Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:21 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I'm not necessarily arguing with you, but want to add to this post.

A lot of liberals do make Jesus political, but so do plenty of Christian conservatives; to the point where many--like James Dobson--have done everything short of declaring that Jesus was a George Bush-style Republican.

The religious right, in putting politics before the gospel, are sell outs. They have abdicated their role in this world for worldly power and influence. They have hoped to get the benefits of this world while neglecting to point people to a better world beyond. This has also created a climate in much of the American church that basically says you have to go along with the GOP platform in order be a good Christian. And that is a travesty that makes them no better than Christian liberals who turn Jesus solely into a pet for their social issues.

Why can't I be pro-life and support universal health care? Why can't I agree with having a national defense, but be against torture? Why can't I agree with personal responsibility and support Medicare and Social Security? I am a bible reading, "fairy tale" believing Christian. I also consider myself a liberal. But that does not mean that I think Jesus was a liberal. Like you, I think he was a-political. That, I think, is the proper attitude for Christians--left and right--to have about politics.

Just had to get that off my chest.
I couldn't have said it better myself and I agree with what you have written here 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 341 times
Default Am I the only non-(politically) conservative Christian out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Am I the only non-(politically) conservative Christian out there?

The title is a little hyperbolic, I mean, my close friends back home (in Michigan) are all left-leaning Christians. However, it seems like any sort of Christian organization leans FAR to the right, any organization, commentary or event targeting Christians has a right-wing slant, many churches promote the right-wing agenda and the vast majority of Christians I meet here (Minnesota) are far-right conservative Republicans. Additionally, it seems like most Democrats, moderates and / or liberals are atheists or agnostics.

I honestly feel like I'm the only one who feels this way. I read my Bible, and I don't see where it supports the Tea Party agenda. However, apparently most Christians think it does?! I just don't get why American Christianity seems to be married to the right-wing agenda? In my opinion, Republican economic policy, foreign policy and social agenda (other than abortion) stands in opposition to Biblical values. Are abortion and gay marriage really the ONLY issues American Christians care about?!

My views:
I am a Christian (non-denominational) Yes
I believe Jesus is the only way to God Yeah
I believe the Bible is the word of God I would agree to a point since the Bible has been altered over the years.
I would describe myself as politically moderate I'm a more of a leftest
I am for a progressive tax system (tax the rich more) We need to do away with all taxes and have one tax for everyone regardless of class
I'm against "free trade" -- I support protectionist policies We need "free trade" so I'm for it
I support single-payer, universal healthcare Agree
I'm AGAINST the Iraq and Afghanistan wars (bring our troops home now!!!) Agree, we shouldn't of been in ether counties.
I oppose war in most cases -- I believe in diplomacy over military action Agree, but we need to be more concerned about defending our homeland than to fight other wars or policing the world.
I'm against the death penalty I Agree, It cost a lot and really doesn't help the victims
I'm against abortion in all cases Agree and Disagree, we need to encourage mothers to look at other options but still keep in mind at the end it's up to them and their doctor
I'm personally against gay marriage, but I don't think the government should ban it I agree with same-sex marriage and think the states and federal gov should stay out of it.
I support amnesty for undocumented immigrants and a guest worker program I support a path-way for immigrants to work for their citizenship thought working and paying taxes.
I don't think Sarah Palin is the next George Washington Agree
I don't listen to Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Michael Savage or other such demagogues Agree
I'm not a Tea Party member Same here but today's Tea Party isn't the 1773 Tea Party
I know Barack Obama is not a Muslim (or born in Kenya) Agree

Am I really the only Christian who feels this way?
I'm a christian who is not a conservative and believes in a lot of libertarian views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies