Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 05:03 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
You're incredibly naive, if you think that many whites are not threatened by African Americans, who want to be successful. If they weren't, then why are there so many roadblocks put in the way by some whites, to hinder African Americans from becoming successful?
Where do you get this "many whites" idea from???

The majority of voters in this country just voted for a black president, and still other majorities in local elections elected black people into government. This idea of yours that "many whites" want to prevent black people from being successful is just something you have made up.

There are many people with many variations of bigotry all over the world, if you look for them. I'll bet there are a lot more liberal bigots who want to prevent conservatives from being successful, then their are white bigots who want to prevent blacks from being successful.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:09 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Oh Art....she was being sarcastic
Beyond that snafu, and her inability to simply own up to it without blaming this or that, I'm curious as to what you think about this assistance (asking because she's clearly no longer responding to my posts, not that I blame her).

The rich certainly have no intention of paying more in taxes, and they won't. The government, and Obama, will not pull out of Afghanistan or tighten the defense budget, so who is supposed to pay for this? eta: and by 'this' I mean either reparations in this thread, a special benefits program that would exceed welfare payments from her other thread, etc. The middle class and working poor. And do these folk want to pay more in taxes? I'm going to take a not so wild guess that the answer is an emphatic no, regardless of race.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:12 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Getting money for free from the Govt is the wrong assistance. Getting a education, maybe for free is the right assistance, but then it takes working.

You can give a guy a fish and he will eat it. You can teach a guy How To fish and then he can feed himself.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:13 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
never. Now that micheal's dead and oj's in jail, this is all we got left.

*lmao*

Old 11-11-2010, 05:15 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Getting money for free from the Govt is the wrong assistance. Getting a education, maybe for free is the right assistance, but then it takes working.

You can give a guy a fish and he will eat it. You can teach a guy How To fish and then he can feed himself.
Well, paying for school isn't really an issue. The fed backs most student loans, so pretty much anybody can get them. And for the dedicated student, college can be free...or at least paid for by the tax payer.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:16 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Beyond that snafu, and her inability to simply own up to it without blaming this or that, I'm curious as to what you think about this assistance (asking because she's clearly no longer responding to my posts, not that I blame her).

The rich certainly have no intention of paying more in taxes, and they won't. The government, and Obama, will not pull out of Afghanistan or tighten the defense budget, so who is supposed to pay for this? eta: and by 'this' I mean either reparations in this thread, a special benefits program that would exceed welfare payments from her other thread, etc. The middle class and working poor. And do these folk want to pay more in taxes? I'm going to take a not so wild guess that the answer is an emphatic no, regardless of race.

Look, there are an abundance of programs out there for EVERYONE, mainly minorities. I've taken advantage of those programs starting out, fortunately or unfortunately due to my income my children are not eligible, so I have to take out the government studen loans. I do not agree that more is needed. without understand why what is already out there is not enough? I really don't understand. These same folks that the OP is talking about can go to the library, there is a HUGE book on the many different programs and scholarships. I'm just not one of those believers that think enough is not being done.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:18 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

That's very nice speech however in the early 1960's Cubans got quite a different spiel.

Cuban American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Political upheaval in Cuba created new waves of Cuban immigrants to the U.S. In 1959, after the Cuban revolution led by Fidel Castro, a large Cuban exodus began as the new government allied itself with the Soviet Union and began to introduce communism. From 1960 to 1979, hundreds of thousands of Cubans left Cuba and began a new life in the United States. Most Cuban Americans that arrived in the United States initially came from Cuba's educated upper and middle classes. Between December 1960 and October 1962 more than 14,000 Cuban children arrived alone in the U.S. Their parents were afraid that their children were going to be sent to some Soviet bloc countries to be educated and they decided to send them to the States as soon as possible. This program was called Operation Pedro Pan (Operacion Pedro Pan). When the children arrived in Miami they were met by representatives of Catholic Charities and they were sent to live with relatives if they had any or were sent to foster homes, orphanages or boarding schools until their parents could leave Cuba. In order to provide aid to recently arrived Cuban immigrants, the United States Congress passed the Cuban Adjustment Act in 1966. The Cuban Refugee Program provided more than $1.3 billion of direct financial assistance. They also were eligible for public assistance, Medicare, free English courses, scholarships, and low-interest college loans. Some banks even pioneered loans for exiles who did not have collateral or credit but received help in getting a business loan. These loans enabled many Cuban Americans to secure funds and start up their own businesses. With their Cuban-owned businesses and low cost of living, Miami, Florida and Union City, New Jersey (dubbed "Little Havana-on-the Hudson")[9] were the preferred destinations for many immigrants and soon became the main centers for Cuban American culture. Union City had the opportunities offered by the embroidery industry. According to author Lisandro Perez, Miami was not particularly attractive to Cubans prior to the 1960s.[10] It was not until the mass exodus of the Cuban exiles in 1959 that Miami started to become a preferred destination. Westchester, Florida within Miami-Dade County, stands as the area most populated by Cubans and Cuban Americans in the United States, followed by Hialeah, Florida in second.[11]

Old 11-11-2010, 05:18 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Default Should Obama implement reparations for African Americans?

Just change the name from "Affirmative Action" to "Reparative Action", and it's done.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:21 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Those same lynchings in the 1800s included white republicans too, and everyone who participated in them is dead now.
The overwhelming majority of those lynched were black men, and they lasted well into the 1950s. Not so sure everyone who participated in them is dead, btw. Also not so sure that it matters in context of our discussion.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:22 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Don't thumbs up too much. You do realize that I'm one of the black people. So therefore I'm making excuses, blaming slavery, blaming whites for being afraid of a successful black man, etc...that is what you said, right?
Not at all. I'm giving you thumbs up b/c you're one of the only black people on CD willing to admit there's a problem. You're not the one pointing the finger at everyone but the black population for the black population's problems. I have repped you a couple times (or at least tried to, it just won't let me till I spread around more reputation).

Like I said, the black people are not the problem. The color of your skin makes no difference to me. It's the ghetto and lazy behavior that is the problem. I believe we have that opinion in common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies