Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:57 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times

Advertisements

Is this "sacrifice my life for the sake of yet another child to be brought into the world, motherless" supposed to be a virtuous act or something? What if the woman in question were to have already had three kids who depended on her as their mother - should they just be 'praising God' that their mother added to the brood and by doing so also checked out from her responsibility to actually parent those kids?

This is nonsense. I support her right to choose - every woman has the right to make her own choices - I just don't see the "virtue" of her giving life to a child she full well knows she can't raise. Infertile for 13 years? If that's not 'a sign from God' that one should not conceive, then I don't know what is. With the 100s of 1,000s of unwanted children in this country alone, why can't infertile couples open their hearts to those unwanted souls instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 02:02 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Just like Steel Magnolias.
According to the Mail, Blanks and her partner, Gary Thomas, tried for 13 years to conceive a child. Their joy over Blanks becoming pregnant was crushed when doctors told her that her kidneys were failing.

Her only hope of survival, they said, was aborting the pregnancy. Blanks' mother, Sallie Blanks, tells the Mail that was never an option.
Woman Told to Abort Pregnancy or Die Chooses Death - ParentDish
Having "tried to conceive" for more than 13 years, wouldn't it be ironic if some medication she had taken, trying to get pregnant, ruined her kidneys?

I wonder if anyone consulted the father since he is now going to have to raise a child alone. As usual, the men have no say in the matter.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-05-2010, 02:12 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Having "tried to conceive" for more than 13 years, wouldn't it be ironic if some medication she had taken, trying to get pregnant, ruined her kidneys?

I wonder if anyone consulted the father since he is now going to have to raise a child alone. As usual, the men have no say in the matter.

20yrsinBranson
From the comments section below the article ...........

1 i am not alone to raise my child, i have many close family members around me who are more than willing to help all the way, 2 my partner ( donna) did not know she would die from the pregnancy, quite the reverse she thought she was getting a transplant and lead as normal life as possible and could be just another mother like everyone else. although this did not happen her son will know the truth of how his mother battled through so much to give him a life, of which i and the family around him will certainly make sure he has.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:17 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,724 times
If you are that ill, and could be dying, then why bring a child to this Earth, in the first place.
Her choice to not kill her child to save herself, bad choice to have a child in the first place, knowing that you will not be there to raise it...

Old 11-05-2010, 02:26 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,724 times
I can see how this one might be a tough call to make.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:37 PM

14,482 posts, read 11,278,588 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Is this "sacrifice my life for the sake of yet another child to be brought into the world, motherless" supposed to be a virtuous act or something? What if the woman in question were to have already had three kids who depended on her as their mother - should they just be 'praising God' that their mother added to the brood and by doing so also checked out from her responsibility to actually parent those kids?
"Checked out from her responsibility" by dying. Now I've heard everything!

Quote:
This is nonsense. I support her right to choose - every woman has the right to make her own choices - I just don't see the "virtue" of her giving life to a child she full well knows she can't raise. Infertile for 13 years? If that's not 'a sign from God' that one should not conceive, then I don't know what is. With the 100s of 1,000s of unwanted children in this country alone, why can't infertile couples open their hearts to those unwanted souls instead?
Are you an infertile woman?

Old 11-05-2010, 02:44 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
What a preposterous statement. Who are you to make this judgement?
With all the Pro-Lifers making judgment calls about other women's choices I feel I, too, have the the right to weigh in on any and all matters of choice like they do. I can call what she did selfish but I sure wouldn't fight to take that choice away from her.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:30 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
If you are that ill, and could be dying, then why bring a child to this Earth, in the first place.
Her choice to not kill her child to save herself, bad choice to have a child in the first place, knowing that you will not be there to raise it...
Not necessarily. First of all, none of us can predict how long we will be around to raise children. I can't judge this woman's decision because I have never given birth to anything other than some good ideas. I don't see this choice as necessarily problematic.

Giving birth while knowing you won't be around for your child's adulthood is not necessarily a bad thing, or even necessarily harmful to the child IF that child is born into a supportive immediate and extended family. I have family members and friends who have lost one or both parents at an early age, and "The Village" stepped in and saw that those kids were loved, taught, and raised to be honest, productive adults. Aunts, uncles, older cousins, church members, and long-time friends of the families stepped in and loved and raised those kids to be the best that they could be.

Now in their 20s and 30s, none of them appears to be maladjusted. They have come to know the kind of parents they had through those who know the parents well and cared enough to make sure that these kids were loved.

The way I see it, this could be a Win-Win. The mother was going to die anyway, and now the child has a shot at a good life.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:46 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs1987 View Post
It was once written that there is no greater love than to give ones life up for the sake of another.

I guess in modern times to people like Back from NE, there is no greater love than to love ones own self more than any other.
Until you face a similar choice you'd have a better shot at appearing intelligent if you kept quiet.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:59 PM

95 posts, read 141,163 times
She got medical advice from Doctors. They call it a medical "practice" for a reason. They don't have all the answers in reproduction. If you have been around long enough you may know first hand.

It was her decision to give life, or take it. What would you give up for your child?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies