Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 05:46 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hippie Lady View Post
What percentage of the Agricultural Subsidy Bill does "food stamps" comprise? I heard it was 20%. The other 80% goes to BIG BUSINESS land owners who are paid to grow/not grow food on their land! That means they get the "dough", from us tax-payers, even for doing NOTHING. Have you seen the milk, etc. that is destroyed instead of going to the Jesus Houses, etc. to be fed to people?

Get real! Not all poor people go for free anything. There are plenty of needy people who do without, eating without real nourishment to the body. Would you really pick out one child in a group to tell them they are nothing, just because they are poor and hungry. Who will you choose first to say to them that they should be the one to go hungry because there's no food in the house? Some people don't have a job that even allows them to live in humble means. Of course, I guess it's their own fault! Some people are not smart enough to either take care of themselves, little on their offsprings. Who's at fault? Lousy education, maybe? Lousy opportunity? Lousy neighborhood?

Try Googling: "Entitlements for the rich" and do some reading on subsidies for other than the "poor", lazy, hand extended Americans on this, the greatest country in the entire world!

But, it's easier to listen to "entitlements" going to the poor, non-tax-paying citizens of this nation instead of studying where your money really goes. I don't know of any little farmer getting any subsidy of any kind. I personally know people who actually do go hungry instead of asking for food.

I've heard that in India ( a democracy country) that women stand on the hotel steps, with starving babies in their arms, begging foreign business travelers to please give them money. How sad. I also heard that a truck goes around at night, picking up dead, starved bodies off the streets.

Of course that could never happen here in America. Seems like there's people out there who want us Americans to take down one another so they can reap the spoils. Is that what's happened to other powerful nations? Wars of all kind have been going on since the beginning of time.

Anybody from India out there in America? I'd rather spend 30 minutes on studying the history of India, spice trade years, etc. than watching the news spinners on tv.
Yes, women with babies routinely beg outside hotels, restaurants, and even walk around to beg at cars stopped in traffic. There are also children beggars ... lots of little kids running around during what should be school hours instead begging. The saddest part of that? I was told "do not give them money" and when I asked why, they said, "the women and kids never get to keep the money; they are put on the streets by 'beggar masters' and they have to turn it over to the 'beggar master' they are assigned to. In India some 'beggar masters' have actually disfigured their beggars to make them look more pathetic.

As for the truck that goes around at night picking up dead bodies ... I haven't seen it, but I will investigate it when I go back. I am going back very soon actually.

Here is what I saw late at night in the streets of Mumbai: loads and loads of people ... men women children ... laid down sleeping on the sidewalks. They are called "pavement dwellers." There are very many of them in Mumbai. Actually they are "luckier" than the poor in less urban settings because the poor rarely startve to death in Mumbai as happens in other areas of India, there is plenty of garbage at all the restaurants the rich and upper middle class go to. Please note that the people who get the jobs of "offshore outsourcing" are without fail the sons and daughters of the rich and upper middle class. These poor people get NOTHING ... no social safety net either. Heck, most of them don't even have access to toilets, water, and electricity, even if they have "homes" (aka slums):

India: Land of many cell phones, fewer toilets - BusinessWeek

The most surreal thing I saw in Mumbai, India was late at night I was travelling on the road and we drove past a HUGE Rolls Royce dealership. Right outside the dealership, on its big, broad sidewalks, there were hundreds of homeless people laying there sleeping. I thought about asking my chauffeur to stop the car so I could take pics of this unbelievable display of filthy rich vs. poor (because I thought it was so unbelievable), but thought better of violating those poor people's privacy.

Unfortunately, it could happen here in America if certain factions get their way. I do not condone laziness or supporting people who won't work, but I think a basic social safety net should be established and for those that sell their benefit cards, etc., then they should be banned from getting any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 05:51 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hippie Lady View Post
Which is worse? A wealthy "entitled" person taking advantage of the system or a poor person taking advantage of the system. Why are they not frowned upon as much? Are they a better person because they know how to work the system, making tons of dollars, living in a multi-million dollar home and claiming only about $50,000 a year income? Get real!

Tell me the system isn't broken and people aren't facing intimidation from the implied wealthy!

I had lived in Seattle for 10 years, returned to my home state, and was in line at the drug store with a long-time friend of mine, on a cold day. The line was long, people waiting for prescriptions to be turned in and filled. A woman wearing a long furry, beautiful coat and fancy hair-do bypassed everyone and went straight to the front of about 10 people waiting in line. Nobody said anything! I could not stand it and started grumbling about the unfairness. Finally 3 of us banded together, confronted her, and she quietly went to the back of the line where she belonged!

My friend made the statement afterwards, in the woman's defense: "Well, she looked like she was well off, so they should not have said anything to her."

And I thought I knew my friend! Why would she say such a thing? She's been money poor all her life.
We've been subtly brainwashed for a long time in this society.

Read this:

A Note of Appreciation from the Rich

Old 11-09-2010, 07:53 PM

62 posts, read 47,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Last I checked, in order to receive Food Stamps, the Gov't checked your bank accounts , your property ( cars ) and your income.

So if your income is so low that you need food stamps , then you have little in the bank and your car is a beat up older model then how do you drive and afford a new Cadillac ?

Something illegal is being done here , your Cadillac was bought from CASH funds ( only likely scenario left ) and how did you get all that cash to afford a $38,000 car ??. ( Base Price )

Take all the fraud proven EBT people , suspend their EBT's and give that money to the Unemployment Compensation FUND . Wow , think how much you could pump into that UC Fund !
Nothing these people own is actually in these peoples names. They put it in an uncles name or so forth. Nothing new here I knew people 25 years ago doing this.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:04 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Foodstamps are based on INCOME, and LIQUID assets under a set limit. Liquid assets are cash in the bank etc, a car is not considered a liquid asset.

You may be confusing food stamps eligibility with cash assistance etc.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:13 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
EB.jpmorgan.com will explain to how the cards work. It is federal, and should not cover lottery tickets. Rest assured that big banks are monitoring the program now, so we can all see the homeless living in the streets all the more, since this is such a "great country".

Banks are fazing out all the programs, so maybe you should focus your hate on Tim Geithner, the Fed and JPMorgan Chase. Read a book on it. You may be surprised. Or maybe its more fun to malign people for buying milk and bread.
Why do you keep pushing this particular barrow anyway?

JP Morgan handles the EBT cards in a partnership with any states that use their service - they do NOT decide WHO qualifies for FoodStamps etc - get a grip already.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:24 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,082 times
It is so easy to lie about your income. You have a single mom with 3 kids working 30 hours a week. She gets food stamps, free day care, WIC and who knows what else. She just doesn't tell anyone about her boyfriend who lives with her and has a pretty good job. So at tax time she will get about a $6000 tax refund from a job where she's made about $10,000 for the yr and has paid next to nothing in taxes. Now this will show you how dumb I am. She asked me if I signed up for toys for tots or the angle tree yet for Christmas. I told her no not yet I didn't see the tree up yet. She goes on to tell me what she asked for on the list for her kids. I am thinking we are talking about GIVING and she is talking about TAKING. She dresses nicer than me and her and the boy friend make about the same as my hubby and me. She gets all this extra help and big tax refund and that is still not enough. I felt really stupid like I would be the one buying stuff for her kids for Christmas too.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:38 PM

785 posts, read 619,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
Which is worse? A wealthy "entitled" person taking advantage of the system or a poor person taking advantage of the system. Why are they not frowned upon as much? Are they a better person because they know how to work the system, making tons of dollars, living in a multi-million dollar home and claiming only about $50,000 a year income? Get real!

OK, Old Hippie Lady, given your thoughts above, which I am not disagreeing with, by the way....what are your thoughts on Charlie Rangel, the Democrat from NYC? He took rent controlled apartments meant for the poor and used them for himself, didn't declare a million dollars in his bank account,and in short, has done every single thing you just condemnded above.

So....what are your thoughts on him?
It's so funny, I never got an answer to this one!

Old 11-09-2010, 09:53 PM

550 posts, read 1,355,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
It is so easy to lie about your income. You have a single mom with 3 kids working 30 hours a week. She gets food stamps, free day care, WIC and who knows what else. She just doesn't tell anyone about her boyfriend who lives with her and has a pretty good job. So at tax time she will get about a $6000 tax refund from a job where she's made about $10,000 for the yr and has paid next to nothing in taxes. Now this will show you how dumb I am. She asked me if I signed up for toys for tots or the angle tree yet for Christmas. I told her no not yet I didn't see the tree up yet. She goes on to tell me what she asked for on the list for her kids. I am thinking we are talking about GIVING and she is talking about TAKING. She dresses nicer than me and her and the boy friend make about the same as my hubby and me. She gets all this extra help and big tax refund and that is still not enough. I felt really stupid like I would be the one buying stuff for her kids for Christmas too.
I know many single mothers who never marry their boyfriends just for the tax benefit and welfare for single poor mothers. Many of them get paid under the table at beauty salons. They make close to $30k/year tax free while living on welfare.

Sickening how this is a lifestyle for some.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:57 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
This is what the right wing is all about: selfishness.

I'm in the life boat. Too bad for you.
I'm a conservative and I donate $ to my state mobile food pantry as well as donating canned foodstuffs and freshly harvested deer meat.

So, do tell, how is that "selfish"? Must everything originate from a government program in your eyes to be unselfish?

Old 11-10-2010, 12:08 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
The powers that be are either very smart or a lot of people are very foolish. They have actually figured out how to trash the economy so that they can have 3 multi million dollar homes, instead of one, get the taxpayers to pay for it, figure out how to get millions in bonuses for trashing our lives, and STILL have people direct their anger at someone getting food stamps after the powers that be cost them their jobs and homes. Talk about sheep...wow.
It doesn't have to be an either/or. I am angry at aspects of the food stamp program (which is why I started this thread) AND angry when the "too big to fail" banks and business's were bailed out. I was strongly against TARP. I am firmly against bailouts that transfers money from the common taxpayer to the elite.

Ironically it's the liberals who are the ones who favor the bailouts that rape and pillage the middle class and give the money to the "rich" they claim they hate so much. It's liberals who are so trusting when the gov. says we need to do it to save the economy from falling off a cliff...liberals fall for this line hook line and sinker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies