Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 11:09 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'll wager education and work ethic are major players.
I'll wager that out of wedlock births are higher where there are few jobs for men to begin with. Why are half of Black males unemployed in cities like Milwaulkee and NYC? Black males have long been heavily concentrated in manufacturing work. Those jobs are declining in America which hurts Blacks males more.

Also take into account some degree of job discrimination affecting Black males job prospects. I see one needed solution to this is an increase in Black business ownership. I don't think Black-Americans as a group have put enough empahsis on entreprenurship since the 70's. We've put more emphasis on getting jobs instead of creating jobs for ourselves.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:22 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I'll wager that out of wedlock births are higher where there are few jobs for men to begin with. Why are half of Black males unemployed in cities like Milwaulkee and NYC? Black males have long been heavily concentrated in manufacturing work. Those jobs are declining in America which hurts Blacks males more.

Also take into account some degree of job discrimination affecting Black males job prospects. I see one needed solution to this is an increase in Black business ownership. I don't think Black-Americans as a group have put enough empahsis on entreprenurship since the 70's. We've put more emphasis on getting jobs instead of creating jobs for ourselves.
But becoming an entrepreneur takes education and money, things that those very people being unemployed because of declining manufacturing probably don't have
When black men witness that now even whites and Asians are tumbling down the social ladder, that might not exactly be encouraging, either.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I think you're being too quick to blame unemployed males for the high percentage of single pregnant women. It takes two to tango and these women can easily get FREE birth control.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:45 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
A society that devalues men in their roles as husbands and fathers is a society just asking for trouble. This is why gang-related activity is popular with young males; if there are no male authority figures at home for them to look up to they'll go elsewhere for them.

Hollywood glamorizing single-motherhood and gangsta rap stars doesn't help.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:04 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
It says to me that many are deciding against having an abortion.

In all honesty, they should wait until they're married but the reality is that a lot of young women do not know what to expect from a male or how to behave in a way to have physical boundaries with males because they don't grow up with a father in the home who can teach them how to behave and to demand physical respect first and so they think that by giving them sex that they'll stay around, a pregnancy results and then they're stuck as single mothers raising a child alone.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It says to me that many are deciding against having an abortion.

In all honesty, they should wait until they're married but the reality is that a lot of young women do not know what to expect from a male or how to behave in a way to have physical boundaries with males because they don't grow up with a father in the home who can teach them how to behave and to demand physical respect first and so they think that by giving them sex that they'll stay around, a pregnancy results and then they're stuck as single mothers raising a child alone.
But don't you think by the 3rd or 4th kid they'd have learned ?
By then it's too late and they are stuck on the government dole.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:15 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
But becoming an entrepreneur takes education and money, things that those very people being unemployed because of declining manufacturing probably don't have

As far as that I think this needs to be taken into account. This probably hasn't changed much as far as the point he's making:

" If you go by the numbers,assimilation in the 1960's was a smashing success. From 1965 to 1969,the percentage of Blacks making less than $3,000 decreased,while the percentage of blacks earining over $10,000 increased to 28%. In 1965,10% of all young blacks were in college;six years later that figure was 18%. By 1972, 2,264 blacks served as elected officials,the highest number in American history at that time.The total annual income of black America was $100 billion.

At the same time though,the amount of that income reinvested in black communities was minuscule,and most of that college-trained talent became workers in established white businesses,not independent entrepreneurs.

Moreover,many of the economic gains were being created by government intervention and monitoring. Blacks were not then,growing into an independent economic force,but were becoming an increasingly lucrative market for white-provided commodities. "

Nelson George,from The Death Of Rhythm And Blues
------------------------

I see one thing that's been missing with Blacks over the years is for more educated Blacks to go into business ownership. Instead many Black college graduates are heavily employed in gov't. The Black middle class it can be argued is over represented with people in government jobs. Had more college educated Blacks since the 70's become that independent economic force like Nelson George mentions then maybe the employment situation for Blacks wouldn't be as bad as it is today.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:31 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Quote:
But don't you think by the 3rd or 4th kid they'd have learned ?
By then it's too late and they are stuck on the government dole.
You can actually trace this back to the 1960's and the anti-poverty programs that President Johnson initiated. They made sure that a woman would not be eligible for welfare if there's a father in the house. That started it. This wasn't a problem before the 1960's. The underemployment of black males contributed to this. Why get married if she can get assistance from the government, why should the male have any responsibility to raise the child - especially if he can't find a job.

There's no secret about the cyclical history of welfare recipients. It's multi-generational. If you're going to get a handout for no work, why work? If your mother raised you without a father, and there was no father in the house for you growing up, then why should you think that you need to have a father beyond conceiving a child? That's the mindset. It's wrong, but that's what they're dealing with.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:34 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,972 times
Quote:
I think you're being too quick to blame unemployed males for the high percentage of single pregnant women. It takes two to tango and these women can easily get FREE birth control.
And now, free abortions too!

Old 11-07-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You can actually trace this back to the 1960's and the anti-poverty programs that President Johnson initiated. They made sure that a woman would not be eligible for welfare if there's a father in the house. That started it. This wasn't a problem before the 1960's. The underemployment of black males contributed to this. Why get married if she can get assistance from the government, why should the male have any responsibility to raise the child - especially if he can't find a job.

There's no secret about the cyclical history of welfare recipients. It's multi-generational. If you're going to get a handout for no work, why work? If your mother raised you without a father, and there was no father in the house for you growing up, then why should you think that you need to have a father beyond conceiving a child? That's the mindset. It's wrong, but that's what they're dealing with.
I have seen some evidence of this. Tutoring in low income schools opens your eyes. Imagine a 15 year old girl whose mother is not even twice her age and whose grandmother is more of a mother than the mother herself.
And these kids think that's the norm..that's how life is. If they know no better, how can anything about them improve ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies