Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 12:44 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The Govt is a bunch of bureaucracies, and there are inherent inefficiencies. That is true in the VA as well. As I said it is improving rapidly. I think we saw similar problems with Katrina response and BP Oil spill response also. Those types of things occur throughout Govt. It will be a long term continuous project to clean those up, and consequently, reduce spending. It is an effort that needs to be taken on, no matter which Political Party is in control. I think they both would agree with that.
You are going to have that in ANY large organization. It does not matter if it is public or private. Believe me, I know because I am an employee of one of the biggest corporations in the world and I see it everyday. I saw it in the military when I was there. The only question is if the organzation delivers for the people- it's customers. The government does get the job done most of the time. It delivers the mail on time most of the time and the schools and parks are open and the stop lights are on and when you dial 9-1-1 usually somebody will show up. Once in awhile, there is a major FUBAR whether in the government or the military and people see it on the TV news and think the government is a total failure. People do not see all the FUBARS that major corporations make because the media is not privy to most of them. They are hidden until something catastrophic occurs such as the plane crash in Buffalo which exposed problems in the airline industry or the Gulf oil spill or even the economic crash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 12:46 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
I am surprised the Tea Party has not expressed outrage yet, since the "R"s pushed off the HC repeal to 2013.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:49 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am surprised the Tea Party has not expressed outrage yet, since the "R"s pushed off the HC repeal to 2013.
Most of them can't read, so the word has to spread first.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:32 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Most of them can't read, so the word has to spread first.
Sarah Palin and Sean Hannity have to tell them what to be mad about. Otherwise they don't get mad.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:26 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKgroI36lZA

Old 11-09-2010, 08:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
As former Vice President of corporate communications at CIGNA, Wendell Potter points out that the joke of healthcare repeal is on the GOP.

Conservatives who voted for congressional candidates because they pledged to repeal and replace the health-care-reform law are in for a rude awakening. Once those newly elected members of Congress have a little talk with the insurance industry’s lobbyists and executives, they will back off from that pledge. They will go through the motions, of course. They’ll hold hearings and take to the floor of both Houses to rail against the new law, and they’ll probably even introduce a bill to repeal it with much fanfare—but it will all be for show. That’s because health insurers, one of Republican candidates’ biggest and most reliable benefactors—the industry contributed three times as much money to Republicans as to Democrats since January—can’t survive without it.

Why Health-Care Reform Will Survive - Newsweek

Old 11-10-2010, 05:51 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
Who is "You People"?

Are you not people?

Old 11-10-2010, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Is it just me or does "The Right" always seem to back the villain (tobacco industry, food safety regulations, environmental pollution regulations, safety regulations etc, etc) Makes one really wonder what America would suffer under complete Republican domination.
I'm not sure how food safety, and regulations against pollution became a villain, but I have to wonder about the agenda behind people's motivations whenever we talk about issues like these. Why wouldn't everyone want people to have good health, clean water, safety -- especially food safety?

Why does helping our poor hurt America? We were built on helping each other have access to a good life. It didn't go "sideways" until big businesses started emerging in the industrial age. Miners were the first to get "the shaft." Then it was the people that worked in the foundries, and then the factories.

All the while, the people defend their oppressive bosses as if the business had become their God, and their neighbors became the enemies.

I just don't get it, probably never will.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Sarah Palin and Sean Hannity have to tell them what to be mad about. Otherwise they don't get mad.
And I wonder just who is telling Sarah what to say. She's become a better puppet than President Reagan.

It will be interesting to see what happens to her when they cut her strings. Will she, too, "forget"?

Old 11-10-2010, 07:14 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Explain how it will benefit me, and the millions of others with preexisting conditions. I am a colon cancer survivor... No company will touch me on the private market. I am also self employed, with my own business. Please tell me, since you are obviously an expert, how I am benefiting by repealing the law...

The "law" will destroy all private insurance when people with preexisting conditions sign up for insurance in time for expensive treatments then drop their policies once the expenses are paid, but that is what it is intended to do, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies