Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 09:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,515,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
I don't think anyone will argue that there is a certain amount of fraud in the welfare/food stamp system.
That being said, not EVERYONE who gets food stamps or welfare is stealing or certainly as suggested by various posters on CD ' living above their means'.

I hope those who advocate getting rid of ALL programs to help the poor or sick have to walk in the shoes of these people at least once before casting judgements.
I also wish that these people realize that the perpetrators of the much bigger theft of their tax dollars LOVES that they can get you focus on "the poor" so they can continue stealing right under your noses.
So we can all admit there is fraud.

I believe every welfare mother that goes on having more babies while on welfare is a fraud. Obviously they are able-bodied and could work for a living. Welfare becomes a lifestyle choice when these people realize that more babies means more welfare handouts.

And able bodied person on government handouts is a fraud. That includes a whole lot of people on SSDI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 09:22 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,794,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
LOL what a joke if I've ever heard one.

My half sister is on food stamps & instead of buying food for her family she sells the stamps for pennies on the dollar just to buy booze & cigarettes.

Maybe everybody should get on food stamps & live off of the government huh?
East Texas Food Bank | SNAP/Food Stamps (http://www.easttexasfoodbank.org/Programs/FoodStamps.html - broken link)

Food stamps in Texas are provided through the Lone Star Card. How does she transfer these credits to someone else? Shops for them or something?

How very entrepreneurial.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:29 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,731,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So we can all admit there is fraud.

I believe every welfare mother that goes on having more babies while on welfare is a fraud. Obviously they are able-bodied and could work for a living. Welfare becomes a lifestyle choice when these people realize that more babies means more welfare handouts.

And able bodied person on government handouts is a fraud. That includes a whole lot of people on SSDI.
As usual you only read the first line of my post & ignored the rest.

Why don't you at the very least, focus some of the anger you have towards those less fortunate & try to realize that YOU are putting your attention to the LEAST of the thieves in this country.
No matter how much welfare fraud goes on, it doesn't BEGIN to touch the REAL theft in this country.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:24 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,127,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I also think there are posters on this board who don't realize that many working people still qualify for food stamps, mostly minimum wage workers. I also suspect that these same posters are the 'take any job' posters. I took 'any job' and am only $100 above the food stamp limit. If I fall below full-time, I am eligible. You can be damn sure I'll file for FS if that happens.
Yeah. I was going to mention that too. There was quite a scandal here in California when WalMart was passing out information to file for FS and Medicaid to their employees when they hired them. Evidentally you can work for WalMart and still collect aid.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:31 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,364,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Yeah. I was going to mention that too. There was quite a scandal here in California when WalMart was passing out information to file for FS and Medicaid to their employees when they hired them. Evidentally you can work for WalMart and still collect aid.
Wal Mart and many other retailers.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:00 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,693,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
It was by surprise that I learned you could get food stamps and work , your income ( in my state ) needed to be below $ 1,100 a month. So the way things are going and the lack of full time jobs makes ALOT of people eligible for food stamps .

Expect this to go higher when your job goes to India !

Old 11-07-2010, 03:03 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,536,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
And shouldn't we be proud of the fact that few Americans die of hunger and live in squalor? Or would you prefer that we go back to this?...

Apparently, they dont care. Useless wars depleting trillions of dollars, while poor people with no health insurance can die in the streets.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:19 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,731,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Apparently, they dont care. Useless wars depleting trillions of dollars, while poor people with no health insurance can die in the streets.

They don't.
But in all fairness to some, they hear so much about food stamp theft on TV that they believe it is THE reason for the deficits this country has.

The small amount of fraud that goes on in the welfare system doesn't even compare to the REAL theft that goes on with our tax dollars in this country! It shouldn't be an issue BEFORE focusing on just where our taxes are being spent.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:21 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,090,252 times
The powers that be are either very smart or a lot of people are very foolish. They have actually figured out how to trash the economy so that they can have 3 multi million dollar homes, instead of one, get the taxpayers to pay for it, figure out how to get millions in bonuses for trashing our lives, and STILL have people direct their anger at someone getting food stamps after the powers that be cost them their jobs and homes. Talk about sheep...wow.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:34 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,536,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
The powers that be are either very smart or a lot of people are very foolish. They have actually figured out how to trash the economy so that they can have 3 multi million dollar homes, instead of one, get the taxpayers to pay for it, figure out how to get millions in bonuses for trashing our lives, and STILL have people direct their anger at someone getting food stamps after the powers that be cost them their jobs and homes. Talk about sheep...wow.
Exactly. Id rather help a single Mom with two hungry kids so she can put food on the table while working for low wages.

That rather than live in a society where mega-rich David Beckham celebrity sells his name/ license to sell brand -name trash at Wal-mart. Miley Cyrus...etc....etc.... If thats the achievement of capitalism its sickening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies