Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your views on blacks having their own media?
There's nothing wrong with it 58 33.53%
It's racist 109 63.01%
I don't know 6 3.47%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:53 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I really wouldn't care, especially since it wouldn't be much different from most of what's out there anyway.
Right, I never thought black (or vietnamese, mexican, etc...) targeted channels are racist, so neither would a SPECIFIC white targeted channel would be. CNN etc... are not really targeted to the white populace specifically (but I can see how they can appear to)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 02:09 AM

240 posts, read 443,179 times
Quote:
Yes, they are.

I never said anything about whether or not they spend time around white people. I have no idea why you introduced this.

Unless you live in Africa or Haiti, you will never "live life in this manner." That said, in this society, as I said earlier, you are bombarded with negative, anti-black messages, from white society, from individual whites AND from individual blacks, to the extent that you are affected from Day 1. It's just the way it is here.
Well parts of NJ must be located right next to Africa or Haiti then! Check out the demographics of this state if you don't believe me. It is very easy in this state to pick an area where black ppl are the overwhelming majority. And some of them will tell you that they prefer it that way! And some of them will also tell you that living in an all black community, it makes them uneasy when they do find themselves around white ppl. So my question is, then whom is withdrawing from whom?? So in our current society where "multiculturalism" is preached, why is it ok for black ppl to prefer to live in an all black community but if white ppl prefer to live in an all white community, then it's considered racist?? Don't you see a double standard there??

I'm glad to see you wrote "AND from individual blacks." That has been my experience. Ridicule from black ppl toward OTHER black ppl for their skin tone being darker than average! My point, since you seemed baffled, is that I think much of this attitude is continued generation to generation by black ppl!! So if that is true, then it doesn't make any sense to try to blame white ppl or any other race for the situation.

Accusing white ppl of being racist and purporting this nonsense notion that whites have it somehow easier than blacks is nothing more than an excuse. It is the classic victim mentality. "I'm not able to succeed in life, because white ppl are holding me back."

Old 11-29-2010, 02:15 AM

240 posts, read 443,179 times
Quote:
Yes, they are.

I never said anything about whether or not they spend time around white people. I have no idea why you introduced this.

Unless you live in Africa or Haiti, you will never "live life in this manner." That said, in this society, as I said earlier, you are bombarded with negative, anti-black messages, from white society, from individual whites AND from individual blacks, to the extent that you are affected from Day 1. It's just the way it is here.
Also are you aware of certain public school districts in NJ where the teachers are primarily black and the administrators are primarily black and the Board of Education members are primarily black, that teachers/administrators who apply and are white, rarely get an interview?? Is that a situation that you would consider racist???

Do you ever imagine, that in life, that white ppl DISCRIMINATE against other white ppl?? What I'm tired of hearing is that this issue of racism and discrimination is primarily framed as only happening to black Americans. The reaily of life is very different.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:31 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Oh man. You sound sad. You sound just like you are upset/angry/jealous of blacks. it just shows that you ahve something against blacks.

A quick google of "black organizations" and another for white organizations.

I didn't post the entire list from one website, it was 40 pages long.

For white based organizations, I found 3 total. Not 3 pages, 3 organizations.

I have nothing against anyone, we are all Americans.
I tend to judge the individual, not the group.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:46 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
In todays messed up America, try to have a WET television station, as opposed to, BET or the Black Entertainment Television.

Try having a White Congressional Caucus, as opposed to the Black & Hispanic Congressional Caucus's

Blacks in Government, BIG, was organized in 1975 as a non-profit organization to help Black civil servants. Just think if there was a thing as WIG??

NAAWP, instead of the NAACP? How would that go over?

OWAP, or the Org. of White pilots, opposed to the OBAP?

How about the Phi Beta Sigma Frat? You think a White guy is getting in there? Or the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority?

NSBE? National Society of Black Engineers, how about one for just White engineers?

NABJ? National Assoc of Black Journalist? How about white journalist?

Malcolm X Institute for Black Studies? That is not racist? Hmmmmm?

You see it is all focused on race, not Americans. They are all race based, making them all racist organizations.

If it was White based, you can bet everyone would be screaming at the top of their lungs... RACIST!!
Your post borders on hilarious. Especially the part about the sororities and fraternities. Some of my closest friends are Deltas, and AKA's. My boyfriend's is in a frat and a majority of his friends are Alphas, Sigmas or Omegas (we don't really do Kappas; they're conceited ) A lot of our friends are non-black. And this was at an HBCU...maybe I'm wrong and your comment was meant to be in jest because no sane person can say the things you said with a straight face.

But just in case you are serious (which I hope you're not because then I laughed hysterically for no reason) if you have a problem with groups, programming, etc aimed at a specific race do you also have a difference when it's aimed at sex? No one ever complains about the organizations for women, even though there are hundreds of them. I guess it's okay to be sexist as long as you're not racist.

Oh you forgot the United Negro College Fund in your rant.

But none of that has anything to do with the question so I don't know we're even talking about it.

I say if BET is a problem than so are Lifetime, Spike, Oxygen, Nickelodeon & Disney.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:02 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 Camaro View Post
Well parts of NJ must be located right next to Africa or Haiti then! Check out the demographics of this state if you don't believe me.
I already know the demographics of New Jersey, having lived there for a quarter of a century.

Quote:
It is very easy in this state to pick an area where black ppl are the overwhelming majority. And some of them will tell you that they prefer it that way! And some of them will also tell you that living in an all black community, it makes them uneasy when they do find themselves around white ppl. So my question is, then whom is withdrawing from whom??
There are no municipalities, townships or cities in New Jersey where those of African descent are an overwhelming majority. There are places such as Newark and other urban centers that have large black populations in certain neighborhoods. Even in those places, however, there are plenty of whites in positions of power, be it political, law enforcement or economic. What you do not seem to understand is that most communities with black majorities are that way because whites have moved away from them, not the other way around. Blacks do not force whites away; whites flee anytime the black population gets above a certain tipping point- a rather low percentage, actually. This is the historical pattern in America. If blacks would rather be away from whites, it is because whites have made evident their disdain for blacks from minute one. Whites have denigrated blacks - discounted their very humanity - from the days of slavery in America to the days of "integration" in the last century - and then they wonder why blacks are self-hating, self-destructive and wary of whites of any type. Baffling, I tell ya.

Quote:
So in our current society where "multiculturalism" is preached, why is it ok for black ppl to prefer to live in an all black community but if white ppl prefer to live in an all white community, then it's considered racist?? Don't you see a double standard there??
Actually, I don't want to live in a black community. I want to live in a community with people of all races where blacks are welcome. And in New Jersey, or anywhere else, that is rare to nonexistent.

Quote:
I'm glad to see you wrote "AND from individual blacks." That has been my experience. Ridicule from black ppl toward OTHER black ppl for their skin tone being darker than average! My point, since you seemed baffled, is that I think much of this attitude is continued generation to generation by black ppl!! So if that is true, then it doesn't make any sense to try to blame white ppl or any other race for the situation.
You just made my point for me. Where do you think this black self-hatred comes from? It was not produced by black people, though the internalization of it affects blacks worldwide, chiefly in North America and in Latin America, where it is in many ways even worse than it is here. I don't blame white people per se for this, but I do blame the concept of white supremacy, which remains very much alive to this day and has done much to destroy the progress of all of us, not just black people.

Quote:
Accusing white ppl of being racist and purporting this nonsense notion that whites have it somehow easier than blacks is nothing more than an excuse. It is the classic victim mentality. "I'm not able to succeed in life, because white ppl are holding me back."
If you don't think whites have it easier than anyone else in America, you just haven't opened your eyes.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:19 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,108,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post

I say if BET is a problem than so are Lifetime, Spike, Oxygen, Nickelodeon & Disney.
Disney goes to great pains to be diverse. I haven't watched Nick in years so I can't speak to that. Lifetime and Oxygen are geared toward women while Spike is geared toward men...none of these are specifically geared toward whites. BET is geared toward blacks. Now tell me again why WET would be racist?

As to Oxygen...may I remind you of Bedrock?
LIL' WAYNE - BEDROCK LYRICS

Old 11-30-2010, 09:32 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,973 times
Why does this still have to come down to a RACE THREAD AS USUAL.

Hey look because we maybe don't like the food one eats, or the music, they listen to in no way means we hate the culture, maybe we see the culture differently, and are you kidding me, I myself love black music, and the old goldies. I love Soul cooking, and Soul Music.

But every Nationality has their own culture, but it is not shoved at us. Some take the Culture to be the it, of Culture and it is not that way. Each Culture whether we like or agree with it or not is unique.

I just don't like it when some cultures, think they are a cutlure within themselves, if you want people to love your Culture, then why not embrace everyone who is different then you. Don't hold events just for your own culture, embrace those of us, who may want to be a part, but it is not that way. Some Cultures want you to accept their culture, without, letting anyone from the outside evern get a look in.

And i am so very proud to be ITALIAN AMERICAN, and i think my nationality is it.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:37 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Your post borders on hilarious. Especially the part about the sororities and fraternities. Some of my closest friends are Deltas, and AKA's. My boyfriend's is in a frat and a majority of his friends are Alphas, Sigmas or Omegas (we don't really do Kappas; they're conceited ) A lot of our friends are non-black. And this was at an HBCU...maybe I'm wrong and your comment was meant to be in jest because no sane person can say the things you said with a straight face.

But just in case you are serious (which I hope you're not because then I laughed hysterically for no reason) if you have a problem with groups, programming, etc aimed at a specific race do you also have a difference when it's aimed at sex? No one ever complains about the organizations for women, even though there are hundreds of them. I guess it's okay to be sexist as long as you're not racist.

Oh you forgot the United Negro College Fund in your rant.

But none of that has anything to do with the question so I don't know we're even talking about it.

So, we are not allowed and to be PC, there are no White based organizations, besides a radical violent Arian Nation, which includes the KKK. There are no throw it in your face, "I'm white and proud of it" organizations, to manipulate other races, legally.

But it is perfectly OK to have "throw it in your face" black and hispanic organizations.

That is a double standard, and race based, making them racist, just like the Arian Nation/KKK. There are 100's of them, that people praise daily.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:44 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,531 times
I don't think anyone here would protest if there was a white targeted channel(s)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies