Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your views on blacks having their own media?
There's nothing wrong with it 58 33.53%
It's racist 109 63.01%
I don't know 6 3.47%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 04:23 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I paid very close attention today, no white privilege whatsoever. I took my trash cans out to the street just like my Black and Latino neighbors. I went grocery shopping with my Spanish wife and our mixed race child, we looked but never found the shorter white waiting lines to check out or the white only parking spots close to the door... we had to park with all of the common folks. I'll keep my eye out for this white privilege and I'll report back when I find some, I'm really looking forward to it.
LOLOL

Today I took a bath and relaxed. I don't think that's a privilege since I think minorities have bath tubs and running hot water. Maybe some don't, so maybe that's a white privilege.

I also had my husband pick up the shed door which flew off overnight b/c of the wind. I've seen black people with sheds, too, and I think a black wife also might have asked her husband to go do it while she finishes getting dressed.

I went out to eat for lunch, we were seated right away since there was no wait, and I saw black people sitting at a table when we sat down (I remember this b/c they had a little kid, who was less annoying than the white kid whose family sat down after the black people left). So I know black people also go to Cheesecake Factory. One of the servers was Spanish and the manager was black, so I know minorities also have decent jobs.

I drove home and saw some black people in their cars so I know they are also out driving on Sundays. No white privilege here.

After that, I came home and argued with other black people on CD so I know black people have access to Internet and a computer. Again, no white privilege.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 04:40 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,606 times
Quote:
It's your job to prove that blacks ARE affected by slavery, not the other way around because trying to prove a negative is like trying to get Jessie Jackson to give up the race card... ain't gonna happen.

I work with a couple black guys who are in no way affected by slavery, they're well educated and very well spoken, they don't blame anyone of any race for anything, they're honest and level headed about the current state of affairs in the black community and they acknowledge that black people have nobody to blame but black people when it comes to single mothers, high rates of black high school dropouts and the high number of incarcerated blacks. I enjoy working with them more than any of the other guys on our team and I look forward to having conversations about race with them because I know they're intelligent and it's possible to have a frank conversation with them without being called a racist just because you ask tough questions.

It's amazing how far a little education, self responsibility and honesty will take a person.
I would like to address your assertion that the black people of today are not impacted by slavery.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6456765.stm
http://www.gibbsmagazine.com/Legacy%20of%20slavery.htm
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/4i3088.html
http://bigthink.com/ideas/2661 (This is an interesting twist on the matter - one that was not raised in this thread)

Those black guys you work with were indeed affected by slavery if they were raised in the United States. You think they weren't impacted because all you see is the result of their overcoming the effects of slavery. You don't see what they dealt with or how they were regarded or treated, or what obstacles they had to overcome prior to arriving where they are today. There's much, much more to shaking the effects of slavery than getting a good paying job, speaking Standard English, and leaving white people with the impression that "We have overcome".

I'm professional, articulate, hard-working, responsible, and honest, too. I also know that I overcame a lot of obstacles and racism to get where I am. To look at me today, a person such as yourself would come to the same erroneous conclusion that your reached regarding your two black colleagues.

While I believe that we (black people) are responsible for correcting what is wrong in the black community, I am under no illusion that all of what is wrong with the black community is self-inflicted. Today's ills are built on a foundation of the racism that is part of the historical fabric of this country. As that history unfolded, the combination of institutional racism (too broad to go into right now), a series of bad choices that we made, a changing economic and industrial / manufacturing picture over the last 50 years, a breakdown of the family structure, the influence of drugs, gangs, and the easy money associated with them have all contributed to the present condition of Black America. By the way, just an FYI for some people on this and other C-D threads, Black America is not all poor, or all on drugs, welfare, in jail, or waiting for a handout from white people the government, or anybody else.

Our best chance of survival is to adopt a widespread mindset of self-reliance and reaching back to pull those up who are stuck in the muck. In some ways, that is going back to the "old days". In my opinion, it's time to stop waiting for the "level playing field" to materialize because it never will. To that end, I have no problem with black-oriented organizations, television or radio networks, or educational institutions that promote progress and positivity for black people without purposely stepping on other groups.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:15 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,606 times
Quote:
I paid very close attention today, no white privilege whatsoever. I took my trash cans out to the street just like my Black and Latino neighbors. I went grocery shopping with my Spanish wife and our mixed race child, we looked but never found the shorter white waiting lines to check out or the white only parking spots close to the door... we had to park with all of the common folks. I'll keep my eye out for this white privilege and I'll report back when I find some, I'm really looking forward to it.
I got your White Privilege right here:

Shopping While Black. Notice how most of the white people are very hesitant to step in to right what is obviously a wrong. Some even jump on the bandwagon.

YouTube - What Would You Do? - ABC News - 'Shopping While Black'

Vandalizing a car...it's OK if you're white

YouTube - ABC - 20/20 What Would You Do / Racism In America - Part 2

Problems keeping your own name...you're not a real American

YouTube - Muslims Changing Names to Avoid Discrimination

Driving while black

YouTube - "Driving While Black"

Racism in Real Estate. This one isn't so much about the discrimination, staged though it was. This is about how people stand up for others...or not.

YouTube - What Would You Do? Racist Realtor

Stealing a bicycle. This is the ultimate in white privilege. Check it out!

YouTube - What Would You Do? Man Stealing Bike In Park

For those who don't think it exists...the camera doesn't lie.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:40 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
For those who don't think it exists...the camera doesn't lie.
There's a good reason why a lot of people of all races don't get involved in situations like the ones you posted. You live in Houston, you should know what I'm talking about already.

Good Samaritan Killed In Purse Snatching - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/25755834/detail.html - broken link)

How's that for white privilege? Shot dead by a black punk because he tried to help an old lady during a robbery, I'm sure the dead man's family feels really privileged right now.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:10 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Quote:
There's a good reason why a lot of people of all races don't get involved in situations like the ones you posted. You live in Houston, you should know what I'm talking about already.

Good Samaritan Killed In Purse Snatching - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/25755834/detail.html - broken link)

How's that for white privilege? Shot dead by a black punk because he tried to help an old lady during a robbery, I'm sure the dead man's family feels really privileged right now.
As far as I'm concerned, refusing to get involved in something that demands an intervention is just cowardly. I guess if your values are "me, me, me," then of course you would not reach out to help anyone else. But I personally think that is a cowardly way to live.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:15 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Hate to break it to you, but punks come in every color. Don't know why you had to note "black punk." Why don't you tell us why you don't like black people? Your personal reasons.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:19 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,776 times
There is a substantial amount of Blacks in the US with multimillion dollar paychecks. How many Black based charities can one list? I've only seen Whites establishing charities that help Blacks (here and around the world). Any Black charities helping out White poor? Asian poor? Native American poor? Black poor? The rich black all seem to blow their money on their own materialistic interests (houses, cars and jewelry)

How much has Oprah, Tiger Woods, all the rappers, NBA players, etc... donated to the poor Black neighborhoods (let alone ALL needy persons of ALL RACES which would be the moral thing to do)?

Old 11-14-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
As far as I'm concerned, refusing to get involved in something that demands an intervention is just cowardly. I guess if your values are "me, me, me," then of course you would not reach out to help anyone else. But I personally think that is a cowardly way to live.
There's a point where getting physically involved is a fighting a losing battle when you're dealing with people who don't value life. I'd have no problem whatsoever putting a couple ounces of lead into someone who was physically attacking someone else but I would need to know for sure that their life was in some sort of danger. I'm a stand up guy but I'm not going to let some piece of trash punk shoot me because I tried to help some little old lady. That's not cowardly, that's just common sense and unfortunately I have obligations that are more important than someone's purse.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Hate to break it to you, but punks come in every color. Don't know why you had to note "black punk." Why don't you tell us why you don't like black people? Your personal reasons.
Of course punks come in all colors, this one just happened to be black which is why I brought it up since someone posted a bunch of videos concerning whites and blacks in situations where they stand up for each other or sometimes fail to.

Nice job on trying to label me a racist because I posted a news story though. You show me where I said I don't like black people and I'll explain why, until then try your best to stay on subject without interjecting your own inadequacies into this conversation.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:55 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
How much has Oprah, Tiger Woods, all the rappers, NBA players, etc... donated to the poor Black neighborhoods (let alone ALL needy persons of ALL RACES which would be the moral thing to do)?
you're kidding right? oprah is notorious for her philanthropy. and i don't know of any extremely wealthy ball player or rapper/musician that hasn't given back to the black community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies