Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times

Advertisements

I gess you coukld say that secular society is less likely to see abortion killing as not anyhting and call for older people to be allowed to die from what I have seen. its all in ones perspective really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 06:45 PM

37,164 posts, read 19,170,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep on livin View Post
We are all related. We are all part of the Human Family. You don't need people just in your immediate family harmed to get get angry.
Reread what I posted. I cannot prescribe my personal feelings to the judicial system. On a personal level I can be barbaric. The law should NEVER be barbaric.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:49 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
A Pew Research Center for the People & the Press survey released last week found that those who attend weekly church services are more likely than those who rarely or never attend services to say the use of torture on suspected terrorists is justifiable

The poll also suggests that those who are religious are more likely to say the use of torture can be justified than those who are not religious.

Churchgoers More Likely To See Torture As Justifiable - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

and anyone posting on CD for awhile is not surprised.

Torture terrorists?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lKZq...eature=related

Why would anyone want to do that?

We can simply give them a lawyer and the same rights we give US citizens who are not terrorists.

It's easy to sit and ***** when you are not responsible for the safety and security of US citizens. Our elected officials cannot hide behind convenient ideals as liberals who will never be tested love to do.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:53 PM

37,164 posts, read 19,170,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Torture terrorists?

Why would anyone want to do that?

We can simply give them a lawyer and the same rights we give US citizens who are not terrorists.

It's easy to sit and ***** when you are not responsible for the safety and security of US citizens. Our elected officials cannot hide behind convenient ideals as liberals who will never be tested love to do.
Once they are on U.S. soil those rights are guaranteed to them by our Constitution.

Again, intelligence gained through torture is not reliable in the least. Ask John McCain.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:55 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,573,675 times
Quote:
a pew research center for the people & the press survey released last week found that those who attend weekly church services are more likely than those who rarely or never attend services to say the use of torture on suspected terrorists is justifiable

the poll also suggests that those who are religious are more likely to say the use of torture can be justified than those who are not religious.

churchgoers more likely to see torture as justifiable - political hotsheet - cbs news

and anyone posting on cd for awhile is not surprised.
cbs,cbs, is a joke. You should be anberace to even say you watch that network

Old 11-07-2010, 06:57 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,477,772 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Cuebald
Once they are on U.S. soil those rights are guaranteed to them by our Constitution.

Again, intelligence gained through torture is not reliable in the least. Ask John McCain.

Cuebald, don't you remember? To conservatives, McCain's a RINO liberal who has no backbone. Still doesn't change the fact that he's right.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:57 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,512 times
Let's see: The article (and study) is about the use of torture on suspected terrorists. It is not about pedophiles - so you can scratch this argument.

It is also about people who are SUSPECTED of committing a crime and NOT about people who have been CONVICTED of committing a crime (in this case, terrorism - whatever that may mean). Hence, the argument that those who have been convicted get what they deserve also has no place in this discussion!

Finally, let's talk about the real meat here: Some people believe it is perfectly alright to use torture to extract information from SUSPECTS. I suppose those people have never heard of "Innocent until proven guilty..." nor have they heard of the Human Rights or the Constitution.

These people have also never thought that torturing a person will eventually result in any given person admitting to anything you want them to admit to - thereby potentially negating the reliance or truth of the information you hope to extract. I thought we had learned something in the last few centuries but it appears that this kind of knowledge hasn't made it to all corners of the earth, yet.

Naturally, we are talking about terrorists and to some, that seems to mean that anything goes. Fine, I have no sympathy for terrorists, either. However, a suspected terrorist is quite different from a convicted terrorist - and I find it troubling (although not surprising) that some people apparently lack the mental capacity to differentiate. I guess it's alright as long as it's not you or your loved ones who get innocently tortured...

Perhaps it's all okay: If the US tortures it's suspects, doesn't that basically make it alright for other nations to torture their suspects as well - including Americans? Bad news for those "spies" who accidentally crossed into Iran. Good luck Shane and Joshua...

Last edited by vamos; 11-07-2010 at 07:08 PM..

Old 11-07-2010, 07:06 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,092 times
Quote:
A Pew Research Center for the People & the Press survey released last week found that those who attend weekly church services are more likely than those who rarely or never attend services to say the use of torture on suspected terrorists is justifiable

The poll also suggests that those who are religious are more likely to say the use of torture can be justified than those who are not religious.

Churchgoers More Likely To See Torture As Justifiable - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

No surprise. Torture and church have worked together for centuries. It's a tradition. One relies on the other.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:15 PM

565 posts, read 485,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
No surprise. Torture and church have worked together for centuries. It's a tradition. One relies on the other.
One might have thought those times were over.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:19 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:

Yup, Christians are torturers.

This of course is all about waterboarding.

And the people who do not go to church would rather see a mushroom cloud appear over San Francisco, murdering millions of innocent people, just so they can smugly hold their head high and say "I was opposed waterboarding, and I'm better then you". Nope, not ever, even if waterboarding would have caused the person who knows where and how the bomb was to be detonated to tell us.

Last edited by Wapasha; 11-07-2010 at 08:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies