Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your views on blacks having their own media?
There's nothing wrong with it 58 33.53%
It's racist 109 63.01%
I don't know 6 3.47%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 08:18 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Many of you bring up interesting points but I don't think the black media is racist at all. If you mean "racist" by focusing on one race then yes but I wouldn't say it's biggoted.
Black America has it's own distinct culture by the virtue of them being excluded from mainstream American society.
As it is we have tons of different cultures in the US so why can't they have their own radio & Tv stations that promotes their culture? I'm hispanic and we have Univision & Telemundo for our crazy telenovelas!
There is no one American culture since it is built up of a mosaic of many different ones. I happen to watch BET often (106th. & Park, the Game, the Parkers, Jamie Foxx,the Monique show) so if their is a market for it what is the problem?
First bold I strongly disagree. The doors are wide open for them to walk through at any time. If there's a distinct culture of blacks, I'd love to hear them explain it or portray it in positive manner. I haven't seen that spill in here since Jazz was on it's feet running.

Second bold I strongly agree. I don't want to control anyones TV from remote or dictate programming on individual channels. Let them watch what they want. Not my business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 05:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
First bold I strongly disagree. The doors are wide open for them to walk through at any time. If there's a distinct culture of blacks, I'd love to hear them explain it or portray it in positive manner. I haven't seen that spill in here since Jazz was on it's feet running.

Second bold I strongly agree. I don't want to control anyones TV from remote or dictate programming on individual channels. Let them watch what they want. Not my business.
Why should people need to explain things in a way YOU find acceptable, when you aren't interested.

I wish the doors were open, but I absolutely do not believe they are:
Regina King: The Emmys: As White As Ever

Morris W. O'Kelly: Sherri Shepherd: 'I Want to See Some Black Love on TV'

Don't mistake this as an issue that only impacts African-AMericans, butt he same thing happens for all ethnic groups. There are limited roles for anyone to play. Asian = nerd or fob. Latino = cleaning staff or "hot tamale". Black = funny or criminal.

Having separate institutions is the only way to paint a broader picture of our communities. Whether or not the mainstream media (ethnic or otherwise) uses this opportunity is a separate issue.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:16 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
My point, since you obviously did not get it the first twenty times, is that nothing is inherently white. Jeeze. You cited Oxygen as being a white channel. If this was true, why would they include it in a song performed by black people that is presumably about black culture? I was not assuming anything about what black people like/don't like as far as music, just using it as a reference point since many of the people participating on this thread are familiar with that song, not b/c they're black, but b/c it was a popular song.
Stop rolling your eyes and try reading what I'm saying instead of just looking at the words. I didn't say Oxygen as being a white channel.

You are complaining because BET's programming is aimed at a black audience.
Well Oxygen's programming is aimed at a female audience.

What's the difference?

Old 01-25-2011, 10:37 PM

746 posts, read 1,677,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
this is coming from a conversation that took place in another forum concerning "reverse racism" (i.e. racism against whites), in which it was stated that having things like television stations, movies, magazines, etc. that are "exclusively" black is contributing to racism in america. this isn't the first time that i've heard this idea, and it still baffles me that people think this way.

...what i'm trying to figure out is what's so wrong about having ways to celebrate and express our own distinct culture? it doesn't mean that we're trying to separate ourselves from the rest of society
Yeah right, if whites were going to say NBC or CBS is going to be all-white, there would be riots in the streets.

I have no problem with blacks, hispanics, asians, or anyone else having their own stations.
But everyone should be then equal. No one person of any race is higher or lower than any one other person. If BET exists, so should WET, am I right?

Last edited by The_gateway; 01-25-2011 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-26-2011, 05:59 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
Yeah right, if whites were going to say NBC or CBS is going to be all-white, there would be riots in the streets.

I have no problem with blacks, hispanics, asians, or anyone else having their own stations.
But everyone should be then equal. No one person of any race is higher or lower than any one other person. If BET exists, so should WET, am I right?
No. Read the thread.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:20 PM

746 posts, read 1,677,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
No. Read the thread.
I did read the thread. No one person on this earth is above or below any other person on this earth.
I'm okay with black having a BET, but I also think its fair for whites to have a right to have a WET...Just sayin'
Tell me why I'm wrong.

Last edited by The_gateway; 01-26-2011 at 11:45 PM..

Old 01-26-2011, 11:41 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
I did read the thread. No one person on this earth is above or below any other person on this earth.
I'm okay with black having a BET, but I also its fair for whites tohave a right to have a WET...Just sayin'
Tell me why i'm wrong.

I did so............all over the thread.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:47 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,628 times
I like the idea, as long as it isn't something that exploits and overly objectifies our women and demonizes our men the way BET endorses (what a shameful excuse for "Black" television). I love the idea of Black media whose goal is empowering and representing Blacks in an inspiring and positive way. No, I don't believe it's racist at all, because Blacks are and have been historically underrepresented or misrepresented in the media, and it's time to change those images.

I don't understand why whites are so afraid of Blacks gaining some independence in this still-white-dominated nation with mostly whites in its upper socioeconomic classes. What are you so afraid of? That's what we need, we need our own media, our own banks, our own retailers, our own businesses and train and employ our own people, and more prestigious academic institutions that belong solely to us. When it comes to Blacks and us becoming independent of a white-owned, white-dominated, and white-favored system and improving the status of our own people and communities and creating our own institutions to help ourselves the same way Jewish people do, and the same way the British did when they immigrated to North America; when it comes to Black independence, I do take the road of Black nationalism because I believe it's the better option for us, instead of competing like animals to try to break our backs trying to fit into an inherently bigoted and racist European system that wasn't created for our convenience or economic advancement anyway.

We've put ourselves in the position where we keep stepping on eggshells around Europeans trying to get to where they set the bar for us, instead of creating our own standard. I'm not against integration and diversity and I'm not prejudiced against white people, but I do believe that integrating with whites stunted opportunities for Blacks to become unified and integrate amongst ourselves first so that we could gain some economic advantage first.

That's just my frank opinion about it, and I think white people are afraid of this Black media because it's a blatant demonstration of positive and successful Blacks who are united and becoming strong, and I guess whites simply don't like to see that image being advertised to the public.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:49 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,628 times
Quote:
I'm okay with black having a BET, but I also think its fair for whites to have a right to have a WET...Just sayin'
Tell me why I'm wrong.
Why would whites even need a WET in the first place? Where's the demand for that? The majority of media already has ownership by whites.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:22 AM

347 posts, read 695,859 times
This is an aside here...but what's with the portrayal of obese unattractive black women on tv?Seems like such actresses find it easier to get work than slim beautiful black women. I was looking at pics from the Golden Globes and couldnt find a single obese white actress. This may sound superficial but the whole of Hollywood is superficial and portrays glamorous, skinny beauties that are not representative of the overall American population...except for when it comes to black women. Out of the 4 black women in pics I saw at the Globes..2 were very overweight. Out of the other 90 or so pics I saw of white women not one was even close to overweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies