Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 03:08 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,840,583 times

Advertisements

I do not see what you are describing at all in Raleigh. The young professionals and (generally speaking) more liberal types are revitalizing downtown areas where the 'hood' is/was located and real estate prices have sky-rocketed as a result over the last decade. I could (should have!) bought a downtown bungalow for 50k and they now routinely go for north of $300 per sq ft. (most of the houses were in need of substantial repair, but even so the price increase is more "location" related than the cost of rehabilitation of the homes)
With that said, our area did not have near the price drop that other regions had so losses in the 'burbs were limited. Coupled with the now high price of urban living the poor are basically forced out as the landlords and speculators are much more interested in profit. Unintended consequences, go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 03:18 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
As the economic wall of disparity begins to shrink, between whites and blacks...I think it's wonderful that you now see more and more white families moving back into parts of towns and or cities, that their parents fled from decades ago...

Gone are the days that just because you were a young yuppie professional...the banks would extend $500,000 loans to ya...

Now, many 'whites' are feeling the economic pinch, that many folks in the cities have...and as such...are becoming much more practical in choosing their first home...or second home, after loosing the $250,000 home in the suburbs...

As foreclosers show no sign of slowing down...many former suburban families...are discovering that realistate can be had for relative cheap prices in the city...and as such, at least where I'm able to observe, your seeing more 'white' families move back into the 'hood'....and occupying or buying houses and realistate for bargain basement prices...

I think that is a good thing...as these parts of town need more 'diversity'...and whites will bring that badly needed diversity to the hoods that they are now beggining to rehabitate...

When whites and blacks live together, in the same hoods, and their kids hang out, they seem to develope a better understanding of each other...

I observe nothing but peace and harmony where I see these white families re assimilating into hoods that their parents or grandparents fled from decades ago...bravo...
Source? The fact is that most white people who lose everything (or never had anything) usually opt for suburban trailer parks in the past. Now many of those are populated by Mexicans. So I don't know where the white man's ghetto is today.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:19 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
I do not see what you are describing at all in Raleigh. The young professionals and (generally speaking) more liberal types are revitalizing downtown areas where the 'hood' is/was located and real estate prices have sky-rocketed as a result over the last decade. I could (should have!) bought a downtown bungalow for 50k and they now routinely go for north of $300 per sq ft. (most of the houses were in need of substantial repair, but even so the price increase is more "location" related than the cost of rehabilitation of the homes)
With that said, our area did not have near the price drop that other regions had so losses in the 'burbs were limited. Coupled with the now high price of urban living the poor are basically forced out as the landlords and speculators are much more interested in profit. Unintended consequences, go figure.
I was just going to comment on the same thing- exactly what city has cheaper housing than the suburbs? Nearly all cities have been experiencing a resurgence of professionals and retiring suburbanites desperate to get out of the dying, terminally boring suburbs and prices in urban cores are nearly always more expensive because of it. I sure as hell wouldn't live in the suburbs, you would loose your shirt if you bought a house there, they have no value.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
If that trend really exists, it would be good, provided it is not the beginning of a gentrification process. I agree that the voluntary separation of ethnic groups was a very negative development for society as a whole. It's like running from problems instead of fixing them.
If one looks at crime statistics, it is striking that minority-dominated places tend to have much more crime (sorry to say that, I know it's not pc). If cities were composed like the US demographic average, life would be much better for everybody.
The problem is that, when whites move into a poor neighbourhood, the values skyrocket over night almost which means that the poor cannot live there anymore.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:24 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Trickle up poverty is not something to be celebrated. It is better to bring the innercity poor to educational and economic success than to bring all of society to the lower levels of parity.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I was just going to comment on the same thing- exactly what city has cheaper housing than the suburbs? Nearly all cities have been experiencing a resurgence of professionals and retiring suburbanites desperate to get out of the dying, terminally boring suburbs and prices in urban cores are nearly always more expensive because of it. I sure as hell wouldn't live in the suburbs, you would loose your shirt if you bought a house there, they have no value.
Who says that the suburbs are not "cool"? We have outdoor concerts, festivals cafes, transit and most things that you would have in a city. The suburbs can be far from boring.
Coolest Suburbs Worth a Visit

Old 11-06-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Out here in Oakland its called yuppies in SF who find out that they can actually get front yards in Oakland. They're making all the working class neighborhoods overpriced and driving the locals out to towns like Vallejo and Antioch. The main development of this is that blacks in particular will be driven out from the urban core of the bay and as such will be isolated from jobs and no one will give a **** because the suburbs aren't economically important... see Vallejo.
Same thing in Atlanta. The city has virtually ran about 1/3rd of its black population out to places like Clayton County.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:37 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I didn't say belonging to a minority automatically or exclusively causes crime.
good, I'm glad you didn't say that, cause it doesn't...there are other factors that determine crime rates...the color of your skin having absolutly nothing to do with it...

Profit, being one factor...greed, being another.
Ponze schemes, which rip off thousands a year, are crimes driven by 'greed'...
Alot of shootings that occur, whether between biker gangs or city gangs, are usually the result of 'turf wars'...'money'...

The same reason Japan attacked Pearl Harbor in WW2...
They didn't attack us because they were 'Japanese'...rather they attacked due to economic disagreements they had with our Government...
Had we done the same to Ireland...then maybe Ireland would of attacked instead...
I'm just saying...people, humans, are motivated to do things, not because of their color or ethnicity, but rather do to conditions, or enviornment...or simply lack of ethics, cause maybe in their enviornment they were just never taught any...
And money or income level have nothing to do with ethics...for if so, the headlines wouldn't be constantly about these millionare fortune 500 daughters re appearing in court do to drugs and parole violations...

The main thing, is to make sure you, me, we, behave correctly and don't commit crimes...and share the ethics you have, with those who may not have any...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Source? The fact is that most white people who lose everything (or never had anything) usually opt for suburban trailer parks in the past. Now many of those are populated by Mexicans. So I don't know where the white man's ghetto is today.
It all depends on where you live? In rural kansas...yes...maybe...
But people tend to go where the jobs are...so if a family lives outside of Tampa, and only has one vehicle...it makes more economic sense for them to move closer to the city, than away from it....

Old 11-06-2010, 04:02 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Um.. who is stereotyping now? If a white person had said something similar about blacks, you'd be calling them racist..

btw, the white mans ghetto today, same place as it was yesterday, and the day before, and the day before.

Seriously, where on gods earth do you guys live that you think white ghettos evaporated from society...

Old 11-06-2010, 04:50 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Time and Space No not really, I speak redneck pretty good though. My moutain man ain't any to bad either. My yankee is absolutly perfect.

This make me tri lingual, and next i am working on being a cunning linguist, ain't that nice?

If this is a problem it's all yerin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies