Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I have no problem talking to Republicans that are wealthy. I understand why they vote Republican. They will get to keep 3% more of their money unless the Bush tax cuts are extended. It does not do any good trying to convince a greedy person to give up some of their money.

But how do you talk to people who vote directly against their own interest by voting Republicans, 98% of us.

The inclination is just to call them stupid. That really gets you know where...you are elitist if you call a stupid person stupid. How do you overcome the sheer amount of disinformation they receive from Limbaugh and Fox every single day. The wealthy just have a much better propaganda machine. Information is power and they control it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I'm sorry but anyone who places that much stock in what Beck and Limbaugh say are not interested in having a discussion or opening their mind to you. They are not stupid, they know it's misinformation but they don't care. They repeat the same lies over and over again, no matter how many times you present the facts. They will call you a liar. They wil lie about the president and call him a liar in the same sentence.

They believe that they are right about everything (just read the threads on the forum). They don't believe in compromise or debate with anyone who does not think exactly the way they do. This is evident with what we've been hearing lately from Republican Congress men/women.

They believe that the majority of the country thinks like them and that everyone else is on the fringe. Although this is not true, even if it were, it still doesn't justify the spreading of lies and smear campaigns that have become commonplace among the far right. At one time the majority of Germany was Nazis. With all of that said, there are Republicans that are capable of holding an intelligent conversation or debate but the far right Fox News cronies are a lost cause.
you guys make a lot of assumptions that are just not true. you think that conservative talk radio or fox news are the only places us conservatives get our information from, and that is flat wrong. you also think that we somehow defend bush and republican spending in the first 8 years of this century, but you forget the spending that democrats have done for the last four years.

the real truth lies in the middle. remember that marco rubio, a conservative, blamed BOTH parties for excessive spending, which is in fact the real truth.

as for taxes, understand that even us middle class republicans want them kept low on the rich. why? because when you raise taxes on the rich, they push that tax burden on everyone else through higher prices for EVERYTHING we buy. that or they cut expenses at the businesses they own, usually by cutting the number of employees. either way the middle and lower classes are the ones that suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 08:45 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I see no need to talk to Republicans when there are millions of Democrats and independents to choose from. I respect that Republicans have a different philosophy about politics and how society should operate, but that doesn't mean I have to be friends with them.
This is exactly the way I feel about democrats.

However, I find liberals to be very socially irritating people from a variety of standpoints-

1. They ALWAYS want YOU to know thier political views. Socially, who gives a crap? If I am out to dinner or on the golf course, the best way to **** me off is to discuss politics. Shut the hell up and pay attention to life.

2. They are CHEAP to the point of being embarassing. You have to cover thier tips (and many times thier meals/drinks) as they are as tight as a drum. I can't say how many times I have seen liberals stiff hard working waitresses or beverage girls to save a few pennies. Watch how much liberals tip waitresses and cab drivers- it is funny as hell. I ALWAYS have to cover rounds of golf (when on neutral public courses) or pay for drinks for these cheap SOBs.

3. They are unhappy people. I cannot say that I have ever encountered a happy liberal. My view of liberals when I was a kid was the hippies. They were pretty cool and low key (except a riot here and there). Modern liberals are pissed at the world and a drag to be around. I need my friends to be positive and upbeat- liberals are just a pain in the ass.

4. They have this wierd sense of superiority, even when they are dealing with people who are clearly thier intellectual and financial superiors. It is amazing. I think that thier arrogance and audacity which supercedes thier actual intellectual capacity is what gets them into trouble. I have had liberal residents try to "teach" me things about medicine. It is hard to "learn" something, when you are removing your foot from the ass of a pompous imbecile (although I have tried).

Old 11-06-2010, 08:50 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,337,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
This is exactly the way I feel about democrats.

However, I find liberals to be very socially irritating people from a variety of standpoints-

1. They ALWAYS want YOU to know thier political views. Socially, who gives a crap? If I am out to dinner or on the golf course, the best way to **** me off is to discuss politics. Shut the hell up and pay attention to life.

2. They are CHEAP to the point of being embarassing. You have to cover thier tips (and many times thier meals/drinks) as they are as tight as a drum. I can't say how many times I have seen liberals stiff hard working waitresses or beverage girls to save a few pennies. Watch how much liberals tip waitresses and cab drivers- it is funny as hell. I ALWAYS have to cover rounds of golf (when on neutral public courses) or pay for drinks for these cheap SOBs.

3. They are unhappy people. I cannot say that I have ever encountered a happy liberal. My view of liberals when I was a kid was the hippies. They were pretty cool and low key (except a riot here and there). Modern liberals are pissed at the world and a drag to be around. I need my friends to be positive and upbeat- liberals are just a pain in the ass.

4. They have this wierd sense of superiority, even when they are dealing with people who are clearly thier intellectual and financial superiors. It is amazing. I think that thier arrogance and audacity which supercedes thier actual intellectual capacity is what gets them into trouble. I have had liberal residents try to "teach" me things about medicine. It is hard to "learn" something, when you are removing your foot from the ass of a pompous imbecile (although I have tried).

The irony!

Old 11-06-2010, 08:52 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
The more they leaned Republican the more likely they were to get voted out of office.
They got voted out because they broke from their moderate principals and voted for Obama/Pelosi/Reid policy against the wishes of the people that elected them.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:58 PM

565 posts, read 485,812 times
[quote=hawkeye2009;16556771]3. They are unhappy people. I cannot say that I have ever encountered a happy liberal. quote]

I do love that one.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:04 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,809,014 times
I avoid getting into any political debate with my republican friends. I can talk for hours and have intelligent conversations with liberals, democrats, libertarians, independents, really everyone but the republicans. I don't know if it's just me, but the way the right in person talk is 10fold worse than how bad it is on this forum. With "F the liberals!" "Get that N out of the white house!" "republicans are the best and screw everyone else" talk. You simply can't have any kind of intelligent conversation with them. I guess that's why they're republicans

Old 11-06-2010, 09:10 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I avoid getting into any political debate with my republican friends. I can talk for hours and have intelligent conversations with liberals, democrats, libertarians, independents, really everyone but the republicans. I don't know if it's just me, but the way the right in person talk is 10fold worse than how bad it is on this forum. With "F the liberals!" "Get that N out of the white house!" "republicans are the best and screw everyone else" talk. You simply can't have any kind of intelligent conversation with them. I guess that's why they're republicans
Your talking to the wrong Republicans. Rational well thought out politically minded republicans don't pull that crap and if they were to do so they lose favor fast.
However I noted that you indicated that your friends that you were mentioning are like that and I would recommend that you find better friends no matter their party

Old 11-06-2010, 09:57 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,872 times
Quote:
I have no problem talking to Republicans that are wealthy. I understand why they vote Republican. They will get to keep 3% more of their money unless the Bush tax cuts are extended. It does not do any good trying to convince a greedy person to give up some of their money.

But how do you talk to people who vote directly against their own interest by voting Republicans, 98% of us.

The inclination is just to call them stupid. That really gets you know where...you are elitist if you call a stupid person stupid. How do you overcome the sheer amount of disinformation they receive from Limbaugh and Fox every single day. The wealthy just have a much better propaganda machine. Information is power and they control it.
I think thats my favorite part of this whole thread. Blasting people who don't vote the same as you as stupid yet you don't know the difference between "nowhere" and "know where". One is an actual word.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:44 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Don't let religion or politics dictate who your friends are, or you will miss the opportunity to bring very good people into your life.
In my opinion, this is the truest and most important statement so far in this thread!

Old 11-07-2010, 06:46 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,059 times
I dont run across many democrats.
ya see, I have a job, so my day is spent talking with Republicans.

Maybe if the OP had a job, he'd discover he has something in common with Republicans...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies