Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 06:14 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Unfortunately only white people have the luxury of just being "American." Everyone else gets the questions of, "no where are you really from?"

People assume that all Mexicans here are "illegal" and all Asians are "fobs."

The only people who are really assumed to "American" are white and african-american. Everyone else is questioned.

I know white, Indian and of course "black" africans. In some ways these africans have more in common with each other than black americans. I count anyone who grows up in Africa as an african, but the people I know also have an identity as being an XXX from Africa. It is kinda the same thing.
LOL, well I'm so white I'm blinding in strong sunlight, but as soon as I open my mouth it's pretty obvious I'm NOT "from here", so no, it's not only NON whites that get asked "where are you from".

Old 11-21-2010, 06:54 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,929,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
As our first African American president, should Barack Obama implement reparations, for African Americans? African Americans are still disproportionately poor, unemployed, targeted and profiled by law enforcement, and face many other injustices, based on their race. So, is it high time, that Obama get serious about reparations for African Americans now?
Grow up. ASAP.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
LOL, well I'm so white I'm blinding in strong sunlight, but as soon as I open my mouth it's pretty obvious I'm NOT "from here", so no, it's not only NON whites that get asked "where are you from".
I agree all bets are off when you start talking.
I mean before you start talking. Or if you have an american accent.
I mean if I didn't hear you, I would just assume you were from Minnesota.
Unless you are wearing Euro sandals. Then you know, I'd assume you were from Europe.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:02 PM

134 posts, read 127,050 times
Quote:
As our first African American president, should Barack Obama implement reparations, for African Americans? African Americans are still disproportionately poor, unemployed, targeted and profiled by law enforcement, and face many other injustices, based on their race. So, is it high time, that Obama get serious about reparations for African Americans now?
Yes, they did the same for the Japanese, why not blacks? Unless there is a truly deeper issue, that whites are scared to death of losing too much power.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:06 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
Yes, all in favor of reparations. Ship them back to Africa.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:43 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I agree all bets are off when you start talking.
I mean before you start talking. Or if you have an american accent.
I mean if I didn't hear you, I would just assume you were from Minnesota.
Unless you are wearing Euro sandals. Then you know, I'd assume you were from Europe.
I have a hard time buying into this. I've never met a person in my life that assumed an individual wasn't American based on physical features, given that the US is the melting pot and all. The determination is always made after hearing an accent. And what exactly are people doing? Standing around discussing strangers walking down the street? The argument here is pretty odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMelody View Post
Yes, they did the same for the Japanese, why not blacks? Unless there is a truly deeper issue, that whites are scared to death of losing too much power.
I think the deeper issue is that folk don't want to pay one more dime in taxes for anything, regardless of race. That, and the fact that many of us come from immigrant backgrounds where our ancestors had nothing to do with slavery. Also, it gets sticky because you would also have affluent African Americans paying reparations to other African Americans unless there was some kind of partitioning of tax brackets based on race, which doesn't seem doable to me.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:51 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Yes, all in favor of reparations. Ship them back to Africa.
I'm with that, as long as you go the hell back where you came from........

Old 11-22-2010, 06:09 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,234 times
No.
The taxpayers were not even born and neither were you.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:38 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
Grow up. ASAP.
Get a clue. ASAP!

Old 11-22-2010, 07:40 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,826 times
Quote:

No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies