Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 10:59 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Have to get north of Redding to stop eyes from burning and coughing due to the heavy pollution.
If that's really true, I hope you're seeing a respiratory doctor, because it's not normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 11:04 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If that's really true, I hope you're seeing a respiratory doctor, because it's not normal.

No medical problems, much less respiratory. Not even allergies! Until I descend into the filth and smog of what was once a glorious land. Is totally normal for a clean lung to revolt against such an assault. And is an environmental tragedy and health hazard for sure. Where is the EPA on this?

Old 11-06-2010, 11:16 AM

313 posts, read 596,531 times
Meanwhile, Americans continue to leave California, on net.

It's a meaningless poll. Most people would love to live in Hawaii or Manhattan, too, if you don't have to point out how much it costs.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:19 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I take this as excellent news. Now maybe all those California folks will stop coming to Texas.
And maybe all those folks from other states running to Texas will go to California instead.

Texas is bad..stay away.
California is good...go move there.

In terms of police state, left or right, how do the two compare?

Old 11-06-2010, 11:24 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Notably, Texas fell from 4th to 8th place. I'm often lectured by conservatives on this forum that California should be more like Texas. If Texas is so great, why is it #8 on the list?
Serious correlation problems with the premise for this question.

Conservatives on this political forum are certainly lecturing based on the state's political leanings, the people in that survey are far more likely to be thinking about weather, beaches, culture, etc.

I would suggest you go to the travel forum and pose the same question, might get answers more aligned with the poll you mention.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:45 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Serious correlation problems with the premise for this question.

Conservatives on this political forum are certainly lecturing based on the state's political leanings, the people in that survey are far more likely to be thinking about weather, beaches, culture, etc.

I would suggest you go to the travel forum and pose the same question, might get answers more aligned with the poll you mention.
The point in posting it here is to make it clear that California is still a popular destination, regardless of how much it's trashed (for whatever reasons) by political conservatives.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:02 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Fair enough, but pointing at one as a reason to refute another when the two are completely unrelated makes no sense.

Personally I'd love to live in Cali, and don't give a **** about the politics of it.

Texas? Maybe Austin but I've not been to as many other places so must reserve judgement.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:32 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Harris Interactive: Harris Polls > California, Hawaii and Florida the States Where the Most People Would Like to Live

Notably, Texas fell from 4th to 8th place. I'm often lectured by conservatives on this forum that California should be more like Texas. If Texas is so great, why is it #8 on the list?
If I were rich and money were not an issue, I would move to California in a NY minute! It is, by far, the best place in the USA to live if not the entire world. Natural beauty, recreation and great weather all year. The only reason we don't live there is because it cost too damn much.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
People in the east move west and peope in the west move east. Natural phenomenom.

Please don't imply California politics is part of the desire to live in CA if that is your intention.

CA is a beautiful place and more of a concept than reality to most people from away.

Current socio-politics makes CA unlivable but someday when sanity returns, the part of CA that didn't fall into the sea will be a popular destination.
I think they call that part Nevada

Old 11-06-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Geography and climate. Nothing more, nothing less
Yes but that is a lot. Weather is a top factor with many people if they have a choice on where to live. For the most part, people want to live in places that are not cold or too cold in the winter. They also do not like it to be too hot or humid in the summer BUT people will take hot and humid over cold given that choice (which is why Florida is popular). California is really the only place where they do not have either too cold, too hot or humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies