Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 07:01 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,203,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Thank you. I appreciate the reply. As I have said , I have not followed the issue and am unaware of a lot of the particulars.
Really? It's quite a story and like all good paranoid tales it'll probably never die. I don't know if there's a summary or a timeline anywhere of all the ins and outs and the delightfully slimy cast of characters, but you'll find hours of entertainment by googling "obama" "birth certificate".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 07:04 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,496,495 times
Quote:
Muslims do not believe in Christ hence they do not use CHRISTian names.
Once again, chum, there are no "Christian names." As for "believing in" Christ, it depends on what you mean by "believing in" but I won't derail on that account.

Quote:
Quote:
We are proud to offer the web's largest collection of muslim baby names (islamic names)
i would think they would know a little more about it than you.
They are entitled to be as ridiculous about names on the Muslim side as some folks are on the Christian side, but I am not obliged to pretend that an Arabic name does not have the same meaning to an Arab Muslim, an Arab Christian, and an Arab atheist.

Some names are more popular with Muslims, no doubt, for historical or other reasons, but that is hardly a reason for any sane Christian to recoil from them.

Quote:
"Selecting a Christian name or a Bible name for your baby is an important decision for parents. The chosen Christian name or Bible name can affect the child's perception of itself and of others. It reflects both the beliefs and the culture of the parents"
One stupid quote from a Muslim guide, one stupid quote from a Christian guide. Hey, at least you're balanced.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:07 PM

59,291 posts, read 27,456,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
During high school, Barack chose to go by the nickname 'Barry'. Many young people experiment with changing their names to try to form their own identity. I changed the spelling of my name from Jill to Jyl, to distinguish myself from 2 friends who were also named Jill.

But instead of simply accepting it as a childhood identity experiment, those who hate him because he's black (and let's be honest, those people do exist, even if everyone who disagrees with his policies don't fall into that category), take great joy in using 'Barry' as an attempt to insult him for some twisted reason.

Soetoro is his step-father's last name, though President Obama was never legally adopted, nor did he take that name as his own. But since his step-father was a Muslim, tagging President Obama with Mr. Soetoro's last name allows the racist haters to imply that President Obama is a Muslim.

It's a sick, twisted way of being disrespectful, dishonest and hateful towards our President. Period.
Thank you. I appreciate the info.

Your last sentance is a thing of the times. I look at how Judge Bork was "disrepected'". hence the term "Morked". I remember John Tower asking, "what office do I go to to regain my reputation".

And I can always bring up President Bush and the "sick, twisted way of being disrespectful, dishonest and hateful towards our President".

If one side is going to dish it out, they have to be able to take it.

I wish it didn't happen at all to either side.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
During high school, Barack chose to go by the nickname 'Barry'. Many young people experiment with changing their names to try to form their own identity. I changed the spelling of my name from Jill to Jyl, to distinguish myself from 2 friends who were also named Jill.

But instead of simply accepting it as a childhood identity experiment, those who hate him because he's black (and let's be honest, those people do exist, even if everyone who disagrees with his policies don't fall into that category), take great joy in using 'Barry' as an attempt to insult him for some twisted reason.

Soetoro is his step-father's last name, though President Obama was never legally adopted, nor did he take that name as his own. But since his step-father was a Muslim, tagging President Obama with Mr. Soetoro's last name allows the racist haters to imply that President Obama is a Muslim.

It's a sick, twisted way of being disrespectful, dishonest and hateful towards our President. Period.
Thank you for the info. I appreciate it.

However I have to reply to your last sentence.

I wish that type of thing didn't happen either. However, if you (not you personaly) can't take it, don't dish it out.

Remember Judge Bork? "In both popular and right-wing parlance, "borking" now means to vilify and defame".

How about John Tower? "What office do I go to to get my name back".

And there is always President Bush and the " sick, twisted way of being disrespectful, dishonest and hateful towards our President. Period".

I wish both side would be more civil.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:20 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,451,098 times
Quote:

And I can always bring up President Bush and the "sick, twisted way of being disrespectful, dishonest and hateful towards our President".

If one side is going to dish it out, they have to be able to take it.

I wish it didn't happen at all to either side.
Sorry, not the same.

That doesn't mean that people using names such as 'Shrub' weren't intentionally disrespectful of then-President Bush. It was disrespectful.

But it wasn't a sick way of being dishonest about his background.

The equivalent nickname for Barack Obama to 'Shrub' for Bush would be, say, 'Bambi'. That would be an example of a way of disrespecting President Obama, but does not bear the connotation that the user is a hateful racist who intends to misrepresent something significant about the President.

I wish neither side did it, too. But in this case, Barry Soetoro /= Shrub.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Sorry, not the same.

That doesn't mean that people using names such as 'Shrub' weren't intentionally disrespectful of then-President Bush. It was disrespectful.

The equivalent nickname for Barack Obama to 'Shrub' for Bush would be, say, 'Bambi'. That would be an example of a way of disrespecting President Obama, but does not bear the connotation that the user is a hateful racist who intends to misrepresent something significant about the President.

Then you haven't read what has been posted about Bush.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:35 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,025,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Once again, chum, there are no "Christian names." As for "believing in" Christ, it depends on what you mean by "believing in" but I won't derail on that account.
Matthew, Mark, Luke, & John?

Jesus (Hay-sus)?

Joseph?

Mary?

What ever dude...

Old 11-06-2010, 07:42 PM

7,188 posts, read 4,777,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
This makes me sick to my stomach & pisses me off at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCAffMSWSzY

We are up to our eyeballs in debt, people need jobs, tons of real problems and you are "concerned" about STUPID crap like this.

I guess you didn't get the MEMO: it's irrelevant, it's not helpful and serious people don't give a rat's behind anymore.

Get with the program and get current on issues that are important right now.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:46 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,507,656 times
Quote:
Sorry, not the same.

When Barry Became Barack - Newsweek

As far as Soetoro goes, the only disrespect that could come from that, considering his mother was married to him for 15 years, would be that he was a capitalist and more like a "Sunday morning" Muslim.

Unless of of course you're just obtusely sensitive to anything you're not familiar with.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:52 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,330,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Matthew, Mark, Luke, & John?

Jesus (Hay-sus)?

Joseph?

Mary?

What ever dude...
My name is Christopher and I'm not a Christian...just sayin'

And, I listened to about 3 minutes of your original video and heard Obama talking a lot ABOUT Islam but didn't hear him say anything about being Muslim. Since I don't really like Obama and don't care to listen to another 7 minutes of him speaking, can you point me to the exact moments where he 'admits he is a Muslim'?

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies