the coasts, life expectancy from lack of healthcare could drop to 50, Las Vegas' population could drop to 500, housing values could revert to those of the 1970s, 50% of children could have debilitating allergies or asthma, the NHL could go defunct....

and these dinosaurs would still be ranting about their tax dollars, gay marriage and pot smoking!

So hopefully President Martinez in 2036 will lead with some perspective.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:44 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
This guy is basically saying that any sort of Republican victory is only temporary because demographic trends show that minorities will become the majority within a few decades, making right wing victories all but impossible. That is, as long as the right wing exists in its current form.

Daily Kos: State of the Nation

I know, you think you’ve taken “your country back” with this election -- and of course you have always thought it was yours for the taking, cuz that’s what we white folks are bred to believe, that it’s ours, and how dare anyone else say otherwise -- but you are wrong. You have won a small battle in a larger war the meaning of which you do not remotely understand.
This isn’t hubris. It isn’t ideology. It is not wishful thinking.
It is math.
Not even advanced math. Just simple, basic, like 3rd grade math.
The kind of math that proves how your kind -- mostly older white folks beholden to an absurd, inaccurate, nostalgic fantasy of what America used to be like -- are dying.
You’re like the bad guy in every horror movie ever made, who gets shot five times, or stabbed ten, or blown up twice, and who will eventually pass -- even if it takes four sequels to make it happen -- but who in the meantime keeps coming back around, grabbing at our ankles as we walk by, we having been mistakenly convinced that you were finally dead this time.
Well, I was thinking about this just today. I, a white guy, voted for Obama for four reasons. One, he would put a different face on American for the world to see. Two, his being elected would show conclusively that though all things might not be perfectly equal, anyone of any ethnic background can be elected President. Three, he is a great orator and could help give public confidence to the people during this period of economic hardship. And four, John McCain had Sarah Palin as a running mate.

Now as to "taken your country back", to me this refers to the people being in charge of the government rather than the other way around. Yes, "the people" are still mostly white people but I really don't think anyone should have to apologize for that. Contrary to what some folks (including apparently Tim Wise) may think, white folks aren't evil. The "monster" analogy really is not appropriate. But then, racist analogies usually aren't.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:49 PM

487 posts, read 636,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Two, his being elected would show conclusively that though all things might not be perfectly equal, anyone of any ethnic background can be elected President.
Wait so you admit you voted for him because he's black?

Old 11-04-2010, 03:57 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,120 times
Quote:
Wait so you admit you voted for him because he's black?
If a President, regardless of color, can prove to Americans that all things are possible regardless of ethnicty, then yes, that would have be one factor in my voting. If a white President can do that, that would be perfectly acceptable too.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:12 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,342 times
So typical and racist for the liberals to automatically assume that all minorities will vote Democrat. Republicans put quite a few minorities in to office last Tuesday. Of course, liberals will just denounce them as uncle toms, house negros, and other racial terms.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:32 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,528,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Well, I was thinking about this just today. I, a white guy, voted for Obama for four reasons. One, he would put a different face on American for the world to see. Two, his being elected would show conclusively that though all things might not be perfectly equal, anyone of any ethnic background can be elected President. Three, he is a great orator and could help give public confidence to the people during this period of economic hardship. And four, John McCain had Sarah Palin as a running mate.

Now as to "taken your country back", to me this refers to the people being in charge of the government rather than the other way around. Yes, "the people" are still mostly white people but I really don't think anyone should have to apologize for that. Contrary to what some folks (including apparently Tim Wise) may think, white folks aren't evil. The "monster" analogy really is not appropriate. But then, racist analogies usually aren't.
You know what ruin all that....the tea party. I have never felt the way I do about race in this country until the tea party. Anyone can see that this anger is not about taxes. Most of these people are on SS and Medicare so how can they be mad about taxes? I remember feeling like we had turned a big corner that first month after the inauguration and then out of nowhere hate came blazing everywhere. The tea party ruined any dream of post racial America.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:47 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,929,154 times
Turncoats as you have described can be part of any group including the democrats and libertarians. I don't think they are racist terms. I've heard black people use those terms. Therefore, it's not racist. Thanks for trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
uncle toms, house negros, and other racial terms.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:50 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
You know what ruin all that....the tea party. I have never felt the way I do about race in this country until the tea party. Anyone can see that this anger is not about taxes. Most of these people are on SS and Medicare so how can they be mad about taxes? I remember feeling like we had turned a big corner that first month after the inauguration and then out of nowhere hate came blazing everywhere. The tea party ruined any dream of post racial America.
The Tea Party started when George Bush was president. Obama wasn't even running yet. But you're right, they started because of race. LMFAO.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:51 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,990,710 times
Quote:
LOL, so basically anybody who votes conservative/GOP/right must be white? Somebody forgot to tell the Asians and Hispanics this.

Political conservatism/liberalism isn't a race, btw.

Then again, this article came from the Daily Kos. Nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies